Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you were looking for a new home, where would your search begin?
Drive around the area of where you would like to live, and see whats to offer? 10 50.00%
Check the local Paper? 2 10.00%
Call a realtor? 1 5.00%
Search Online? 13 65.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:43 PM

63 posts, read 212,155 times

Advertisements

If you were set out to find a new home, where would your search begin? Drive around the area of where you would like to live, and see what it has to offer? Search the local paper? Or call a realtor? Or search Online?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 10:28 PM

108 posts, read 371,163 times
I'm just looking for rentals right now, but I tend to keep my eye open for signs in neighborhoods I'm interested in, just in case. if there's anything there, I'll follow up and once those leads are exhausted, then it's off to a realtor (if buying, mgmt companies for rentals).

Old 02-05-2008, 04:25 AM

745 posts, read 2,228,534 times
Technically, our search began with driving around the area, but the bulk of it was done online, since we live 600 miles away. We then called a local realtor to take us around. We didn't find the paper to be much help.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:10 AM

7 posts, read 20,265 times
I signed up here:

Greer Simpsonville SC Real Estate Greenville South Carolina - Home Page

They have a fantastic frontend to the MLS system that allows you to do complex searches.

After signing up there, I bothered poor Mike Skillin for about a year before going down there and finding a house.

Be sure to sign up for the 'virtual office'. The searching ability there is much more full featured.

Last edited by drewls; 02-05-2008 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: forgot to mention the virtual office

Old 02-05-2008, 04:25 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,886,409 times
I checked "search online." I start out online because it's too hard for me to travel long distances just to look at a house or community. Then I contacted a real estate agent to give me his/her expertise on the area and make suggestions. Soon I will drive to the area I think I prefer to check out the homes for sale. Of course, because of the state of our economy (everywhere) it's important to understand market conditions and what job opportunities are available.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:28 PM

241 posts, read 385,229 times
We arranged to have a realtor drive us around and show us the maps in order to do MLS searches online. Once we got a sense of the layout and some neighborhoods we liked, it was almost easier to go through the online search.

But, at the risk of threadjacking, are there any properties available that aren't up on the MLS search engines?

Old 02-05-2008, 04:47 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,886,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfuprof View Post
We arranged to have a realtor drive us around and show us the maps in order to do MLS searches online. Once we got a sense of the layout and some neighborhoods we liked, it was almost easier to go through the online search.

But, at the risk of threadjacking, are there any properties available that aren't up on the MLS search engines?
Have you tried this site?

[URL="http://www.ggfsbo.com/"]Greenville SC For Sale By Owner, South Carolina Real Estate, Greenville SC Real Estate[/URL]

When I finally get up to SC, I'll also ask my real estate agent about listings that went off the market, if that's what you meant. I can't find some homes that I saw listed a few months ago and am wondering if they sold or the owners decided to take them off of the market for a while. I'm not a real estate agent, but I assume there is such a list.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:07 PM

63 posts, read 212,155 times
i am a local builder, and i don't currently advertise on the MLS. I know of quite a few new home builders that dont have MLS listings either.. Just trying to get a better feel, thanks everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area