Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 05:14 PM

1,849 posts, read 2,781,577 times

Advertisements

The Taylors Mill has grown rapidly over the past several years as a place to host artists and related businesses. Suddenly, the future is in jeopardy, right before the annual Open Studios event. I'm not a fire safety expert, but I hope a workaround can be found without a potential public hazard in the event of an incident.

Budding art scene put on hold at Taylors Mill

Quote:
It's listed on state and national registers of historic places, noted as an intact example of cotton mill engineering and design in the early 20th century. J.E. Sirrine Company of Greenville designed it, like other mills across the state, and it operated from 1924 until 1965, shaping the way of life for the entire town.

But now, just as its rebirth has begun to take shape, as light pours through banks of repaired windows to ignite different dimensions of art in domination, the future is in doubt.

Greenville County issued a stop-work order at Taylors Mill Properties this week, bringing a halt to renovations to indoor common areas shared by some of the mill's current and would-be tenants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 05:35 PM

21,035 posts, read 27,412,934 times
Approximately 20 years ago, the Taylors Mill community was in rough shape. Criminal activity was at a level it forced the closure and removal of the Bridge Road bridge over the Enoree River. Mill Street is the only inlet and outlet for Taylors Mill.

Revitalizing and keeping the historic Taylors Mill is a necessity for revitalizing the proper center of the Taylors community. I hope the stop-work order is temporary where plans are solidified to rehabilitate the mill safely and allow activity to flourish.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:02 PM

12,638 posts, read 32,169,189 times
I hope they keep it open. It's a neat place we stumbled upon when going to that building in the back with a huge warehouse of all kinds of used items. I know they have art nights the first Friday of the month which we hope to check out.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:57 AM

843 posts, read 1,437,779 times
They have posted on facebook that only studios with exterior access will be available to be open on First Fridays this week. I have seen some artist offer their space to people who are being affected by this.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:32 AM

1,955 posts, read 2,779,545 times
Due South Coffee Roasters article: Blue Willow Contemplations: I Think It Might be Due South

Old 01-05-2016, 07:50 AM

690 posts, read 1,152,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
Atmosphere is great but coffee is meh. I've had their pour over's a few times and they've always been weak and luke warm. Which frankly is quite disgusting.

Bought some roasted beans to try and it was pretty good but price was way out of line (14 dollars for 12 oz of beans?!?! Really?)

Signage & lighting of that whole area needs vast improvement. At night you feel like you're driving into sketchytown and parking lot is dark. Not very comforting for those scared of anything.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:21 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,684,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valien View Post

Bought some roasted beans to try and it was pretty good but price was way out of line (14 dollars for 12 oz of beans?!?! Really?)
$12 - $14 is the going rate for local / regional, fresh roasted beans.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:16 PM

690 posts, read 1,152,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
$12 - $14 is the going rate for local / regional, fresh roasted beans.
Yeah which is pretty steep for sure. Yes, I get all the 'local' blah blah and of course they have to import the beans so that adds up. As well as resource scaling but you can guarantee they have 75-80% profit margins on roasted beans.

Not saying those margins are bad but I'm not enough of a coffee purist to spend that much on a normal basis..heh

Old 01-07-2016, 03:40 AM

1,955 posts, read 2,779,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valien View Post
Atmosphere is great but coffee is meh. I've had their pour over's a few times and they've always been weak and luke warm. Which frankly is quite disgusting.

Signage & lighting of that whole area needs vast improvement. At night you feel like you're driving into sketchytown and parking lot is dark. Not very comforting for those scared of anything.
Good coffee reaches its peak in flavor when it is lukewarm. That not be your taste. Some like it super hot, but hot water burns the beans. That creates a bitter taste that some like. It's all a matter of your preference, but it is meant to be enjoyed lukewarm.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:36 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,820,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
Good coffee reaches its peak in flavor when it is lukewarm. That not be your taste. Some like it super hot, but hot water burns the beans. That creates a bitter taste that some like. It's all a matter of your preference, but it is meant to be enjoyed lukewarm.
I think this might be the most ridiculous post I've seen here in awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area