Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2008, 04:21 AM

13 posts, read 51,926 times

Advertisements

hello everyone..
long story short, i'm american, my husband is british, we are in our mid 20's, he's a carpenter, i'm a nursery school teacher, & we plan on relocating back to the states next spring. we are free thinking, open minded people who like outdoor cafes, pedestrian-friendly areas, independantly owned businesses, rivers, mountains, ect.. I'm catholic & go to church occasionally, my husband isn't religious in the slightest but comes w/ me anyway. We've already been in Asheville & Black Mountain and loved it, but have heard great things about Greenville as well. we're looking for a place where there's culture, diversty and also work for a carpenter. An ideal house we'd like to buy would have a mountain view of some kind. Any opinions as to which area sounds better for us? Also, has anyone met any british people in Greenville?
Many thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 11:03 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,734,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Like a Rolling Stone View Post
hello everyone..
long story short, i'm american, my husband is british, we are in our mid 20's, he's a carpenter, i'm a nursery school teacher, & we plan on relocating back to the states next spring. we are free thinking, open minded people who like outdoor cafes, pedestrian-friendly areas, independantly owned businesses, rivers, mountains, ect.. I'm catholic & go to church occasionally, my husband isn't religious in the slightest but comes w/ me anyway. We've already been in Asheville & Black Mountain and loved it, but have heard great things about Greenville as well. we're looking for a place where there's culture, diversty and also work for a carpenter. An ideal house we'd like to buy would have a mountain view of some kind. Any opinions as to which area sounds better for us? Also, has anyone met any british people in Greenville?
Many thanks in advance!
I work in Boiling Springs with a guy who's British. Really nice guy.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:43 PM

5,595 posts, read 15,392,503 times
Hi, Like a Rolling Stone!

Yes, there are indeed British transplants in Greenville! I don't have a number to provide how many there are, but I have encountered several in various places around the city within the past few years. Two places you may want to check out to find more information are, the International Center of the Upstate in downtown Greenville, and English Country Tea Rooms in Taylors (
video).

One other note... Greenville is definitely a better place for a carpenter.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:43 PM

269 posts, read 1,011,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Like a Rolling Stone View Post
hello everyone..
Many thanks in advance!
Asheville is a great little city,with lots of diversity. It is a special place where Free spirits abound. The local mind set is very open and more spiritual than religious! There are several outlets for Cafe Society to mix and mingle. The whole Asheville area is a Outdoor playland for outdoor enthusiast! I would highly recomend it to you! Best of luck!

Old 02-07-2008, 09:02 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,814,761 times
^^There you go bashing Greenville again. Why are you posting about Asheville when he wants to hear about Greenville instead? My best friend's dad is from England and he loves it here so there.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:14 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,799,596 times
Asheville does sound like a better fit for you, from the little bit you posted about yourselves. You will probably find a lot more like-minded people in your age group there. There are some of the little cafes/pedestrian areas here on Main street in Greenville, but it is not in the mountains, and its more uptight. In order to get that mountain vibe and the mountain views, you'll have to live pretty far from Greenville - closer to Asheville. The thing about Asheville is that it is hard to be a homeowner on a teacher's and carpenter's wages - something that is not a problem here in Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area