Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 08:57 AM

12,638 posts, read 32,207,030 times

Advertisements

Do you think a sloping lot, in this area, is desirable? I know it's common around here to have a home on a sloping lot. Many go up or down and even left to right. What are the pros and cons and what do you prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 09:32 AM

131 posts, read 215,519 times
Define sloping? 2%, 5%, 10%? The last two houses we have owned had sloping lots, in excess of 5%, even 10 in places. It all depends on what you want to do with your yard. If you have kids I would recommend a flatter yard so they can play ball, run around, ride bikes, etc. We don't have kids so we don't have an issue with it. If you are elderly and have difficulty getting around I would go flat. We have not sought out sloping lots though, it has just worked out that way.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:56 AM

12,638 posts, read 32,207,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenvilleEngineer View Post
Define sloping? 2%, 5%, 10%? The last two houses we have owned had sloping lots, in excess of 5%, even 10 in places. It all depends on what you want to do with your yard. If you have kids I would recommend a flatter yard so they can play ball, run around, ride bikes, etc. We don't have kids so we don't have an issue with it. If you are elderly and have difficulty getting around I would go flat. We have not sought out sloping lots though, it has just worked out that way.
It's about a 5-6 foot slope, left to right. I would say it calculates a 5% slope. We are not elderly and the kids are grown.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:20 PM

696 posts, read 1,342,066 times
There may be considerations if you are installing a septic system.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:51 AM

607 posts, read 594,654 times
One problem with some flat lots is that they are at the bottom of a hill, or are in a flood plane. Our lot slopes, ranging from 5-10%, and the slope worked out perfect for a walk-out basement. If it is side-to-side, it can be tricky designing a house that looks good. Drive around and look for houses built on a similar slope. Otherwise, as long as it isn't too steep it's fine. Mowing a steep slope can be dangerous, and it may be hard to place a bigger garden. We are doing raised beds to level the 'playing field'.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:17 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,240,478 times
I have a sloping lot. I've sworn, the next home I buy, the lot will be level - it's a real PITA! I am in the midst of putting mulch on one of the hills so I no longer have to mow it, which is really a pain. Has to be done with a hand mower. I've learned what I want next time I buy a house, and what I don't want next time. A level, and smaller lot will be on my "want list!"

Old 02-03-2016, 10:55 AM

7,267 posts, read 4,692,417 times
Our front yard is pretty much level but starting at the front edge of the house and going back it slopes down just enough to have a basement. The backyard continues to slowly slope down to a small creek too. Was also fun to sled on in the snow. I plan to one day use the slope to my advantage and add a small pond with a long waterfall in. I think it offers some better landscaping options with flower beds, etc.

The only 'issues' I've had are: Mowing is more tiring with a slight slope if I mow up/down direction of the slope but if I mow at an angle or just left/right direction then its just like mowing the level front really (push mower). And about maybe two years ago when we got a ton of rain in one month the main drainage path of the water washed away a good amount of dirt and grass in this one area. Some care and grass seed later it's all back to normal. That was the only time it's done that.

I'm from the coast originally so everything was flat, so for now I prefer a slope.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:40 PM

6,904 posts, read 22,609,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I have a sloping lot. I've sworn, the next home I buy, the lot will be level - it's a real PITA! I am in the midst of putting mulch on one of the hills so I no longer have to mow it, which is really a pain. Has to be done with a hand mower. I've learned what I want next time I buy a house, and what I don't want next time. A level, and smaller lot will be on my "want list!"
I have one of those too and now that I'm alone, not sure what to do with it. We've been lucky that some Pine Trees have started right behind the house and that is starting to shield the afternoon sun and decrease the growth in that area. Our HOA regularly sends us warnings to cut the hill. I didn't want this house because of the hill, but my husband overruled me. Now I'm stuck with it!

How did the mulch you've added survive today's rain?

Old 02-05-2016, 10:06 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,240,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I have one of those too and now that I'm alone, not sure what to do with it. We've been lucky that some Pine Trees have started right behind the house and that is starting to shield the afternoon sun and decrease the growth in that area. Our HOA regularly sends us warnings to cut the hill. I didn't want this house because of the hill, but my husband overruled me. Now I'm stuck with it!

How did the mulch you've added survive today's rain?

If they are the scrubby pines, get rid of them. If you have read my other post of the trouble I've had with trees from the lot next door to me falling in my yard (and previous owners, on the house) you wouldn't want them anywhere nearby.

The mulch is doing great. I was worried it would wash down, but these are good size pieces. It's been a lot of work has it's single ground mulch, but there's single, double and triple all within, so I'm actually doing my best to sift out and only use the medium pieces for this project. I'm only half way done, but I think it will be successful once it's complete. I read so many posts about how it wouldn't stay up on a really slopey hill - not true! It's gone through rain, and 6" of snow already.

See attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Sloping lot-mulch-hill.jpg  

Old 02-05-2016, 09:18 PM

6,904 posts, read 22,609,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
If they are the scrubby pines, get rid of them. If you have read my other post of the trouble I've had with trees from the lot next door to me falling in my yard (and previous owners, on the house) you wouldn't want them anywhere nearby.

The mulch is doing great. I was worried it would wash down, but these are good size pieces. It's been a lot of work has it's single ground mulch, but there's single, double and triple all within, so I'm actually doing my best to sift out and only use the medium pieces for this project. I'm only half way done, but I think it will be successful once it's complete. I read so many posts about how it wouldn't stay up on a really slopey hill - not true! It's gone through rain, and 6" of snow already.

See attached picture.
Good to know as I consider my options. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area