Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2016, 08:00 AM

635 posts, read 754,609 times

Advertisements

Are there any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 09:42 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,668,513 times
Have had 2 companies, and poor experiences with both.

One did not reimburse us on time and sometimes did not even try and collect from the renter. Another one sent letters to the renter and when he paid 25 days late with the late-fee, the management company kept those fees ( in addition to their 10 %) and paid us the rent a month late. We did not renew with either of them.

Now we have good renters and get lower than the going rate monthly rental but then they maintain the property well, pay on time and follow the HOA regulations. And that is the best we can hope for.

Last edited by kamban; 03-21-2016 at 10:18 AM..

Old 03-21-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
Have had 2 companies, and poor experiences with both.

One did nto reimburse us on time and sometimes did not even try and collect from the renter. Another one sent letters to the renter and when he paid 25 days late with the late-fee, the management company kept those fees ( in addition to their 10 %) and paid us the rent a month late. We did not renew with either of them.

Now we have good renters and get lower than the going rate monthly rental but then they maintain the property well, pay on time and follow the HOA regulations. And that is the best we can hope for.
I had a bad experience with two as well. The worst one was a company that kept the fact the tenant had a pet. I wasn't too happy........

Old 03-21-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
I had a bad experience with two as well. The worst one was a company that kept the fact the tenant had a pet. I wasn't too happy........
Suggest putting a sign on the window of the place you intend to rent. People drive by and call your number after seeing it. Then get them to fill the application form and ask for their latest credit report. This way you can screen out the problem renters.

This is what I have done and so far it has worked out well

Old 03-21-2016, 01:04 PM

24 posts, read 24,513 times
CCUGal, I sent you a PM on this topic.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:49 AM

506 posts, read 1,222,938 times
I use Creative Housing for two rental houses and have been using them for a few years now, and I'm pretty happy. Their fee is 8% which is already lower than most other companies. If they collect a late rent fee they keep half and give half to the homeowner. They've been able to get my houses rented almost immediately at a good price with no issues, and they have taken care of everything perfectly for me. They also pay for repairs up front and allow you to pay out of the rent collected. You don't pay anything until they collect rent.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:21 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,824,479 times
I use Marketplace Homes. They charge $3/day (so $100 month). They do charge a leasing fee of first month rent. If the tenant breaks the lease for some reason the company will re-fill at no cost, plus they cover all legal fees.

When I first used them my house was filled within days, excellent tenant that is still with us.

I heard C Dan Joyner is good, they also have a good corporate department with agreements with several of the larger multi-national manufacturing companies in the Upstate.

But in this current market, if you are willing to put up with some of the hassle/risk and do the legwork, you should be able to rent your home fairly quickly and save $$$.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:37 AM

If I lease the property on my own, how can I get an unbiased price of what my unit should go for? Do I just base it off what the typical house is renting for on Craigslist?

Old 03-23-2016, 07:36 AM

Asking people of what rents are in that area, Craigslist and even cold calling nearby vacancies to see what they are renting for will give you an idea of the rental fee you should charge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area