Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 05:47 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times

Advertisements

a restaurant with a lot of tourists in its customer base doesn't mean it is a great restaurant.

Greenville has more people than Asheville so it is also has more rich people, and there is a much bigger middle class here to support restaurants than in Asheville, so the tourism there isn't a major advantage for restaurants compared to here.

I don't believe Asheville has more upscale dining options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 06:29 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Greenville has more people than Asheville so it is also has more rich people, and there is a much bigger middle class here to support restaurants than in Asheville, so the tourism there isn't a major advantage for restaurants compared to here.
This.

There are far more things factoring into a town than retirees. Yes, the retirees and some tourists may be able to afford fine dining, but that's it as far as Asheville is concerned. Asheville is an extremely difficult place to make a living in (I lived there), and for the vast majority of people there dinner at the Grove Park - or wherever, is simply not an option.

Greenville has a vibrant economy, with a young, thriving middle-class - plus a much lower cost of living that allows fine dining.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:05 AM

730 posts, read 774,727 times
Hilton Head has 40,00 people and I bet it has more rich people than GSP.

There are definitely more nice restaurants as there are 2.5 million visitors a year on top of the 40K that live there.

Last edited by Clever nickname here; 04-02-2016 at 09:14 AM..

Old 04-02-2016, 07:48 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:

So a smaller metro than Greenville in Asheville has good restaurants but not Greenville? Seems doubtful.
Quote:

Greenville has more people than Asheville so it also has more rich people, and there is a much bigger middle class here to support restaurants than in Asheville, so the tourism there isn't a major advantage for restaurants compared to here.

I don't believe Asheville has more upscale dining options.
Holy cow. Asheville is known as a farm-to-table, organic, foodie destination. The variety is amazing for a town it's size. The chefs at the independent restaurants have spent a couple of decades developing relationships with local farmers, so the food is overall more locally-sourced than Greenville. And serious chefs are drawn to this. Asheville has more than three million visitors a year to support all the restaurants. In 2014, Livability named Asheville #4 of the Top 10 foodie cities. It's made other lists also.

AIR Asheville

Foodtopia | Asheville, NC's Official Travel Site

Asheville 60 Best Restaurants

Why Food Lovers Are Loving Asheville | Food & Wine

Walking Food Tours @ Asheville's Best Restaurants

The Food Scene: Asheville Restaurants | Departures

2014 10 Best Foodie Cities | Livability

Old 04-03-2016, 11:41 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
according to the Visit Greenville website, there are 6 farm to table places in the Greenville area. Greenville SC Farm to Table Restaurants : VisitGreenvilleSC Official Travel Source

Personally I don't think that a restaurant has to be farm to table to be a good restaurant, and those types of restaurants are probably pretty pricey. Obviously service, atmosphere, price, etc are factors in how much people like a restaurant.

Here is a list of accolades Greenville has received, some are food related. http://www.visitgreenvillesc.com/new...ades/?start=26 Southern Living, Esquire and other publications have praised Greenville's food scene.

what happens to tourism in Asheville in the winter time? I would think it drops off big time. Greenville has a better job scene which means more business travelers in town, not to mention more people living in the metro.

comparing the two on google maps, it appears Greenville has more restaurants both local and chain. And chains like California Dreaming and Cheesecake Factory that it does not. for me part of being a food city is more options.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:06 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,095,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever nickname here View Post
-Asheville just has more upscale dining options.
-Tourists, Tourists, Tourists. Asheville is huge tourism town.
-More well heeled retirees with plenty of disposable income in the Asheville area. Greenville has only recently become a popular alternative to Asheville for retirees.
-Asheville's wealth is in a more condensed area. The Asheville MSA is 2000 square miles and the Greenville-Spartanburg MSA is 6000 square miles.
-In addition to the smaller area the Asheville MSA's population gets even more condensed by how hard/expensive building on the mountains is.
-Also, East Coast old money has been retreating to the mountains of NC, during the summer, for over a 100 years now.
-But mostly- Tourists, Tourists, Tourists. There are six 4 or 5 star hotels in Asheville and two in GSP.
Asheville also gas a huge dirty, hippy, druggie homeless issue in it's downtown. Downtown Greenville blows away downtown Asheville, and it's not even close.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:36 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
i like both Asheville and Greenville but the food at restaurants in Asheville is much better. One problem that I have in Greenville is the food is inconsistent. One time you go out to eat and it's good and then another time, it's not good. I guess it all matters what cook is on. In Asheville, we've never had a bad meal. My favorite pizza is there

Old 04-03-2016, 02:03 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,263,334 times
I saw your question and wanted to answer: we moved out of a lifetime in No. CA in '10 and settled in Richmond, VA. People kept saying, "Boy, it sure must be different from what you're used to."

Occasionally, here and there: yes. Mainly: no.

One time I asked a woman a question at a farmers' market. Instead of answering "yes" she answered, "I reckon." One time I saw a woman driving her van and smoking a pipe which startled me.

Now we're in Atlanta, and nothing has seemed unusual. Our culture moves so much that life isn't like it was fifty years ago when different states would have been really different.

All that said, a small southern town might be different than CA, but not -- I don't think -- in a marked way.

I'm open to being wrong, but my experience over 6.5 years has been . . . uneventful. Plus the fun of being in an entirely different region (from CA) is an absolute blast. It's like going on vacation but you get to stay in your new region and really, really explore. (And the beaches here are awesome!)

I will never relocate back to CA. And I was there 46 years. My parents and grandparents were proud to be Californians. So when I moved to VA and then GA I was surprised to find that there is a really beautiful world outside of CA (CA's PR people are excellent at keeping their fairytale. . .)

Alley

Old 04-03-2016, 06:44 PM

615 posts, read 536,419 times
My wife and I live in the Charlotte area, and we often do trips (sometimes overnight and sometimes day trips) to cities in the region. We have visited Asheville, Greenville, Columbia, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Raleigh, Charleston, Savannah and others. It is refreshing to get away even if it is for the day. But we get to see how other cities in the area are prospering. We try to keep our interests in the downtown area except for attractions like the zoo in Columbia or Biltmore House in Asheville. All the cities mentioned above have downtowns that are expanding with good food and things to see. Asheville is said to be more liberal. I do not know that for sure, but I do know that it has a flourishing craft beer market and the city itself has a feel of edginess. But that is okay because all of us are not alike. My wife and I have enjoyed Greenville and Asheville and have eaten well in both cities.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:24 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,394,978 times
Quote:
i don't know how many people in 30's and above really care about things like live local music and Gville and CLemson get major music artists and Atlanta and Charlotte and Columbia and Charleston are not far for other big concerts.
Actually, the live music scene is the thing I miss most after moving back here from the Raleigh Durham area. I generally don't care for the "major" acts that play Clemson or Bon Secours. The Handlebar shutting down was a huge blow to the area in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area