Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 07:56 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by millers1987 View Post
According to the SC DMV application for title and plate transfer we have to pay sales tax on our vehicles again in addition to the property tax. I have also read this on other sites. I'd love to be wrong on this one since being taxed a second time is crazy.
Well we paid sales taxes when we bought both cars in Illinois. We only paid property tax when we transferred to SC. Unless its something new I'm not familiar with it. Maybe if you never paid sales taxes you would upon transfer? Many states have that stipulation including Illinois I believe.

If you can give the tax dept. an address perhaps they can tell you what you'd pay when you move. Try calling them. If you need the website dm me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 08:20 PM

353 posts, read 1,149,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millers1987 View Post
According to the SC DMV application for title and plate transfer we have to pay sales tax on our vehicles again in addition to the property tax. I have also read this on other sites. I'd love to be wrong on this one since being taxed a second time is crazy.

When I moved here 2 years ago I only had to pay the property tax on both my vehichles, not sales tax again. I would have remembered paying sales tax again on 2 $50K vehichles.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1v3rRat View Post
When I moved here 2 years ago I only had to pay the property tax on both my vehichles, not sales tax again. I would have remembered paying sales tax again on 2 $50K vehichles.
You are going to pay a lot of property tax on those 2 50K vehicles. Our 97 Cadillac in 2003 (year we moved here) was $283 and 2007 was $108. Our neighbor has a new van first year they paid $440 and second year $317. If you don't want to pay property tax you've got to have an older car.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:16 AM

Oh I know.... I remember writing the checks for both of them.... Both vehichles were 05's.... I just paid taxes last month for this year both were around $400.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:42 PM

16 posts, read 63,872 times
Quote:
You are correct. You DO NOT have to pay sales tax on a vehicle you tansfer to SC. You DO have to pay property tax. The reason it says it on the form is because you use that form for newly aquired vehicles as well as transfers into the state.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:31 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
I don't understand why they have income "levels" for state tax if the highest is $12,000 a year. So, in other words, is it 7% for just about everyone who makes a living?

One reason it probably seems so high to me is that I moved to FL from NH. Both states do not tax income (although NH taxes dividends and interest over a certain amount) I guess I need to do the math to make sure I'll be saving money. Just because the cost of a home and the property tax is much less, doesn't meant it's cheaper overall.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:21 AM

91 posts, read 378,596 times
There are a number of tax guides available on the internet. A lot depends on your bracket because the state income tax is fairly high. All in all though, if you are in a high bracket, you likely have a home which would have very high property tax in most other states. The house itself on average would only cost about 80% of the US average for homes.
Regarding the tax on property, it is still cheaper than paying an 8% sales tax when you purchase an automobile in another state. If you did pay a sales tax on a car previous to relocating to SC, it may be applied to the property tax after you move.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:14 AM

So if I paid 7% sales tax on a $50k vehichle in FL before I moved here, thats $3500. Are you saying that I can apply that toward my SC property tax on my vehichle when I moved here....essentially not having to pay property tax which was around $675..... or just a portion of my sales tax may be applied.... and if just a portion... what percentage.?

Ummmmm not so sure about that....

Old 02-16-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
So if I paid 7% sales tax on a $50k vehichle in FL before I moved here, thats $3500. Are you saying that I can apply that toward my SC property tax on my vehichle when I moved here....essentially not having to pay property tax which was around $675..... or just a portion of my sales tax may be applied.... and if just a portion... what percentage.?

Ummmmm not so sure about that....
Doesn't sound right to me either. Usually the sales tax stipulation would apply if as a SC resident you bought a car in FL.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:50 PM

Like myrc60 said...applied to SC sales tax yes..... property tax...no.

Sales tax and property tax are two completely seperate animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area