U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 07:12 AM

41 posts, read 248,840 times

Advertisements

I need a clear explanation on the paying out of the taxes. What is SC state tax? I also read on another thread ex: that Easley has higher sales tax than Greer??? Are each of the counties taxed differently??? Can someone clear this up for me? Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 09:51 AM

91 posts, read 357,868 times
Taxes in SC are low but somewhat complicated. The terminology seems to vary among posters to make matters worse. MY understanding is: Sales tax= tax on stuff you purchase from cars to food. Property tax= tax on stuff you own like cars,boats,houses. Income tax=tax on what you earn. With that in mind go here Moving to South Carolina Tax Guide
Keep in mind that there is a property tax assessed on your car and boat annually, but when you buy the car or boat, the maximum sales tax is only $300.00.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:00 AM

353 posts, read 1,064,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coasters View Post
Keep in mind that there is a property tax assessed on your boat annually

Not if you register it in GA..... Oops...did I say that out loud....

Old 02-12-2008, 04:05 PM

91 posts, read 357,868 times
Yes SC is very shortsighted because not only do boat owners not register, but the boating and marina business all goes to North Carolina and Georgia. The boat tax is higher than the other property taxes. No one in their right mind would register a large boat or a yacht in SC. Government seems to think boat owners are rich guys ready to be taken but they are astute people and they simply go elsewhere.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:17 PM

I would pay a fortune in taxes on my boat. Which is why I keep it registered in GA. Best part is, it's legal too.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:19 PM

41 posts, read 248,840 times
I guess what I meant to say is: how much of a percent out of your paycheck is taken by SC for state tax after the fed withhold. I hear you have to pay SC tax out of payroll as well, do I understand right?

Old 02-12-2008, 08:17 PM

140 posts, read 246,013 times
We will be moving to the Greenville area in the near future and are pretty unhappy with the high tax rate on travel trailers. I see that boat owners are legally registering their boats in Georgia and NC, but am wondering if that is only because they keep their boats in those states? Is it possible to legally register an RV elsewhere?

Our state income tax will be doubling when we move here, but the thing that really ticks me off is being required to pay sales tax on vehicles we already paid sales tax on. I can't believe this practice is even legal!

Old 02-12-2008, 09:29 PM

As far as the RV goes.... not sure that would work. You still have to get a license plate for your RV and before that happens you'll need proof you paid your personal property tax on it...

Old 02-14-2008, 08:35 AM

6,544 posts, read 20,820,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millers1987 View Post
We will be moving to the Greenville area in the near future and are pretty unhappy with the high tax rate on travel trailers. I see that boat owners are legally registering their boats in Georgia and NC, but am wondering if that is only because they keep their boats in those states? Is it possible to legally register an RV elsewhere?

Our state income tax will be doubling when we move here, but the thing that really ticks me off is being required to pay sales tax on vehicles we already paid sales tax on. I can't believe this practice is even legal!
You've already paid sales taxes on those vehicles; when you move here you will pay annual property taxes on them.

Income tax withholding on your paycheck for the state maybe higher than your federal withholding. It is for us. Of course it also depends on how many exemptions you claim. We claim 1.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:24 PM

140 posts, read 246,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
You've already paid sales taxes on those vehicles; when you move here you will pay annual property taxes on them.
According to the SC DMV application for title and plate transfer we have to pay sales tax on our vehicles again in addition to the property tax. I have also read this on other sites. I'd love to be wrong on this one since being taxed a second time is crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area