Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 04:16 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,053,341 times

Advertisements

Just thought I start a fun thread about each one of these. Each has a distinct downtown and feel. They all have restaurants, bars, shops, retail, etc. They all hold fun community events as well. Feel free to tell or compare what you know or like to share about each one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 10:46 PM

13 posts, read 17,781 times
Only been to TR downtown but it has really undergone a great influx of new businesses over the last couple years. It is great to see.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:57 AM

893 posts, read 790,464 times
I am interested in small towns around Greenville that are growing and I would like to see pics of downtown Travelers Rest.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:42 AM

68 posts, read 72,156 times
This is definitely a thread I have an interest in. I hope people chime in. The only thing I feel in can share is how it seems Greer has a lot of growth potential. There looks to be lots of available business space.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:00 AM

142 posts, read 176,526 times
My husband and I are coming out to Greenville and TR in a week and a half to check out the area for a vacation/retirement home! We're mostly looking at a development on Paris Mountain, which will give us great views, close proximity to Greenville and TR, and not be too far from the mountains. So... I can't add any info to the discussion, but will watch the comments with interest! It sounds like TR is a cool little town!

Old 04-11-2016, 08:15 AM

53 posts, read 62,415 times
I don't go to Simpsonville, too far, but Greer and TR have great little downtowns. Right now I give the edge to TR. TR has the Swamp Rabbit trail which has brought a ton lately. I personally enjoy Cafe at Williams Hardware, Sidewall Pizza, Swamp Rabbit Taproom, Copperhead Mountain Distillery, Sunrift, and more. I feel like Greer has a ton of potential and hopefully it will get there soon, but I rarely go there and just to eat. I live in Taylors. We don't really have anything yet, but I am looking forward to the developments at Taylors Mill. So far, Due South Coffee is there and some art galleries but 13 Stripes Brewery is opening soon! Can't wait for that!

Old 04-11-2016, 08:27 AM

I've only driven through downtown TR a couple times. It has a cute downtown with restaurants, coffee shops, shops, tap room and more. I know more about downtown Greer. I''ve gone to several of their events and also visited some of the restaurants/bars in their downtown. They also have a downtown Alive on Tuesday evenings. The events are very family friendly. The bars host live bands and DJ's. Stomping Grounds has live music and open mic. They have a farmer's market and Shaggin on Main. Many of the businesses are dog friendly with water bowls out. There are some empty buildings that definitely leave potential for growth. It's a quite downtown but I can see it becoming more. When they have events, the downtown is filled with people. I'd like to see it this way all the time I do like it but I'd like to see the empty storefronts become filled and the downtown become more active. It definitely can be done

Last edited by beckycat; 04-11-2016 at 08:38 AM..

Old 04-11-2016, 11:41 AM

696 posts, read 1,335,172 times
I love the TR downtown and drive through there often on my way to visit family members who live there. Prior to moving back to SC a few years ago, the last time I saw downtown TR was about 25 years ago, and it was nothing to brag about. It has really blossomed and come into it's own as a place to see if you're visiting the Greenville area. Add in that the SRT goes right through it, it's really hard to go wrong.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:43 AM

604 posts, read 583,760 times
TR also has a Farmer's Market, which really boomed in the last couple years. They have live music during the season in the adjacent park. Another good one in TR is Tandem, a creperie- very good food. TR is pretty small; I think Greer is quite a bit bigger and a bit more 'city-like'. It's good to see these small towns doing so well when more rural towns can look pretty shabby. There is a bit more of a rural feel with its history and proximity to the mountains. Whoever did the planning was very smart, limiting Main St to local businesses, and keeping all of the commercial chain restaurants out on Hwy 25.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:42 PM

I like that too, just local businesses. One thing that is appealing and attracts people is that they are walkable I have taken a survey for Greer and have seen their master plan. They have some great ideas in store to make it a live, work and play town It seems like TR is headed in the same direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area