Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 07:49 AM

139 posts, read 360,108 times

Advertisements

We're going to camp in the area around Mother's Day so that we can attend the art fest. Any campground recommendations? We've stayed at a few campgrounds near the Asheville area but we'd like to be closer to Greenville this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 08:08 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
I could recommend state parks. My concern is being able to return when access is closed after dusk.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:14 AM

24 posts, read 24,500 times
There aren't many campgrounds near Greenville. Probably the closest and best option is Paris Mountain State Park. There are other options further away such as Twin Lakes COE, Oconee SP, South Cove County Park, Devils Fork SP, etc. They are nice places but an hour plus from Greenville. One option might be Boondockers Welcome. You need to join but these are people that will let you boondock at their property. I haven't looked lately, but there were listings close to Greenville in the past.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:30 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,877,474 times
At one time you needed to make a reservation for any state park with camping, may still be that way. Croft State park is in Spartanburg County, a little more than an hour away from Greenville. As CK pointed out, most of them close the gates atr 10pm. Theres a couple of KOAs around I think.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:38 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,663,367 times
Tent or RV camping?

For tents:

Paris Mountain State Park is the closest, and last time we tent camped there it was a decent park (but it's been 5+ years).

The KOA north of TR is the next closest. It's a very nice park (but pricey as all KOAs are), but we've only stayed there in our RV, and the tent area is a bit of a walk from the bathrooms and other facilities.

For RVs:

Ivy Acres is the closest to downtown, but it's age restricted to 45 and up (I've driven through this park, but not stayed there).

Paris Mountain SP has some RV spots, but they are fairly short and the road in is twisty, so if you have a big rig I'd avoid it.

The TR KOA is a very nice park (probably the nicest private park in the area), but has that KOA price tag attached.

There are other parks, but you're getting further away from town with most of them.

https://www.campendium.com/south-carolina/greenville

Old 04-08-2018, 04:39 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
I was going to mention the KOA as well. There's Pine Ridge in Roebuck but that maybe a bit far. https://www.pineridgecampground.com/

There's a place to park RV's or TT's by Lake Robinson. I believe it's called Lake Robinson RV Park.

I suggest you book soon before everything is sold out.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I was going to mention the KOA as well. There's Pine Ridge in Roebuck but that maybe a bit far. https://www.pineridgecampground.com/

There's a place to park RV's or TT's by Lake Robinson. I believe it's called Lake Robinson RV Park.

I suggest you book soon before everything is sold out.
Forgot about Pine Ridge. It is/was a nice place when we use to camp a lot.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:44 PM

300 posts, read 254,747 times
I would choose Croft State Park! It is absolutely beautiful! You will need to call ahead to make reservations because it stays full most of the year. It is south of Spartanburg but only about thirty minutes from Greenville.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nans123 View Post
I would choose Croft State Park! It is absolutely beautiful! You will need to call ahead to make reservations because it stays full most of the year. It is south of Spartanburg but only about thirty minutes from Greenville.
How you getting there in 30 minutes from Croft?

Old 04-09-2018, 08:18 PM

300 posts, read 254,747 times
Ok more like 45 min. 295 to Reidville Rd. I-26 to I-85 and drive 80 on I-85. and surely not at rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area