Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 11:05 AM

233 posts, read 306,759 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. I was wondering how bad the bug situation is there...as far as ahem, roaches, etc.
I know the south is known for that especially Florida.
How is it there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 11:19 AM

632 posts, read 750,458 times
Palmetto bugs are plentiful here. They are huge flying roaches that grow nearly big enough to saddle break and ride. They've been known to carry off unattended small children and the odd Rottweiler.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:35 AM

4,900 posts, read 7,460,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge1 View Post
Palmetto bugs are plentiful here. They are huge flying roaches that grow nearly big enough to saddle break and ride. They've been known to carry off unattended small children and the odd Rottweiler.
Lol!

On a serious note, we’ve been here about 7 months and have seen three (two were dead). We have an exterminator quarterly. They are huge and gross but not that hard to control.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:58 AM

233 posts, read 306,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Lol!

On a serious note, we’ve been here about 7 months and have seen three (two were dead). We have an exterminator quarterly. They are huge and gross but not that hard to control.
Good to know. I'm not about to tame them as pets lol.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:03 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,954,027 times
When I was visiting Greenville in March, every apartment complex I visited made a point of telling me that they had exterminators regularly visit the complex, and if I saw problems in between visits they would come out specially to deal with them. The fact that they made this a selling point should tell you something.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:36 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,877,727 times
I don't know why- maybe it is because our house in Raleigh backed to a mini forest and we live in a more manicured, urban environment here, but we could not keep those disgusting, giant roaches out of our Raleigh house and have yet to see one here. Used to "love" sitting in the family room at night and seeing one race by. The only bugs we have had an issue with here are stink bugs and the tiny sugar ants. The stink bugs have not been numerous and the ants are easy to eliminate with baits and gel.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:39 PM

17,616 posts, read 15,327,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
When I was visiting Greenville in March, every apartment complex I visited made a point of telling me that they had exterminators regularly visit the complex, and if I saw problems in between visits they would come out specially to deal with them. The fact that they made this a selling point should tell you something.

I have a house out in the middle of nowhere, and outside of ants.. The only bug problems I have are the ones that get in when I open the door at night with the porch light on.

My front door looks like some kind of nature show late at night, because my porch light is the only light around for a quarter mile or so. I've had bugs that I was certain were not of this planet congregating out there.

But roaches? Nope. Not a sign of them.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:55 PM

4,900 posts, read 7,460,673 times
I have had one stink bug here . . . But I think it hitched a ride with our moving van from Virginia because it was right after we were unpacking.

Old 06-27-2018, 02:31 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,672,053 times
We would see the large roaches outdoors on occasion in SC (and super rarely inside), but nothing like they were in FL.

Old 06-27-2018, 02:54 PM

1,949 posts, read 2,766,242 times
Last year, had mosquitoes so large, I swear they had mustaches. This year we are using Gregory’s Pest Control to spray our yard each month. So far, it’s working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area