Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 06:11 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,577,411 times

Advertisements

Could be worse it could be in the top ten. Then I don't see us moving there if that was the case. Which should be next month!

Doing happy dance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 12:52 AM

105 posts, read 102,080 times
The population is always a bit off. They really should count us by urban population.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:41 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,041,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Could be worse it could be in the top ten. Then I don't see us moving there if that was the case. Which should be next month!

Doing happy dance!
Lol escaping Asheville is a beautiful thing, isn't it..

Old 08-16-2016, 08:13 AM

200 posts, read 158,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray MI5 View Post
CCUGAL,I agree,it's not that nice as the Downtown/Falls area is the only claim to fame for this otherwise outdated,under maintained city. How often can you, or would you want to visit the Downtown/Falls area. And with a crime rate that ranks well above the national average in property and violent crime (crime rate was not a factor in the mentioned survey) I think Ill limit my Greenville time for one fall weekend per year.
Crime rate was factored in under Social and Civic Capital in the Ranking Criteria. And they didn't do a survey, they commissioned an actual study and from the study results "pulled out" the Top 100 list. Unless you read and understand the Ranking Criteria and the Methodology used to create this ranking (or any ranking) it's best not to criticize its outcomes, which you did to justify your criticism of Greenville.

If you dislike Greenville so much, why are you on this board? Go away. Make your little one weekend trip a year if you must. I don't care, and I'm probably not alone. Yes, I have done my share of criticizing Greenville, but I was born and raised here. I also currently live here. And, no matter where I am when I die, I will be brought back here and buried with my mama and grandmama 'nem. So, I have every right to criticize this city and county, no matter where in this world I happen to be.

But, other people can't. It's like fighting with family members and best friends. We can fight among ourselves like cats and dogs. But, let an outsider try something with one of us and see what happens. They have to deal with ALL of us.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:55 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,434,530 times
the crime is mostly concentrated west of downtown. most people who move to Greenville live on the eastside of the metro which is safe.

the per capita crime stats make the crime in Greenville look worse than it is, because the number of crimes is divided by the smallish city population rather than the metro population which is much larger.

spending one weekend a year in Greenville is all we can ask of people living in Florida.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:10 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,434,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
Greenville is nice but not THAT nice.
in terms of weather, cost of living, scenery, proximity to mountain and lakes, nice downtown, numerous golf courses, and shopping/ restaurant options, it is number one, in my view.

it is one of only cities in the country that have a waterfall with a nice park around it near the central business district, Spokane being the other.

everytime i take guests downtown who have never seen it, they are amazed. i love that aspect of living here.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:20 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,666,761 times
I think Greenville is bound to move up over time, maybe into the high 80s next year. All the people moving here is really causing an explosion of commercial and residential growth that could help us move up several spots, perhaps to be as good as Asheville someday.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:00 PM

513 posts, read 578,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
the crime is mostly concentrated west of downtown. most people who move to Greenville live on the eastside of the metro which is safe.

the per capita crime stats make the crime in Greenville look worse than it is, because the number of crimes is divided by the smallish city population rather than the metro population which is much larger.
These are good points, and I think this is true of most places anywhere you go. Most higher crime areas are relatively isolated to certain poorer and run down areas of a town or city, and they can often skew stats and perceptions. Crime also often tends to increase as people increase density in an area, and space and resources become more strained. In truth, one can make stats say just about anything they want to, depending how they are formulated, used, and interpreted. I think cities in our tier (while having pockets of crime) are pretty mild compared to major metro areas. Most people from places like Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, Oakland, etc would not consider our cities having a lot of crime, and many move here partially for that reason. Even those cities have their rough areas with a lot of crime and many nice areas around that have very little. So again, you have to be careful with looking at numbers and percentages. In Greenville's case, you are right. DT is actually just about a mile from the NW corner of the city limits, and many areas just to the South and West of DT are the old run-down mill villages that have become some of the rougher and poorer areas of Greenville. These will indeed skew some numbers for the city, as these are higher crime areas. Where most of the growth is, immediate DT and East and Southeast, are more affluent areas with significantly less crime. The same type delineations could be made for any city in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
View detailed profiles of: