Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2017, 04:12 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
<>I have an ideal viewing spot in mind but it would require driving between Clayton, GA and Franklin, NC<>
I see that passes by Sky Valley. I went to summer camp there in the late 1950s. Beautiful country.
I thought about heading out that way from Raleigh in the course of my planning. We're heading for East end of SC.
It's impossible to predict the crowd. SC government thinks from 700,000 to 1,500,000 on the roads.
The essential thing is to be ready to take your time returning home. People will arrive at different times, but leave all at once. Sort of like a football game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 04:26 PM

214 posts, read 300,858 times
It's still really too early for a decent forecast, but, Wunderground is showing party cloudy, 15% chance of rain during the hours of the eclipse. I can deal with party cloudy.

We're leaving tomorrow morning. A lot of people are taking next week (or at least part of next week) off and making an entire vacation of it, so I'm hoping that we'll miss a lot of the traffic by leaving on a Friday.

Everyone cross your fingers that the weather will hold out!

Old 08-17-2017, 05:19 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Parking garages in Greenville closed the top decks tonight at 6pm.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:24 PM

BAD NEWS TONIGHT. Network news shows traffic backed up for miles already in Oregon. Says small towns are not equipped to deal with the crush. Millions of people on the way. Running out of solar viewers.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:35 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
BAD NEWS TONIGHT. Network news shows traffic backed up for miles already in Oregon. Says small towns are not equipped to deal with the crush. Millions of people on the way. Running out of solar viewers.
I checked out some of the hwy cams. The ones that were on the highways showed lots of traffic, but its 5:30 out there right now, so I would expect a lot of traffic.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
The only backups I saw reported were in the area of Prineville, where the Symbiosis Festival (kind of like Burning Man) was starting today. I'd heard weeks ago that the festival was possibly quite a bit oversold, so it would make sense that the traffic was a nightmare with people attending.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
The only backups I saw reported were in the area of Prineville, where the Symbiosis Festival (kind of like Burning Man) was starting today. I'd heard weeks ago that the festival was possibly quite a bit oversold, so it would make sense that the traffic was a nightmare with people attending.
The national news showed miles of backedup campers and motor homes all headed in the same direction. Could have been stock footage of the last tsunami drill for all I know.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
The national news showed miles of backedup campers and motor homes all headed in the same direction. Could have been stock footage of the last tsunami drill for all I know.
Yes, I saw, they were headed to the festival. Oregon State Police also showed the same aerial images of the backup. They are trying to shove 30+k people into a relatively small festival grounds. Prineville bears brunt of early eclipse traffic; Symbiosis attendees reported to have been in traffic for 3 hours

Old 08-17-2017, 10:03 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Anderson County Library System | » Extraterrestrial Eclipse Event

Anderson County Library is offering free viewing glasses on Monday at each of their locations. Anderson County Library System | » Location Types » all

Old 08-18-2017, 04:22 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,756,471 times
The NWS forecast for Monday is promising!

Monday Mostly sunny, with a high near 91.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area