Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2016, 07:33 PM

21,033 posts, read 27,363,696 times

Advertisements

Construction of the 35,962-square-foot limited assortment/discount grocery store Lidl #1088, 2200 East Main Street, Spartanburg, South Carolina 29307-1419, is underway. The former Widenhouse/Vic Bailey Volkswagen and Mazda dealership on the site has been razed.

I am unaware of a projected opening date for Lidl #1088. (The store is one of two announced stores in Spartanburg County.)

Further reading
"Progress begins on sites of new Lidl grocery stores." Spartanburg Herald-Journal. 2016-09-19.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 07:54 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,212,804 times
Two stores in Spartanburg?!? They really should put one in Greer. There's an Aldi here, so I think there should be a Lidl too. I'm going to be hopeful given that this brand new Aldi has already done some remodeling and it's not even a year old.

I think the old Office Depot on WH in Greer is a perfect location.

Well, thank goodness Lowes has decided to give Greer a chance

Old 09-19-2016, 07:57 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,212,804 times
Here's a little older article:

Lidl moving forward with plans for Spartanburg stores - News - GoUpstate - Spartanburg, SC

Mentions Aldi's going to be opening another Spartanburg location as well

Old 09-20-2016, 03:03 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,119,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Construction of the 35,962-square-foot limited assortment/discount grocery store Lidl #1088, 2200 East Main Street, Spartanburg, South Carolina 29307-1419, is underway. The former Widenhouse/Vic Bailey Volkswagen and Mazda dealership on the site has been razed.

I am unaware of a projected opening date for Lidl #1088. (The store is one of two announced stores in Spartanburg County.)

Further reading
"Progress begins on sites of new Lidl grocery stores." Spartanburg Herald-Journal. 2016-09-19.

I assume they will open the first wave of stores anytime in the second half of 2017. They are already looking for future store managers for the Greenville/Spartanburg area and the Columbia Metro area. Their training in Europe takes 6 month. I'm not a construction expert, but I would think that the construction of the first stores should be finished in the second quarter of 2017? It would be strange if they would wait until 2018 with opening the first stores.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:52 PM

I wonder if Lidl will implement its store manager training program in the United States after its initial stores open. I can understand why training is currently occurring in Europe.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:28 AM

272 posts, read 331,570 times
This is a map of the 80 or so Lidl locations under consideration in the US. It's quite the invasion! List of Lidl locations in the US - Business Insider

Also, the app "Planned Grocery" mentioned in the article looks to be pretty neat, but of course, requires a subscription :-)

Old 09-21-2016, 07:36 AM

The map shows Lidl's stores officially announced in the United States. There are additional stores under consideration that are not on the map.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:35 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,119,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I wonder if Lidl will implement its store manager training program in the United States after its initial stores open. I can understand why training is currently occurring in Europe.
I'm absolutely sure that they will train their future store managers in the U.S. as soon as possible. I assume that they will wait until the first stores in the U.S. run smoothly. It's not only cheaper to train them in the U.S. it also makes more sense when the future store manager have to deal during their training with American store associates and American customers instead of Irish or English ones.

I have read some more detailed information about their future store manager training on their career website (they are currently updating the site). It looks that they are training some methods that are maybe less common in the U.S., but I don't see why that couldn't be implemented in the U.S.

Quote:
The map shows Lidl's stores officially announced in the United States. There are additional stores under consideration that are not on the map.
I have the impression that they are missing some more stores. They are actually using the same method that I have used for making my own map

I have found a few futures stores, that they are missing:

For example:
- Lidl #1070 on 622 E Pulaski Hwy in Elkton, MD
- Lidl #1076 on 4050 West Vernon Ave in Kinston, NC

Otherwise, they have stores listed that I'm missing in my list. For some of them I can't find any information. For example the Lidl store in Annapolis, MD

I will use their store list (more precisely the list of cities) to try to complete my list a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area