Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 01:29 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,449,863 times

Advertisements

With the coming of the Grand Bohemian hotel, a new entryway to downtown emerges - Upstate Business Journal

BREAKING

The view from Reedy River Falls is about to change. Wyche P.A., the law firm that overlooks the river, has agreed to sell its East Camperdown Way property to Orlando, Fla.-based The Kessler Collection, and a new hotel, the Grand Bohemian Greenville, will take its place.

This is not just any hotel. Inspired by the look and feel of a national park lodge, Greenville’s Grand Bohemian will add to Kessler’s 11 boutique hotels and restaurants, including Grand Bohemian hotels in Charleston and Asheville. And with an art gallery, spa, 4,000-square-foot ballroom, meeting space and a restaurant and bar overlooking the river, it’s designed to be a destination in and of itself. Hotel officials say they will break ground in the fall of 2017.

But as impressive as Kessler hopes the 160-room Grand Bohemian Greenville will be, the new hotel is a further sign that properties along the eastern side banks of the Reedy and along Falls and Broad streets are about to potentially experience a transformation about as significant as the one that gave birth to RiverPlace. Although the name for this new area is subject to change, it is being referred to as the East Gateway District.

More at the link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 02:26 PM

401 posts, read 382,849 times
This is a huge deal. Take a look at the Kessler Collection website to see their other Bohemian Hotels. Greenville will be in some elite company.

The Kessler Collection: Luxury Hotels

Old 10-20-2016, 02:37 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,449,863 times
i wouln't be surprised if the company in the office building next to this law office next to the falls also cashes in and sells the property to a developer.

I wouldnt mind if the governors school of the arts cashed in so that area up on the hill could be developed with restaurants, retail, etc. i wonder if anybody at Furman wishes they had kept the campus at that location. it would be cool to be a college student at a campus right next to the waterfall and park and be close to all the restaurants.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 10-20-2016 at 02:49 PM..

Old 10-20-2016, 08:58 PM

13 posts, read 17,903 times
No doubt about that being a great place to go to school. But not sure if FU would have grown into the nationally recognized school that it is now without its awesome current campus.
This huge news for the area.

Old 10-21-2016, 05:55 AM

9,613 posts, read 9,924,212 times
So from reading that article, the same developer of the hotel, Centennial, is looking to redevelop 55 Camperdown Way which is across from the Wyche building, as well as redeveloping the Bowater parking garage and building.

Whey they say redeveloping, is the plan to knock those buildings down and rebuild?

Old 10-21-2016, 06:19 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,625,919 times
This is a great addition to downtown Greenville - has anyone stayed at the Grand Bohemian in Asheville?
This will be great competition for the Westin. (I only wish the GB would be available to guests for the upcoming NCAA tournament - but, I understand they will not begin construction until next fall).

Old 10-21-2016, 03:56 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,669,242 times
I wonder if they will play "Bohemian Rhapsody" in the lobby of this Grand Bohemian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ9rUzIMcZQ

Old 10-22-2016, 10:58 AM

601 posts, read 463,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post

I wouldnt mind if the governors school of the arts cashed in so that area up on the hill could be developed with restaurants, retail, etc. i wonder if anybody at Furman wishes they had kept the campus at that location. it would be cool to be a college student at a campus right next to the waterfall and park and be close to all the restaurants.
Moving the governor's school seems very unlikely, they've sunk a bunch of money into that location and I'm sure are very proud of it. If they ever did relocate they would certainly feel the need to re-create a 'next to Main Street' site in some other town (like the governor's school for science and math in Hartsville), so no dirt cheap land. Being in some random suburban or rural location would be terrible for a residential high school.

I know being right next to Falls Park and Main St is a huge draw for potential students, or at least good compensation for having a more restricted life, and not being allowed to have a car.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:07 PM
B&R

148 posts, read 317,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
i wouln't be surprised if the company in the office building next to this law office next to the falls also cashes in and sells the property to a developer.

At some time in the near future we will see a redevelopment of the current County Square property, which is a much larger piece of land. And it is similarly adjacent to Falls Park.

I hope the Governors School stays where it is. It is been a great asset. I also think the students probably really like the location.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:25 AM

690 posts, read 1,152,225 times
So great for this side of the river. I'm off E. Broad Street and walk down the backside of Spring by the Bowater Garage a lot. that whole area has some fantastic potential. I sure hope this is a catalyst to keep things moving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area