Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 07:25 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,262,444 times

Advertisements

In regards to WLOS-TV, news anchor Larry Blunt, previously at WYFF-TV, was laid off earlier this year as Sinclair Broadcast Group eliminated positions across its stations. I do not know if a permanent successor has been named, or if Frank Fraboni and/or Frank Kracher are filling in intermittently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 01:03 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatp View Post
Wanted to watch the oscars tonight and thought why not try and see if I scanned for channels tonight if ABC would pick up. And sure enough, ABC picked up just like it was always here. I'm using an amplified leaf antenna that's hanging off my mantel.
That's where mine works the best too! I have the ultimate leaf antenna.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:25 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,364,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatp View Post
Wanted to watch the oscars tonight and thought why not try and see if I scanned for channels tonight if ABC would pick up. And sure enough, ABC picked up just like it was always here. I'm using an amplified leaf antenna that's hanging off my mantel.
I am curious if you were getting the main 13 from Asheville or the new Paris Mountain translator. I cannot receive the Paris Mountain signal near Mauldin. It is too low power to be a major improvement.

The Leaf style antennas are a basic UHF bow tie design in an ultra slim form factor. Some are amplified. They have limitations, but do receive most local channels, but not necessarily fringe. Although the amplified Mohu Leaf I have tried does get WBTV from Charlotte on the northeast side of the house. But it can be weaker for problematic VHF signals such as WLOS. For a reliable permanent set up, I recommend a Clearstream 4V and a preamp. Or an 8-bay UHF antenna combined with a VHF antenna.

But keep in mind the FCC channel repack will occur in about 2 years. So some channels my be changing, so a more optimized VHF or UHF antenna may be needed. All channels above 36 will be required to move, and some of the current lower channles may change also to make room. Something to consider before you make a major investment on an antenna system.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:13 PM

843 posts, read 1,432,571 times
Not sure how to know which translator it's coming from. I will say I don't get HD Channel 7 WSPA, but the LD WSPA on 62.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:20 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I am curious if you were getting the main 13 from Asheville or the new Paris Mountain translator. I cannot receive the Paris Mountain signal near Mauldin. It is too low power to be a major improvement.

The Leaf style antennas are a basic UHF bow tie design in an ultra slim form factor. Some are amplified. They have limitations, but do receive most local channels, but not necessarily fringe. Although the amplified Mohu Leaf I have tried does get WBTV from Charlotte on the northeast side of the house. But it can be weaker for problematic VHF signals such as WLOS. For a reliable permanent set up, I recommend a Clearstream 4V and a preamp. Or an 8-bay UHF antenna combined with a VHF antenna.

But keep in mind the FCC channel repack will occur in about 2 years. So some channels my be changing, so a more optimized VHF or UHF antenna may be needed. All channels above 36 will be required to move, and some of the current lower channles may change also to make room. Something to consider before you make a major investment on an antenna system.
My mom and I both live in Mauldin about 4 miles from each other with her being a little closer to 85 than I am. When I checked both of our addresses out on one of those websites (tvfool.com comes to mind) it said she would get less channels than I would. I would have thought it to be the opposite since as the crow flies, she is closer to Paris Mtn. than I. Granted, I have a better antenna with an amplifier now than what she currently does but with needing to ditch cable soon, we are trying different things. Without that amplifier I cannot get 13 but neither can she. I don't know where I get 13 from; but it registers as 13.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:58 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
In regards to WLOS-TV, news anchor Larry Blunt, previously at WYFF-TV, was laid off earlier this year as Sinclair Broadcast Group eliminated positions across its stations. I do not know if a permanent successor has been named, or if Frank Fraboni and/or Frank Kracher are filling in intermittently.
I remember Larry Blunt from the Durham, NC station 1988 to 1992. Guy has been around.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
My mom and I both live in Mauldin about 4 miles from each other with her being a little closer to 85 than I am. When I checked both of our addresses out on one of those websites (tvfool.com comes to mind) it said she would get less channels than I would. I would have thought it to be the opposite since as the crow flies, she is closer to Paris Mtn. than I. Granted, I have a better antenna with an amplifier now than what she currently does but with needing to ditch cable soon, we are trying different things. Without that amplifier I cannot get 13 but neither can she. I don't know where I get 13 from; but it registers as 13.
From Mauldin you should also get Charlotte channels 3, 36, 46 and 55 with a decent UHF antenna and amplifier. The Clearstream 4V from Best Buy is a good compact choice. Or an 8-bay from MCM or a 43XG yagi style. I would combine with a separate antenna for GSP and Asheville. But combining antennas can be tricky and must be done strategically with some trial and error. Identical antennas with same length cable works best to prevent out of phase problems. And a preamp is needed for Charlotte and Asheville, but probably not Greenville-Spartanburg.

As for WLOS, their translator is Channel 31, but it will map to 13. You will need to check the signal strength diagnostics in your TV menu to determine if you are getting 13 from Asheville or 31 from Paris Mountain.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:10 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
We are about 5 miles or less from Paris Mountain and still can't pick it up. It maybe my antenna tho. I have a GE amplified antenna.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:34 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times
My mom just bought an antenna and I'm pretty disappointed that we cant pick up 7 or 13. Seriously, why are they in our market if they can't even be watched? Don't see this problem being had in Columbia or Charleston.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
My mom just bought an antenna and I'm pretty disappointed that we cant pick up 7 or 13. Seriously, why are they in our market if they can't even be watched? Don't see this problem being had in Columbia or Charleston.
Perhaps not the correct type of antenna. The flat panel styles are not optimized for VHF, as they primarily receive UHF. WSPA channel 7 has a strong VHF signal, but 13-WLOS is a bit problematic and more subject to interference.

If you are using an indoor antenna, it should be placed in a room near the window nearest the direction of the broadcast signal towers. Walls will block the signal.

For VHF channels such as 7 and 13, rabbit ears work best. So you may want to try an amplified rabbit ears and loop antenna from Radioshack, or a Terk HDTVa sold at HHG. But be careful with an amp so you don't overpower. And an FM trap helps prevent interference with 13.

Better antennas are the Clearstream 2V sold at Walmart or the Clearstream 4V sold at Best Buy. But even with those antennas the single VHF dipole may be inferior for 13. You may need to consider the RCA attic/outdoor antenna 751 from Walmart or order a Winegard 7694 online. The RCA antenna 751 is actually made by Winegard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area