Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 02:48 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clhughey View Post
So SC DOES do background checks for Real Estate Agents...I just got my license this year and had to do one.

However...

I have it on very good authority and from a source close to the case that he was able to explain away the charge saying basically "I was arguing with my girlfriend at the time after we had sex and because I had a gun it was an automatic sentence in Arizona since they were trying to crack down on guns at the time"

It's also been shown that the court documents were available for SC to obtain and explicitly detailed the crime very differently than Todd did.

A few MAJOR takeaways from this incident...

1. ALWAYS investigate your agent or ANYONE you plan on being alone with the first time you meet them. Sex offender information is readily available online and WE have to protect ourselves.

2. SC needs to do a little better job of investigating all offenses on background checks that put consumer safety in question.

3. Watch out for yourselves out there friends! We are all appalled in the Real Estate community I assure you.

Stay SAFE!

Yes, we are all appalled, shocked and very very sad.

How much jail time did this creep actually do ? As far as investigating agents goes, the public has no worries there in my opinion. I was a Realtor for many years; and can tell you that more agents, especially women, have been hurt or worse! An agent up north in one of our offices was murdered by an alleged relo buyer that she had worked with for several weekends. She was murdered in the basement of a vacant new construction property. Don't think he was ever caught either. There are many other sad examples of crime against agents, not the other way around. This is why we are all so shocked, it is just so sad. I got my reciprocal licenses NC, then SC in 2002, maybe things are different. I only took a test (maybe I simply don't remember a background check because maybe they used the NC docs. But yes, every state has background checks; what I was eluding to is how easy it is to get a reciprocal r/e license in abutting states.

I still think that the SC Realtors Board missed it big on this guy. Amazing that none of the other agents were in tune to his psycho mind, and he must have had some very unusual habits. Very sad story all around. Send up prayers for his victims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 04:55 AM

684 posts, read 1,185,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
Raping a girl at gunpoint even at 16 should get you on the registry for life.
I'm just glad raping-at-gunpoint sex offenders that move to SC to become real estate agents can buy so many guns in SC.

Makes me feel greeeeaaat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I think all real estate agents are criminals.
If you had to choose between a Realtor, Car Salesman, or Herbalife distributor to be your neighbor...

Old 11-15-2016, 08:58 AM

2,442 posts, read 2,866,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Beth, if you lived in NC and have/had a NC r/e license, SC is reciprocal but you still have to take a test.
NC is also reciprocal with TN, but not VA. I don't know your circumstances, but I had no problem at all getting reciprocal SC license; I was licensed in NC, since 2004 and in 2 northeast states also for over 20 years. Maybe the law has changed, dunno.

Nevertheless, they surely didn't do a good job of checking on this psycho killer; he had quite a rap sheet preceding him. Something fell thru the cracks; what a shame.
Don't want to get into too many semantics or too far off topic but reciprocity means you DO NOT have to take an exam in the state to which you are applying. In the past SC had a reciprocity agreement with NC but has not for a few years; only with GA and West Va. SC does require criminal bakground checks but that was not the case years ago.LLR

Old 11-15-2016, 04:32 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Don't want to get into too many semantics or too far off topic but reciprocity means you DO NOT have to take an exam in the state to which you are applying. In the past SC had a reciprocity agreement with NC but has not for a few years; only with GA and West Va. SC does require criminal bakground checks but that was not the case years ago.LLR

Reciprocity between adjoining states where it is allowed means that a person does not have to attend one of the licensed real estate schools in that state for X amount of hours in order to obtain a license as a real estate agent/broker.

Many other states still have two designations; broker: requiring many hours. Less hours for a real estate salesperson license who has to work under the office's broker's license with some limited rules. That does not apply here in NC.

NC is a broker's license only state. New people have to take the entire course plus the state exam; and to get the SC reciprocal, just the exam.

Point being that SC should have known about this nutso sex offender; his parents refuse to believe anything negative about their 'good boy'. Sickening case no matter what the license rules are, at this point.

Old 11-15-2016, 04:38 PM

684 posts, read 514,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
Raping a girl at gunpoint even at 16 should get you on the registry for life.

Raping anyone at gun point at any age should get your arse locked up for a long time... screww the registry stuff

I think if a sex offender is safe enough to be on the streets then there shouldn't be any registry. These registries really does society more harm than it does good. If a person is that dangerous (such as super high risk) they need to be locked up and not out on the streets.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:43 AM

684 posts, read 1,185,571 times
From an interview recently:

"He was nice, polite, just a regular businessman. … No red flags.”

How many real estate agents does that describe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area