Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 04:03 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
I don't know, I live in Greenville just outside of downtown and I am paying more than I should in rent and to buy around here, I would have to go out as far as at least Taylors, Mauldin, or live in the hood to afford something reasonable.
Trust me man, you wouldn't save much moving to Anderson. I know you always seem to be concerned about Greenville's prices, but they really are about as good as you can get for a region this size with this location and industry. If the US COL average is 100, Greenville is at 94.

Personally, it's not the rent prices that hurt, it's the wages.

May I ask why you stick around? Why not go elsewhere? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 07:08 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
My evidence is I actually grew up in Anderson and am currently here now.
IF I may, what part of Anderson did you grow up in? My mom has been in Anderson for at least 30 years now. She and my step dad live out near Stone Creek Golf Course, if you know where that is.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
IF I may, what part of Anderson did you grow up in? My mom has been in Anderson for at least 30 years now. She and my step dad live out near Stone Creek Golf Course, if you know where that is.
TL Hanna/McCants school zone. Northern part of town. I had to pull up a map for Stone Creek. I hadn't heard of it, but I'm prettyyy sure I've been to Sadler's Creek Park.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:03 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,790,175 times
Quote:
Is this a bad thing?
No, not really.

I like all the beautiful peacock women strutting around, and all the fat dudes make me feel like an athlete or something.

I don't think I'll ever get used to the robotic "Yes sir, Mr. 123," from the kids, as they look to the side or the ground. Creepy is creepy.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:55 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
TL Hanna/McCants school zone. Northern part of town. I had to pull up a map for Stone Creek. I hadn't heard of it, but I'm prettyyy sure I've been to Sadler's Creek Park.
You should go to the BBQ place near Saddlers if you get a chance. Its good stuff! I think its called Saddlers Creek BBQ. There were some apartments back behind the old TL Hanna, mom lived in one of those for 3 or 4 years, and my grandmother is in the nursing home at NHC, so I know that are, but not very well. I can get from the nursing home to moms.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:35 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
and all the fat dudes make me feel like an athlete or something.
you ought to post a picture of yourself so we can fact check your bragging.

i'm not seeing all these fat men everywhere. it doesn't seem believable that every man is fat, except for the transplants like you of course, and every woman has a perfect body in Greenville yet that is what you asserted. you must think people are gullible.

how are the women 'peacocks' strutting around. that's a sexist and creepy way of talking about women.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 12-10-2016 at 10:17 AM..

Old 12-10-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
You should go to the BBQ place near Saddlers if you get a chance. Its good stuff! I think its called Saddlers Creek BBQ. There were some apartments back behind the old TL Hanna, mom lived in one of those for 3 or 4 years, and my grandmother is in the nursing home at NHC, so I know that are, but not very well. I can get from the nursing home to moms.
Definately. And I know whay youre talking about. The old Hanna is the "new" McCants. That area is very good.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:11 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,790,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
you ought to post a picture of yourself so we can fact check your bragging.

i'm not seeing all these fat men everywhere. it doesn't seem believable that every man is fat, except for the transplants like you of course, and every woman has a perfect body in Greenville yet that is what you asserted. you must think people are gullible.

how are the women 'peacocks' strutting around. that's a sexist and creepy way of talking about women.
It was a Lake Wobegon reference that clearly went over your head.

Chill out.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:33 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,945,475 times
Quote:
Trust me man, you wouldn't save much moving to Anderson. I know you always seem to be concerned about Greenville's prices, but they really are about as good as you can get for a region this size with this location and industry. If the US COL average is 100, Greenville is at 94.

Personally, it's not the rent prices that hurt, it's the wages.

May I ask why you stick around? Why not go elsewhere? Just curious.
Well I am sticking around because I have a great job, close to family, and overall just don't want to move again because I have moved to three different cities since I graduated from college five years ago and each time, you pretty much have to start over, make new friends, etc. In February, I will have been up here for two years and finally am getting used to the area, getting to know people, have friends here, etc. and don't want to move yet again and go through getting used to another area again.

The prices have been something to make me look around at other cities, but the having to pick up, move and essentially start all over right when I am getting to a point where I have established myself here, plus having to find a job as good as mine is now in a new city ultimately keeps me here.

I will say that when I was looking at other cities and getting a feel for what rentals looked like there, I looked at Atlanta in the Buckhead area as well as Charlotte in the South End area and rents in both seemed fairly comparable to what you would pay in Greenville. I also have friends living in Raleigh and rents there for downtown are actually cheaper than Greenville or at least when I was up there this past summer.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Well I am sticking around because I have a great job, close to family, and overall just don't want to move again. The prices have been something to make me look around at other cities.

I will say that when I was looking at other cities and getting a feel for what rentals looked like there, I looked at Atlanta in the Buckhead area as well as Charlotte in the South End area and rents in both seemed fairly comparable to what you would pay in Greenville. I also have friends living in Raleigh and rents there for downtown are actually cheaper than Greenville or at least when I was up there this past summer.
I'm sorry, but I just dont know where you be getting your prices from. Atlanta, Charlotte, and Raleigh are all head and shoulders above Grenville. For one, Buckhead is one of the most expensive places in the entire southeast. It also has one of the highest concentration of millionaires, if not the highest, in the SE. Buckheads zip code is the 2nd wealthiest in the south. Nothing in Greenville comes remotely close. Buckhead is Rodeo Drive on steroids and sweet tea. Rent is not cheap.

Southend Charlotte is also wealthy, and while not on Buckheads level, is still way above Greenville. You can just look at SouthPark Mall and its obvious. The average income in that area is $80,000+. Im sorry, but the fact you think either of those two areas is comparable to Greenville is a major head scratcher to me.

According to Rent Jungle, the average rent for the city of Raleigh is $1155. Greenvilles rent prices have actually gone down in the last 6 months. Raleigh also has the tech and research boom which drives up prices, plus Raleigh is arguably the most desirsble city in the SE right now, which is driving up demand, which drives up prices.

If COL housing average is 100 on Sterling, Greenville is 81. Raleigh is 110. Buckhead is 107. Charlotte is 91. Greenville has the lowest overall COL as well, though with the lowest wages, but still, 81 vs 110 and 107 is a big difference.

If I could find a great, clean, safe, modern townhouse in Alexandria, VA off King Street for only $600, you can find something in Greenville. Again I dont know your budget or circumstances, but I feel the way you look at these prices is pretty narrow to be honest.

Greenville is affordable. Thats just hard to argue. Go take a deeper look at those prices and you will surely feel blessed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area