Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 12:48 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,947,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I'm sorry, but I just dont know where you be getting your prices from. Atlanta, Charlotte, and Raleigh are all head and shoulders above Grenville. For one, Buckhead is one of the most expensive places in the entire southeast. It also has one of the highest concentration of millionaires, if not the highest, in the SE. Buckheads zip code is the 2nd wealthiest in the south. Nothing in Greenville comes remotely close. Buckhead is Rodeo Drive on steroids and sweet tea. Rent is not cheap.

Southend Charlotte is also wealthy, and while not on Buckheads level, is still way above Greenville. You can just look at SouthPark Mall and its obvious. The average income in that area is $80,000+. Im sorry, but the fact you think either of those two areas is comparable to Greenville is a major head scratcher to me.

According to Rent Jungle, the average rent for the city of Raleigh is $1155. Greenvilles rent prices have actually gone down in the last 6 months. Raleigh also has the tech and research boom which drives up prices, plus Raleigh is arguably the most desirsble city in the SE right now, which is driving up demand, which drives up prices.

If COL housing average is 100 on Sterling, Greenville is 81. Raleigh is 110. Buckhead is 107. Charlotte is 91. Greenville has the lowest overall COL as well, though with the lowest wages, but still, 81 vs 110 and 107 is a big difference.

If I could find a great, clean, safe, modern townhouse in Alexandria, VA off King Street for only $600, you can find something in Greenville. Again I dont know your budget or circumstances, but I feel the way you look at these prices is pretty narrow to be honest.

Greenville is affordable. Thats just hard to argue. Go take a deeper look at those prices and you will surely feel blessed.
I am referring to rentals I personally looked at in Buckhead and Charlotte and what my friends are paying in Raleigh and found that in those cases for what I saw, they are comporable in prices. Skyhouse Raleigh, which is nicer than any apartment in Greenville and is smack in the middle of downtown Raleigh is around $2200 for a 2BR. That is completely comporable with any 2BR apartment at any of the new apartments in downtown Greenville (Link, 400Rhett, Stone&Main, Ellison on Broad, District West) and while all of these places are nice, none of them are on the level of Skyhouse.

Now you're right, prices have gone down on apartments and I firmly believe they will continue to do so. As I was saying, it was about 6 months ago when I was looking at apartments in other cities and at that time, thinking they are comparable. As prices continue to go down for apartments here, that won't be the case.

Sure, Atlanta and Charlotte are going to have higher average rents overall but when comparing similar apartments in similar locations, its pretty clear that the price points are comparable. Every apartment complex in the area of South End along the Lynx just across 277 from Uptown and including a few in Uptown starts out around $1k-$1100, just like every apartment complex in downtown Greenville.

Also, just like you said about Buckhead and Charlotte regarding wages, they have much more wealth than Greenville does. Higher wages, etc. So, what does that tell you about COL in downtown Greenville? I am not talking about places like Woodruff Rd or Pelham Rd or any of the suburbs, I am really only talking about areas around downtown. Everything out in the suburbs is about where it should be and nothing is overpriced out there. Downtown on the other hand is not pacing with the wages in the market and is in fact comparable to the areas I mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 01:13 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times
if people can afford to live in places downtown, how can you assert wages don't keep up with the wages. obviously the high prices reflect a high demand.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
if people can afford to live in places downtown, how can you assert wages don't keep up with the wages. obviously the high prices reflect a high demand.
That's my whole point and probably why prices are going down and these apartments have a good deal of available units.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:22 PM

i think it is more likely it is because the supply has increased. the law of supply and demand.

what source do you have that rent rates have dropped significantly?

Old 12-12-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
i think it is more likely it is because the supply has increased. the law of supply and demand.
That's the main aspect as to why they are dropping, I agree completely.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:24 PM

ok so what is your source they are dropping?

i thought you were previously complaining about the rent rates in downtown pricing people out.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
ok so what is your source they are dropping?

i thought you were previously complaining about the rent rates in downtown pricing people out.
They have been, but I have seen several going for much less now then a few months back. I have typically been complaining about higher prices downtown and that they have been pricing people out. Between that and too much supply, prices are going to drop.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:48 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
I am referring to rentals I personally looked at in Buckhead and Charlotte and what my friends are paying in Raleigh and found that in those cases for what I saw, they are comporable in prices. Skyhouse Raleigh, which is nicer than any apartment in Greenville and is smack in the middle of downtown Raleigh is around $2200 for a 2BR. That is completely comporable with any 2BR apartment at any of the new apartments in downtown Greenville (Link, 400Rhett, Stone&Main, Ellison on Broad, District West) and while all of these places are nice, none of them are on the level of Skyhouse.

Now you're right, prices have gone down on apartments and I firmly believe they will continue to do so. As I was saying, it was about 6 months ago when I was looking at apartments in other cities and at that time, thinking they are comparable. As prices continue to go down for apartments here, that won't be the case.

Sure, Atlanta and Charlotte are going to have higher average rents overall but when comparing similar apartments in similar locations, its pretty clear that the price points are comparable. Every apartment complex in the area of South End along the Lynx just across 277 from Uptown and including a few in Uptown starts out around $1k-$1100, just like every apartment complex in downtown Greenville.

Also, just like you said about Buckhead and Charlotte regarding wages, they have much more wealth than Greenville does. Higher wages, etc. So, what does that tell you about COL in downtown Greenville? I am not talking about places like Woodruff Rd or Pelham Rd or any of the suburbs, I am really only talking about areas around downtown. Everything out in the suburbs is about where it should be and nothing is overpriced out there. Downtown on the other hand is not pacing with the wages in the market and is in fact comparable to the areas I mentioned.
Well thats what im saying. Your rental vision is too focused and narrow. When I was in NOVA, a pretty dang expensive place, the most I saw my coworkers pay was $1300/mth. I'm a YP like you so I understand that rent struggle. $2200 is ridiculous no matter what city youre in. I was expecting a range of more $700-1400, which is pretty to easily doable in this area.

And I still dont see how you can call them generally comparable. Sure in some circumstances, but not generally. Sterling, which is pretty reliable, again rates Greenvilles housing at 81, versus 100+ for Atlanta/Buckhead/Raleigh, and 91 for Charlotte. I again think youre too focused on something very specific. I think thats why you dont see what you want in Greenville. Theres a lot of options you seem to be leaving out.

What sites are you looking at to find your prices? And downtown is downtown. It is like every other noticable downtown. You cant judge an entire rental market on one zone, which you seem to be doing man.

As for downtown, I dont think wages matter as much because I think downtown Greenville is aimed at a specific audience that doesnt include YP's (or Grenville/SC natives).

Old 12-12-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Well thats what im saying. Your rental vision is too focused and narrow. When I was in NOVA, a pretty dang expensive place, the most I saw my coworkers pay was $1300/mth. I'm a YP like you so I understand that rent struggle. $2200 is ridiculous no matter what city youre in. I was expecting a range of more $700-1400, which is pretty to easily doable in this area.

And again i dont understand how you can call them "comparable." Sterling, which is pretty reliable, again rates Greenvilles housing at 81, versus 100+ for Atlanta/Buckhead/Raleigh, and 91 for Charlotte. I again think youre too focused on something very specific. I think thats why you dont see what you want in Greenville. Theres a lot of options you seem to be leaving out.

What sites are you looking at to find your prices? And downtown is downtown. It is like every other noticable downtown. You cant judge an entire rental market on one zone, which you seem to be doing man.

As for downtown, I dont think wages matter as much because I think downtown Greenville is aimed at a specific audience that doesnt include YP's (or Grenville/SC natives).
I have been on Apartments.com looking at what apartments in certain areas are listed as.

This all kind of circles back to my original point that to live more comfortably in Greenville, you need to look out of downtown but unfortunately, Greenville has little to offer a YP outside of downtown, thus meaning small towns around Greenville like Greer and TR should blossom into hubs for YPs because it offers an alternative to downtown Greenville which does not exist here.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:30 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
I have been on Apartments.com looking at what apartments in certain areas are listed as.

This all kind of circles back to my original point that to live more comfortably in Greenville, you need to look out of downtown but unfortunately, Greenville has little to offer a YP outside of downtown, thus meaning small towns around Greenville like Greer and TR should blossom into hubs for YPs because it offers an alternative to downtown Greenville which does not exist here.
I get your point, but I think it circles back to mine as well. Greenville has plenty for YP's, you just have to broaden your search. No need for you to go all the way to Travelers Rest. You can do Greenville city and the immediate area, you just have to stop zeroing in on downtown.

You also have to realize downtown's prices are not unique, nor is downtown targeted at YP's, nor is Greenville a huge YP hub in general. But overall, the city and region are in good standing for what the wages are. Your money is going to go a good ways with a COL index of 94.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area