Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 03:35 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,515 times

Advertisements

From Greenville Demographics (Demographics : Greenville Area Development Corporation (GADC)

Race

White 377,934 76.8%
Black or African American
91,206 18.5%
Asian 11,402 2.3%
Amer. Indian / Alaskan 2,593 0.5%
Two or More Races 8,737 1.8%
Hispanic or Latino 43,479 8.8%

There is a place for the kids to play hockey in Taylors, but not probably one in every suburb like maybe in Colorado. I have seen them playing their games, little kids in hockey outfits.

Definitely got watch where you move here, we have some high crime areas but lots of low crime areas if you can afford them which you probably can if you can afford to move.

Can't smoke weed legally here (yet) like in Colorado, but I don't know if you are into that, probably not.

Let me know if you have any other questions and welcome to city data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 06:03 PM

3 posts, read 4,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
From Greenville Demographics (Demographics : Greenville Area Development Corporation (GADC)

Race

White 377,934 76.8%
Black or African American
91,206 18.5%
Asian 11,402 2.3%
Amer. Indian / Alaskan 2,593 0.5%
Two or More Races 8,737 1.8%
Hispanic or Latino 43,479 8.8%

There is a place for the kids to play hockey in Taylors, but not probably one in every suburb like maybe in Colorado. I have seen them playing their games, little kids in hockey outfits.

Definitely got watch where you move here, we have some high crime areas but lots of low crime areas if you can afford them which you probably can if you can afford to move.

Can't smoke weed legally here (yet) like in Colorado, but I don't know if you are into that, probably not.

Let me know if you have any other questions and welcome to city data.
Are you referring to specific neighborhoods or cities that are safer? Money won't really be an issue since we're both therapy providers (speech and physical).

Old 05-02-2017, 08:19 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipout55 View Post
Are you referring to specific neighborhoods or cities that are safer? Money won't really be an issue since we're both therapy providers (speech and physical).
Greenville County Sheriff's office has a nice crime map that can show you areas to avoid living near. Search that with your favorite search engine.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:07 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,791,565 times
I'm trying to make a list of pros and cons of the Greenville Metro area to show my wife and I think asking the locals would probably be the easiest way.. So here it goes..

Ive done a lot of googling and found out there's quite the art scene there and turning into a foodie town which is great, but how is the ethnic diversity there?

I think that's a bit of hype and a bit of truth as far as the art and foodie scene. It's emerging, but it pales in comparison to most college towns, or Asheville up the road. The Village of West Greenville (an area undergoing gentrification) is the epicenter of the art scene, with some restaurants moving in there recently.

Here in northern Colorado, it's predominantly white. I want my son to grow up seeing and hearing all different languages and different cultures (not just your typical Wyoming cowboy). Does it havea China town or little Italy etc? Being Chinese myself, I don't want my son to feel different and have other kids treat him differently.

It's predominantly white and black here, with self-segregation as the norm. The main cultural diversity comes from the international companies based here like BMW and Michelin. There's not enough of a population to support a "little" anything, but there are some Asian folk here, and some Asian markets and restaurants. I've seen some blatant out-right racism here, and wouldn't expect your kid to go through unscathed as far as that goes. If y'all are Christian, that'll help. It's us atheists at the bottom of the local totem pole.

Is there much of a youth hockey world there?
Not that I've heard of.

What is the reasoning behind houses not having basements there?
Radon. This area has one of the highest radon concentrations in the nation.

Are there "safer" cities or suburbs?
I have found that things in Greenville can change quickly block by block. The suburbs are a little more "safe" as a rule, albeit less diverse as well. There are more transplants in the burbs as well. The main crimes here are property crimes (car break-ins, garage and shed break-ins, etc) There's a considerable amount of that here compared to Colorado.

I've read that there are neighborhoods with more transplants than locals etc and that some locals still don't like them yanks.. Is that true or just someone's jaded view?
We did not feel welcome in the Augusta Rd neighborhood. People there are more interested in status, who you know, your last name, how southern you are, etc...

How are the school systems there? Any one better than the other?
SC ranks 48th in the nation for education with 75% of the kids here in Greenville recently rated as not prepared for college. Choose wisely, stay deeply involved, consider home-school.

I see there's only 1 or 2 major highways connecting suburbs to Greenville, how bad is traffic there?

There's a definite rush hour twice a day, and some places are getting quite bad. There was little to no planning here compared to western cities, or Fort Collins if that's where you're coming from. There is often only one route to a location via a two-lane road. The lights, in general, are not timed. The city of Greenville is working on this, not so much in the county.

Ive seen summers are miserable there(especially coming from no humidity Colorado) are they really that bad? I've lived in Chicago for 7 years and summer nights don't cool down much from day time temperature. Is there much change from day to night? Here in Colorado it can be 96 during the day then cool breezy 60s at night.

Compared to Colorado, no there's not much change from day to night. Compared to Houston, it's better than that. The further North towards the mountains you go, the better this gets. I personally find July/August/September to get quite brutal, especially when the wind stops blowing.

Thanks for reading and responding. Looking forward to the responses.

One of the things we have come to love most here, compared to Colorado, is the diversity of plant life. The huge deciduous forest is an amazing thing to behold, especially as the seasons change. We are at the foot of the Appalachian mountains which aren't nearly as majestic as the Rockies, but much more rich in diversity and life, with abundant creeks and waterfalls.

Last edited by Art123; 05-03-2017 at 07:17 AM..

Old 05-03-2017, 12:17 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,869,148 times
There is indeed a higher incidence of finding elevated radon in homes here; however after being here and selling real estate for 3 years I have yet to have a radon test come up elevated. The clay soil, as in Raleigh, where I moved from, is the reason for very few basements.
Art's advice about choosing wisely and staying involved in the schools is a good one. My kids were grown by the time we moved here, so I have no first-hand experience. However, I have many friends whose kids did go to school here and they did very well- becoming pharmacists, doctors, businessmen, etc.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:16 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,397,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipout55 View Post
I'm trying to make a list of pros and cons of the Greenville Metro area to show my wife and I think asking the locals would probably be the easiest way.. So here it goes.. .
How did you hear about Greenville SC out in northern Colorado?

I am at my brother's place in Atlanta this week and I've heard Greenville commercials on the radio. I was wondering if you heard a commercial for Greenville in Colorado. They've supposedly done commercials in several markets.

If you want a metro with a Chinatown area, I think that you will have to move to a large city. Wikipedia has a list of Chinatowns in the United States and many of those appear to no longer exist including the one in Denver. Atlanta and Charlotte do not even appear to have one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinat..._United_States

Last edited by ClemVegas; 05-03-2017 at 09:18 PM..

Old 05-05-2017, 05:03 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,408,573 times
The southeast has never had any large migration of Asians.

Though there are no China towns, one place in the region you might check out is the Buford Highway in the Atlanta area. There is a lot of Asian food (and other cuisines) all along it and from what I've been told, it's where Asians themselves go to eat.

Where to Eat on Atlanta's Buford Highway - Bon Appétit | Bon Appetit

https://www.southernfoodways.org/ora...uford-highway/

Agree with Art about the trees and plants, especially in the nearby mountains which have the greatest biodiversity on the planet.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:36 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,869,148 times
Morrisville and Cary, outside of Raleigh, also have an Asian influence. I had several Taiwanese and Indian clients when I lived in Raleigh and that was the area my clients preferred.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:59 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
The southeast has never had any large migration of Asians.

Though there are no China towns, one place in the region you might check out is the Buford Highway in the Atlanta area. There is a lot of Asian food (and other cuisines) all along it and from what I've been told, it's where Asians themselves go to eat.

Where to Eat on Atlanta's Buford Highway - Bon Appétit | Bon Appetit

https://www.southernfoodways.org/ora...uford-highway/

Agree with Art about the trees and plants, especially in the nearby mountains which have the greatest biodiversity on the planet.
There is a significant Korean community in Atlanta. If you get off of I-85 in the Norcross / Duluth area NE of Atlanta, there are several exits where many of the signs for businesses are in Korean and English, or in some cases, only in Korean.

Old 05-06-2017, 06:13 AM

958 posts, read 2,621,274 times
Have you seen LivePD on A&E lately? You want to stay away from the areas they tend to patrol on there. Certainly not portraying Greenville in a positive light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area