Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 06:44 PM

3 posts, read 4,173 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to make a list of pros and cons of the Greenville Metro area to show my wife and I think asking the locals would probably be the easiest way.. So here it goes..

Ive done a lot of googling and found out there's quite the art scene there and turning into a foodie town which is great, but how is the ethnic diversity there? Here in northern Colorado, it's predominantly white. I want my son to grow up seeing and hearing all different languages and different cultures (not just your typical Wyoming cowboy). Does it havea China town or little Italy etc? Being Chinese myself, I don't want my son to feel different and have other kids treat him differently.

Is there much of a youth hockey world there?

What is the reasoning behind houses not having basements there?

Are there "safer" cities or suburbs?

I've read that there are neighborhoods with more transplants than locals etc and that some locals still don't like them yanks.. Is that true or just someone's jaded view?

How are the school systems there? Any one better than the other?

I see there's only 1 or 2 major highways connecting suburbs to Greenville, how bad is traffic there?

Ive seen summers are miserable there(especially coming from no humidity Colorado) are they really that bad? I've lived in Chicago for 7 years and summer nights don't cool down much from day time temperature. Is there much change from day to night? Here in Colorado it can be 96 during the day then cool breezy 60s at night.

Thanks for reading and responding. Looking forward to the responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 07:18 PM

2,445 posts, read 2,891,754 times
Hi! I can answer some of your questions. Greenville is not big enough to have distinct ethnic neighborhoods, but there is definitely diversity here. Here is one site that gives some demographics; I'm sure there are others:Demographics : Greenville Area Development Corporation (GADC).

Sorry; don't know anything about youth hockey.

The clay soil, whch absorbs a lot of moisture, but then cracks when it dries out, is the main reason for no basements. Some homes have walk-out basements.

You can google crime rates for any address if you go to LexisNexis® Community Crime Map.

Some of the older, more established neighborhoods may be less wekcoming to transplants; maybe someone else here who lives in one of those neighborhoods can better help with that question. But beleive me, there are plenty of transplants here!

The school systems are countywide, and each county has schools that are highly rated. You can view the school report cards here:Report Cards - South Carolina Department of Education

Traffic on the interstates can get backed up, especially now with the construction going on, but it's all relative. Much better than Raleigh, where I moved from.

Summers are hot and humid but I find much more bearable than on Long Island, where I lived a while ago. Central AC doe wonders.

Hope this helps a bit!

Old 05-01-2017, 08:02 PM

826 posts, read 1,134,550 times
Beth covered things quite a bit, but I'll chip in my two cents.

There is definitely some diversity here, more than one might expect for the south. White is definitely still the majority. There are number of engineering related companies in the area that have brought transplants of all races with them.

Crime: definitely take a look at the maps vs trying to judge the area as a whole. There are a few bad neighborhoods that seem to skew the statistics.

Traffic: it is largely subjective. Someone from a small town will probably think its bad, someone from a big city will say the traffic is nothing to worry about. But your observation is right, the interstates are the only highways in the area. Greenville county really doesn't have any other highways/parkways that have no or limited traffic lights.

Weather: Summers are hot and humid. But there is generally some relief at night. We do get a few heat waves each summer were things can truly get miserable even at night. The trade off is the winters are generally mild especially in comparison to Chicago or Colorado. We generally get 1 or 2 (sometimes none) winter weather events each year and that is where northern transplants get surprised. Not by the weather itself but how it is handled. Everything pretty much just shuts down until mother nature makes the roads passable again, which is generally only a day or two. Though black ice can sometimes linger longer than that. We also generally get more ice than snow, which catches some of the "I can drive in anything" transplants of guard. We simply don't have the equipment, because its just not worth it for the small amount snow/ice we get each year, if we get any.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:50 AM

Thank you, vtmike for elaboratng on some of my points. Good one about the ice- yeah hate it when recent transplants laugh at us because everything shuts down after a storm; however you can't drive on ice and since it does often go above freezing during the day in the winter, the snow or ice will melt during the day and re-freeze at night, when temps drop.

Last edited by BigRedBeth; 05-02-2017 at 09:11 AM..

Old 05-02-2017, 09:04 AM

12,638 posts, read 32,178,555 times
Hi there!

Here is my 2 cents. I don't think it's that diverse here. Although, that's not saying there aren't different ethnic groups here. Greenville is a smaller city but it's growing. To me, places like Atlanta or Charlotte would offer more diversity. It all depends if you are looking for a bigger city.

They offer youth ice hockey here at The Pavilion in Taylors.

There are plenty safe towns around that are good to raise kids.

To me, the traffic isn't bad at all. Yes, the main arteries, during rush hour get backed up but they do move along.

It gets hot during the day in the summer but normally it cools off in the evening or morning.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:32 AM

120 posts, read 130,583 times
I assume it is less than 4 or 5 days of snow and ice in the winter each year. Please correct me if I am wrong. I read roads in Greenville are curvy, hilly. Are there specific areas where this poses more issues for driving?

Old 05-02-2017, 09:34 AM

Yes; normally 4-5 days ay most, with some exceptions.
Roads in the north Main area are curvy and hilly but most of Greenville is not.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:55 AM

120 posts, read 130,583 times
Thank you Beth.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:03 PM

3 posts, read 4,173 times
Thank you all for the feedback. Anyone here live in Easley? Or knows anyone that lives there? Looks like a fairly newly developed area with all the new construction going on

Old 05-02-2017, 12:53 PM

I sold a home in Easley recently to a couple relocating from PA. They built in a new development and are extremely happy. He works in Powdersville (right next to Easley), and she works in downtown Greenville- takes her about 15 minutes to get to work. One of the things they love is that they are able to have a good-sized lot. Of course not everyone wants the maintenance of a big lawn, but if you are looking for that kind of neighborhood, and new construction, it is available at a decent price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area