Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 05:59 PM

140 posts, read 271,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
I was glad to find that Aldi's has their own steel cut oatmeal. It's hard to find except very pricey imported stuff. TJ's has their own brand as well, but they are twice as far from our house. BTW- If you like steel cut oatmeal, beware of the 'quick cook' kind- ain't the same.
Believe it or not, the cheapest steel cut oats I have found around here is at Whole Foods in the bulk section. It is cheaper by the pound than Aldi. A big part of the cost at most stores is the packaging. I stock up when I visit my family in Indiana because they have a small Mennonite owned store that sells it in bulk for 1/2 of what it costs at WF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 08:25 PM

175 posts, read 201,725 times
My daughter and I went there on Friday and it was a mad house. We had to yell at each other to be heard. It is clean and shiny. The employees are very nice. However, I feel Aldi will still be my number one store. It is nice to have options though.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:54 AM

604 posts, read 584,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millers1987 View Post
Believe it or not, the cheapest steel cut oats I have found around here is at Whole Foods in the bulk section. It is cheaper by the pound than Aldi. A big part of the cost at most stores is the packaging. I stock up when I visit my family in Indiana because they have a small Mennonite owned store that sells it in bulk for 1/2 of what it costs at WF.
You can buy them dirt cheap on line- if you're willing to buy 10 lbs.! I worry about freshness, though. How long do they keep?

Old 06-23-2017, 07:05 PM

140 posts, read 271,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
You can buy them dirt cheap on line- if you're willing to buy 10 lbs.! I worry about freshness, though. How long do they keep?
I've not been able to find anything online (with shipping) for less than what I last paid at WF which was $1.20, I think. What's the cheapest you found online? I only pay .60 cents a pound in Indiana so I stock up & keep them in the freezer & they keep just fine for a long time.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:32 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,758,484 times
I hate Lidl's commercials. Do they think beeping out the f word is funny?

Old 06-25-2017, 09:33 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
Have to agree with you on that one, they ARE horrible, and excruciatingly too long.

I guess when prices are supposed to be low you go for the cheapest advertising company and the cheapest production. I think they get paid by word count too, so it surely saves them money!

Old 06-25-2017, 10:35 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,869,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
Wow! I only watch Netflix; another reason not to watch TV.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:25 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,115,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Have to agree with you on that one, they ARE horrible, and excruciatingly too long.

I guess when prices are supposed to be low you go for the cheapest advertising company and the cheapest production. I think they get paid by word count too, so it surely saves them money!

These Lidl commercials are indeed horrible. Very disappointing, because normally Lidl commercials tend to be quite good. They work together with one of the worlds largest advertising companies. Lidl spends actually quite a lot of money for advertising.

Here are some examples for well-made Lidl commercials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqpiEufiLUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YnkCWg3utU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baRBEp22jPY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz87qoA_rCI

Old 06-26-2017, 06:40 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Tried Lidl for the first time today. It was okay, but it didnt meet the hype. Traders is still far and away the best of the three. Lidl didnt have as much grocery as I was expecting. The selection was limited.

And many of the products just looked like knockoffs of name brands. Surprised Lays hasnt filed a lawsuit yet. Lidl had generic Lays, while Traders has unique products like their Hawaiian chips.

And the prices didnt seem that groundbreaking. Imo Walmart still has and probably will always have, the lowest prices.

Traders has the best prices, best customer service, best selection, and best products. I welcome Lidl, and will try it again someday, but it didnt come across as the trailblazer that everyone has made it sound on my first visit.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 06-26-2017 at 06:55 PM..

Old 06-26-2017, 07:46 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,014,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Tried Lidl for the first time today. It was okay, but it didnt meet the hype. Traders is still far and away the best of the three. Lidl didnt have as much grocery as I was expecting. The selection was limited.

And many of the products just looked like knockoffs of name brands. Surprised Lays hasnt filed a lawsuit yet. Lidl had generic Lays, while Traders has unique products like their Hawaiian chips.

And the prices didnt seem that groundbreaking. Imo Walmart still has and probably will always have, the lowest prices.

Traders has the best prices, best customer service, best selection, and best products. I welcome Lidl, and will try it again someday, but it didnt come across as the trailblazer that everyone has made it sound on my first visit.

Maybe Lay's is making those chips for them. Who knows? You would be surprised at the number of name brand companies that package their products or a version of under Generic or store brands.

....and Walmart the crappiest customer service. I have asked three different Walmart managers at the nearest Neighborhood Market to me to get a Great Value product that is at other Walmart stores and was sold at their store at one time but the barcode must have dropped off the shelf. Hasn't appeared this year. They don't seem to care to even order and restock it. Terrible- especially because their private labels carry the highest margins for them. Each of them told me if it's their label they should have it.

I was in Lidl tonight and the stock seemed to be low on many items. I would give them time. The busy grand opening has probably taken its toll on inventory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area