Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 10:57 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,675,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I believe smaller stores don't have to allow the public to use their bathrooms, especially if there is a public toilet in close proximity, but larger stores are required to have a bathroom for public access. Can understand locking bathrooms...it helps deter people who just want to wreck havoc on the bathroom.

People can be such slobs, I feel bad for those who have to clean the bathrooms up from the slobs who mess them up. These people are just so nasty!

If your Lidl is mapped out like the ones here, bathroom is when you walk in, right near bakery.
Thank you! The restrooms were hidden right where you said, right next to the giant rack of mum plants.

In the latest edition of egg wars, last time, the egg prices were: Lidl .38, Aldi .36. Today it was Lidl .36, Aldi. 35. I can't imagine that any other stores in Gastonia are selling many eggs.

I tried the focaccia in the bakery. It's very good. The computer for the bakery printer was down, so I wrote the identification on the bakery bag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 06:28 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,179,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Thank you! The restrooms were hidden right where you said, right next to the giant rack of mum plants.

In the latest edition of egg wars, last time, the egg prices were: Lidl .38, Aldi .36. Today it was Lidl .36, Aldi. 35. I can't imagine that any other stores in Gastonia are selling many eggs.

I tried the focaccia in the bakery. It's very good. The computer for the bakery printer was down, so I wrote the identification on the bakery bag.
Glad to help!

Last time there eggs where .26¢, gallon of milk was $1.36. It seems to change every time I'm there. Not sure if its commodity change, loss leader or just overstock and they needmto move it. Milk was a little short dated, I noticed.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Glad to help!

Last time there eggs where .26¢, gallon of milk was $1.36. It seems to change every time I'm there. Not sure if its commodity change, loss leader or just overstock and they needmto move it. Milk was a little short dated, I noticed.
LOL when I saw the egg price decreases it made me wonder. I wonder who will be the first to take the price off the eggs & offer them free with any purchase of $20 or more.

Who do you think that the 2 are damaging the most? My guess in Gastonia is Bi-Lo. There has to be damage to a couple of nearby Food Lions too.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:28 PM

The last time I was in the Gastonia Lidl they had added a 2nd type of focaccia in the bakery. Both are excellent.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:57 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,453,176 times
Lidl has the best prices on a fair amount of organic produce and non-organic. I go there first to load up on produce.

I've pretty much stopped buying commercial frozen food I used to buy now that I know that code for "natural flavors" "enriched" "fortified" "citric acid" and others turns out to be Glutamic acid, an excitotoxin the same as the "G" in MSG. Practically the entire food industry uses these and they are NOT preservatives but simply a way to mess with our brains to make us like the taste of the food and want more of it.

I decided to ask what "natural flavors" consisted of on a Trader Joe's item I always used to get. They checked with their regional office and the response was it was "proprietary". A red flag went up in my mind and I started researching and found a biochemist in California had discovered that much of what I used to think had to be harmless,( especially if the item was "organic"), turned out to be code for the excito-toxin glutamic acid used in MSG. She'd found out that by taking her formerly diagnosed autistic daughter completely off of these foods, she was able to get rid of all of her symptoms of autism and is now no longer on the ASD spectrum.

Here is the list of code words for glutamic acid if anyone is interested. Hidden Sources of MSG
This might be easier to read and remember. http://www.msgtruth.org/avoid.htm

So now I refrain from buying a lot of what I used to get and make it from scratch instead.

Last edited by emilybh; 11-29-2017 at 02:23 AM..

Old 12-04-2017, 12:49 PM

9,495 posts, read 9,811,110 times
Lidl has partnered with Shipt to deliver to many areas of the Upstate.

If you sign up now, you can get the annual membership at half price. Free delivery if order is over $35. (They do add a small up charge on every item).

I haven't used this service because I live in 29680 which is not in the delivery area yet.

https://www.shipt.com/lidl-grocery-delivery/

Old 12-23-2017, 12:07 AM

This week the Lidl bakery has croissants with chocolate hazelnut filling on sale for 69 cents. I tried one & it's very good, not too sweet.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:56 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,453,176 times
I've decided that Whole Foods, when they have the big heads of fresh organic Romaine Lettuce for $2.99, is the best place to get it and your best bang for your buck because it is fresh and it weighs 2lbs or more whereas the bags of organic Romaine cost the same or more at any store; they aren't as fresh and it weighs just a pound. So you end up getting a lot less and paying more for what you get. I used to buy the bags of organic Romaine at Trader Joe's and before that the Earthbound brand at Whole Foods until they raised the price. Then it dawned on me to weigh them. (I don't know why I didn't think to compare it ages ago.)

From now on I will be buying organic carrots at Lidl which are 99 cents a pound since Whole Foods, which used to charge 99cents for their loose/bulk organic carrots, now raised their price by 30 cents per pound! So much for "lower prices" after the big Amazon buy out of Whole Foods which was supposed to take place.

I got some persimmons at Lidl which were giant size compared to the small ones I'd gotten at Trader Joe's and paid 75 cents each for. Lidl was charging a dollar each but they were so much bigger than the ones at Trader Joe's I thought they were a good deal.

Mangos are generally priced pretty fairly at Lidl. Their prices for mandarins and clementines are all over the map.

They have the best prices by far for organic eggs and are about 2 or 3 dollars cheaper than anywhere else.

I'm not too sure about their "wild caught salmon". Evidently some of the "Wild Caught" salmon
is wild caught in the northeast Pacific ocean but then frozen, packaged and shipped from China which makes me wonder what is really going on. If the salmon is a medium orange color it is a dead give away that it is NOT wild and is from farm. If it is reddish (like a Cara cara orange), it is wild caught. So I have a funny feeling Lidl's salmon which says it is a product of China but also says "wild caught" but it not orangey red but just orange, is NOT wild caught like the package says. Oh well, I bought some but probably won't be buying any more.

Giving out coupons for $5 off of a purchase of $30 or more is pretty nice too. I'm not sure how long that will last.

One thing that is obnoxious at Lidl is carding people who clearly are way over 21 years old when they buy a bottle of wine. To me that is harassment. They did that to me at Earthfare once and I decided not to buy the wine I was so offended. [Talk about being treated like a slave]. I complained to the headquarters and told them how often I'd shopped there especially when I lived in Charleston and told them if this was going to be how they were going to treat their loyal customers, I was going to take my business elsewhere. The next time I went in, they came running towards me with a $5 off coupon and apologized.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:17 AM

387 posts, read 330,935 times
You're offended at being IDed? C'mon. It takes 5 seconds to flash a driver license, and if the employee is a little overzealous in asking for ID it is probably just because they're afraid of breaking the employer policy saying they have to ID "under 30" or something. Take it as a compliment! I got IDed at Publix recently and it just made me laugh (I'm closer to 60 than to 21) but it was a young clerk.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:22 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,868,726 times
Re: wild salmon vs. farmed; we just had some wild salmon from Lidl and it was very good. It was keta salmon, which is pink rather than red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area