Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2017, 06:08 PM

1,279 posts, read 851,993 times

Advertisements

In Greenville in the '80s and early '90s, I never went downtown (except to church). Nor did anyone else I knew. There was basically nothing there, other than offices, mostly.

So, random question: how did Woolworth's on N. Main Street survive so long? I believe that it closed in the late '90s.

Did any middle/upper-income people shop there? Was it just for people who worked downtown? Was it only for low-income people? It seemed kind of run down.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 10:35 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,211,197 times
I can't really answer your question, but I worked on Main Street, about a block From Woolworths from 93-97.I had lunch there one time right before it closed, toasted egg salad and a pimento cheese I think.I'm pretty sure they closed in 96. By the end it was sort of an old worn out dollar type store, but you could still see signs that it was once something more.

The decline of downtown and rebirth took a total of about 30 years.I'm calling it 1970 until 2000.

Think about this, in the 70's you could go in Belk's on Main, got to the second floor, what is now Mast General's shoe dept and buy a shotgun, wow I'm getting old!

Old 08-14-2017, 09:57 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,179,127 times
I remember Woolworth's so well, but the one in Coral Gables, FL...fond memories of the lunch counter, and horrid memories of my Grandmother yelling my name out to find me when she knew I was in the toy area!

Old 08-15-2017, 06:35 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,012,126 times
IF Woolworths could survive DT when it was dead just imagine now how well a general merchandise store like an Urban sized Target would do now. I wonder which department store will be the first to realize they may want to return to downtown areas with smaller footprint stores with collection/return points for online orders. Many people are returning to live in DT's across the country so it would make sense that the department stores would follow as well.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:43 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,025 times
In HS, I worked at Woolworth's in Park City Mall in Lancaster, PA in the mid 1990's. I guess you could say that I helped to make it what it is today.

Lancaster also had a downtown flagship Woolworth's store, which fit a very similar description to the downtown Greenville store at the end of its life.

We sold guns and ammo in that shopping mall store back in the 1990's. My, have times changed since then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area