Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 5,095 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating within a few months to the Greenville area. I like the Travelers Rest area and have been told by locals that Travelers Rest is a little known secret (but won't be for long). My husband on the other hand likes Simpsonville. It would be a lot closer to his potential job and closer to things in general. I like the laid back lifestyle that TR seems to have, and I worry that Simpsonville is becoming congested and over populated? Crime is also a concern of mine. Any insight or opinions on either Travelers Rest or Simpsonville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2006, 01:01 PM

286 posts, read 1,471,733 times
I visit both almost weekly and have lived in or near both. TR definetely has a more laid back country approach to life. The geography is also much different in that you feel like you are close to the mountains. Simpsonville will provide more of life's conveniences, but in my opinion lacks character and will be swallowed by suburbia very soon.

All that being said, the majority of people must prefer Simpsonville based on construction.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:16 AM

107 posts, read 518,308 times
My family has made several trips to the Greenville area in preparation for our eventual relocation next year. We too considered Travelers Rest and Simsponville amongst other places. We eventually chose Simpsonville and have since bought a lot there. Travelers Rest was very close to the Mountains with quick access to some great camping, hiking, scenery etc...Simpsonville, however had the better schools and easy access to Woodruff Road, the commercial mecca of the area. The mountains around travelers rest are still readily accessible from Simpsonville. So, because we have kids and like to pamper ourselves a bit, we chose Simpsonville. However, if we had no kids and lots of dough, we would build a home up in those mountains. There are some great homes up there!

Old 12-17-2006, 09:29 AM

Why someone would want easy access to Woodruff road is beyond me. I was on Woodruff road last night and my wife and I looked at each other and she commented that if you didn't know where you were you would think New York city. It takes 30 minutes to drive 2 miles while horns are blowing, people blocking intersections....and on and on.

For me, being close to Woodruff is about as appealing as a lawn dart to the head.

It's a strange phenomenon how people are attracted to crowds, thus making the crowds larger and eventually a miserable place to be. The "hot" spot has hopped around town. At one time it was Laurens Road. Now, that is a ghost town. But they will continue to squeeze business after business onto Woodruff Road.

Almost like petty clicks in high school of where the "popular" place is to hang out.

I can't wait for our house to be ready in Traveler's Rest so that I can have a little space. That too will eventually change though, as the "hot" spot is bound to be Travelers Rest at some point.

Old 12-17-2006, 01:33 PM

I don't know if you've ever been to NYC or any other NE City, but Woodruff Road is a dream compared to every other intersection up here. To have to worry about avoiding just 1 stretch of road when you want to get somewhere quickly is very nice for us yanks. I currently live in a condo around which, every road is a Woodruff and it costs more than the 5 bedroom home I just bought in Simsponville. It's all relative. I'm sure its quite extreme for most Carolinians, that's one of the many reasons I am becoming one. So, nope...no lawn darts in MY head. Woodruff Road, here we come!
I certainly wasn't knocking TRest, it's great up there! It's just not the right choice for me at this time.

Last edited by Biscuits&Gravy; 12-17-2006 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: incomplete

Old 12-17-2006, 02:20 PM

Thanks for replying in a civilized manor. After re-reading my post I realize that I must be in a tizzy with all the holiday shopping, etc.

I have been to many large cities, including living in New Orleans and Atlanta. You make valid points. My memory obviously faded, or has selectively removed recollection of the craziness. It will happen to you too after living here a while.

Likewise, I was in no way attacking Simpsonville. It is a nice place to live. Most of our friends live there. My rant was more of a statement that it doesn't work for me. I respect that it has merrit for many people.

Welcome to the Upstate!

Old 12-18-2006, 03:42 PM

Thanks Tony! Looking forward to it.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,682 times
I dont know if you all know this but TR is Pedifiler central. go to this sight and tpye in travelers rest 75% of the sex offenders are pedifilers. Office of the Sheriff: Greenville County, South Carolina

Old 02-21-2008, 04:44 PM

893 posts, read 775,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits&Gravy View Post
I don't know if you've ever been to NYC or any other NE City, but Woodruff Road is a dream compared to every other intersection up here. To have to worry about avoiding just 1 stretch of road when you want to get somewhere quickly is very nice for us yanks. I currently live in a condo around which, every road is a Woodruff and it costs more than the 5 bedroom home I just bought in Simsponville. It's all relative. I'm sure its quite extreme for most Carolinians, that's one of the many reasons I am becoming one. So, nope...no lawn darts in MY head. Woodruff Road, here we come!
I certainly wasn't knocking TRest, it's great up there! It's just not the right choice for me at this time.
Basically you're saying it's great for the northerners but you've turned into hell for the locals.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:55 PM

32 posts, read 155,760 times
Default Simpsonville vs. TR

I;m an agent fromt he area and certainly can help you better define what you are best suited for.
TR (that's how we say Travelers Rest here), is a wonderful community and has lots of different nieghborhoods. It is nothing like what you may know if you live in a big city environment or even a small city for that matter. You can have a sweet family on a 10 acre lot in the countryside and then pops up a subdivision with homes in the 100-200K range. It is closer to the mountains and views are a small drive away. Asheville is about 40 minutes. Access to beutiful drives here too!

S'Ville is fabulous if you like to get to shops and medical quickly...just learn which roads are most used and go around them...you can easily. Plenty of shops, pleanty of neighborhoods, people from all over, and tons of things to do....I live in the country part of S'Ville and LOVE IT!!! Try visiting the Fairview Rd area....it's not like Woodruff Rd at all and close to a ton. The only thing we seem to lack on this end is an office supply store...it'll come soon enough!!!

Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by christina0001; 02-22-2008 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: real estate advertising
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area