Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 07:40 AM

4,558 posts, read 5,911,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I would be okay with another successful supermarket. BI-LO and Food Lion failed because they are failures.
Changing topic somewhat but I don't think that Food Lion is a failure they just got some bad advice on some of their Greenville locations and Holland Rd was one of them with all the competition nearby on Woodruff Rd. The W. Georgia Rd store and Moonville store on Hwy. 25 store are still thriving as well as some of their other upstate stores. Surely another grocer is not going in that Holland Rd location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 08:03 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,256,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Changing topic somewhat but I don't think that Food Lion is a failure they just got some bad advice on some of their Greenville locations and Holland Rd was one of them with all the competition nearby on Woodruff Rd. The W. Georgia Rd store and Moonville store on Hwy. 25 store are still thriving as well as some of their other upstate stores. Surely another grocer is not going in that Holland Rd location.
When I drive by the Moonville store, it doesn't normally look as busy as the Ingles up the road that hasn't seen significant remodel in 20+ years. If they ever remodel that Ingles, that Food Lion will probably be toast. Food Lion was successful in the 80s and 90s but they didn't seem to adapt well to the post-Walmart Supercenter grocery environment. They've recently tried to go a bit upscale with their remodels but still lag behind the newer Ingles stores and far behind even the older Publix stores.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
When I drive by the Moonville store, it doesn't normally look as busy as the Ingles up the road that hasn't seen significant remodel in 20+ years. If they ever remodel that Ingles, that Food Lion will probably be toast. Food Lion was successful in the 80s and 90s but they didn't seem to adapt well to the post-Walmart Supercenter grocery environment. They've recently tried to go a bit upscale with their remodels but still lag behind the newer Ingles stores and far behind even the older Publix stores.
It takes Ingles forever and a day to do anything to their stores. I'm not sure they will be any threat to that Food Lion anytime soon.

You go to other parts of the state like the midlands and low country and Food Lion is much more successful. Charlotte and the rest of NC as well. I think BI-LO, Ingles and Publix were just to established here with the best locations when Food Lion/Bloom entered this market. For some reason many long time Greenville residents remain loyal to BI-LO.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
It takes Ingles forever and a day to do anything to their stores. I'm not sure they will be any threat to that Food Lion anytime soon.

You go to other parts of the state like the midlands and low country and Food Lion is much more successful. Charlotte and the rest of NC as well. I think BI-LO, Ingles and Publix were just to established here with the best locations when Food Lion/Bloom entered this market. For some reason many long time Greenville residents remain loyal to BI-LO.
Have you been to the newer Ingles stores in Western NC? Those stores are super nice and they are starting to do those kind of store remodels in Anderson County. Hopefully they continue those remodels into Greenville and Spartanburg counties. They have been slow - partially because they are such a small chain.

Bi-Lo is likely going to be gone entirely in the next 2-3 years. That will present an opportunity for someone - I'm guessing Publix will pick off the better locations to give them a chance to further expand in this market.

Food Lion made a pretty big stumble in this area with their failed Bloom concept that they have yet to recover from. I do agree that many of the Bloom locations in the Upstate were poor. Some of that may have been lack of locations but a lot of it like the store on Holland Rd. seems mainly self-inflicted.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
Have you been to the newer Ingles stores in Western NC? Those stores are super nice and they are starting to do those kind of store remodels in Anderson County. Hopefully they continue those remodels into Greenville and Spartanburg counties. They have been slow - partially because they are such a small chain.

Bi-Lo is likely going to be gone entirely in the next 2-3 years. That will present an opportunity for someone - I'm guessing Publix will pick off the better locations to give them a chance to further expand in this market.

Food Lion made a pretty big stumble in this area with their failed Bloom concept that they have yet to recover from. I do agree that many of the Bloom locations in the Upstate were poor. Some of that may have been lack of locations but a lot of it like the store on Holland Rd. seems mainly self-inflicted.
Yes. Very nice stores. It seems like Ingles has made the investment in western NC (their homebase) probably to defend their home turf to incoming Publix. The Moonville and Simpsonville Ingles stores are like walking into the 70's and 80's. They need to be replaced but the competition has already increased so much I wonder if they will.

I think Food Lion with it's 1100 stores and the financial backing of a huge international company will long outlast debt loaded BI-LO even though they haven't been successful in Greenville County. Food Lion recently acquired some of the BI-LO locations in Myrtle Beach, Florence and Columbia. They already have a lot of stores in the Beach area. I was in Charlotte this weekend and Food Lion has so many locations that it's hard not to stop in one when they are practically on every corner.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:18 AM

We used to go to Oak Island, NC for vacation and the last couple of years we went there, they had opened a smaller Food Lion store that was nice. I do expect them to long outlast Bi-Lo as a chain. I'm just not sure they can overcome their initial stumbles in the Upstate market.

The one thing Ingles does have even with the older stores is that many of them are in good locations where a strong remodel could work to regain marketshare. Both the Mauldin and Simpsonville stores should have been remodeled 10 years ago but they are both in good locations. For some reason, Ingles seems to focus more on rural markets with the stores in Anderson, Clemson, Seneca, Easley, and even Liberty being much nicer than in suburban locations like Mauldin and Simpsonville. Seems like a lost opportunity to me.

Old 06-08-2018, 05:47 AM

11,689 posts, read 24,645,722 times
First tenants announced: https://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...ing/680893002/

Old 06-08-2018, 09:45 AM

Aerial pic I took: https://s3.amazonaws.com/up-bucket-0...b8085d539.jpeg

Old 06-11-2018, 08:18 AM

Former Bloom store leased to Alorica.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:43 AM

5,996 posts, read 7,052,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Is that a real picture? The interstate looks fake, actually it all does
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area