Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 10:31 AM

8 posts, read 16,085 times

Advertisements

Hello to all of you:

My wife and I are looking to move to the area of Gaffney, SC from the sun belt of AZ.
We need to know some answers to our questions below, so we can have a better understanding.

1. What areas around Gaffney would be a great place to purchase a three bedroom free standing
house ?

2. What would the car registration, insurance and plates cost us per year or longer ?

3. SC have a state sales tax, if so what is the percentage ? Gas Tax rate is ?

4. How much snow if any do you have in Winter months - like- 6 inches or more ?

5. SC tax retirement incomes ?

6. Real Estate taxes on a $200,000 would be about ?

7. Is transportation by bus available outside of Gaffney to hospitals etc ?

8. Any other helpful information for two pensioners in their 70's with good health ?

9. Thank you for reading this and looking forward for your truthful answers !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 10:48 AM

411 posts, read 853,139 times
I'm curious...have you even been to Gaffney? Gaffney is...I won't say awful, but there's not much to write home about. It's actually in an economically distressed county.

Most everything shopping and restaurant wise is clustered around the interstate. There is one nice area of the city proper with historic homes (mostly lumped around Limestone College). I've tried to answer your questions below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke14 View Post
Hello to all of you:

My wife and I are looking to move to the area of Gaffney, SC from the sun belt of AZ.
We need to know some answers to our questions below, so we can have a better understanding.

1. What areas around Gaffney would be a great place to purchase a three bedroom free standing
house ? See above

2. What would the car registration, insurance and plates cost us per year or longer ? Depends on the vehicle. Taxes/registration on my 2003 sedan is roughly $60 in Greenville County. It was similar in Spartanburg County. I would assume it would be about the same for Cherokee County.

3. SC have a state sales tax, if so what is the percentage ? Gas Tax rate is ? The sales tax in SC is 6%. Depending on where you shop or eat, there may be a 1 to 2% hospitality tax tacked on. I don't know what the gas tax rate is but it's low. Right now, a gallon of regular gasoline is roughly $2.92.

4. How much snow if any do you have in Winter months - like- 6 inches or more ? Snow is rather rare and if we get it, it's no more than 3 inches usually. If it snows at all, prepare for crazy traffic. If snow is forecasted, be prepared for the groceries to have no milk or bread. True story.

5. SC tax retirement incomes ? No clue.

6. Real Estate taxes on a $200,000 would be about ? It will vary by county. They are pretty low from what I understand. Probably no more than $1500 a year if not lower.

7. Is transportation by bus available outside of Gaffney to hospitals etc ? By ambulance? Just kidding. I don't think there are any public transportation options in Gaffney or Cherokee County. The area is served by Gaffney Medical Center. I imagine that you'd be transferred to Spartanburg Regional Medical Center if you have any complicated medical issues.

8. Any other helpful information for two pensioners in their 70's with good health? Don't move to Gaffney? I would definitely look around more before committing there. I'm in my 30s so the small town life is not my cup of tea. But even if I was of retirement age, Gaffney just doesn't have the conveniences I would want.

9. Thank you for reading this and looking forward for your truthful answers !
Good luck!

Old 10-02-2014, 11:05 AM

958 posts, read 2,620,837 times
Agree with the above. Gaffney is no retirement haven nor is it anywhere to write home about. Cherokee County is generally poor, roads are spotty (I-85 through there is downright dangerous). If you have family near or another good reason to live there, go for it, but it's not a place I would desire to live.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:32 PM

271 posts, read 796,939 times
I agree with the others...when I read the title I had to come in and see WHY someone would choose to move to Gaffney! I think the only people who live there are people who have always lived there, and have no way out (or just don't realize there's more to life than the small town they grew up in).

Old 10-03-2014, 06:47 AM

506 posts, read 1,222,166 times
Gaffney is in the middle of nowhere. You could probably get a mansion there for $200k. That being said unless you really want to live out in the country it seems like a bad place to move, you'll be 30 minutes from anything worthwhile except the factory outlets (which aren't good anyway). If you can afford to spend $200k on a house you might want to look at the Greer area which is right next to Greenville and still can feel country-like while being much closer to everything and much nicer.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:29 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,962 times
I used to work in Gaffney - (apologize to the natives in advance, but...) I can't think any reasons why someone would move there (of course, unless it's high paying position - and then I'd live just over the state line in North Carolina) - trust me, move as close to Greenville as possible.

I agree with EC above, I-85 east of Spartanburg is awful - I can't understand why it's still only 2 lanes in 2014. There needs to be massive infrastructure overhaul on 85.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:39 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times
I thought Gaffney?? Why did you choose Gaffney?? Maybe location?? I have to agree with everyone else. I'd either move closer to Greenville or if you want to be close to Charlotte, stay in SC and go to Fort Mill, Tega Cay, clover, etc.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:39 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,229,164 times
Default Interstate 85 in Cherokee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
I agree with EC above, I-85 east of Spartanburg is awful - I can't understand why it's still only 2 lanes in 2014. There needs to be massive infrastructure overhaul on 85.
Widening Interstate 85 from Gossett Road (exit 80) in Spartanburg County to the North Carolina state line is a high priority. State Senator Harvey Peeler is a proponent of the idea.

Further reading:
Gulla, Tim. "I-85 widening in Cherokee County on list of priority projects." The Gaffney Ledger. 2013-07-26. Retrieved 2014-10-03. <http://www.gaffneyledger.com/news/2013-07-26/Local_News/I85_widening_in_Cherokee_County_on_list_of_priorit .html>

Old 10-03-2014, 08:21 AM

723 posts, read 1,149,191 times
Regarding taxes, South Carolina is generally regarded as having a favorable tax climate for retirees. For starters, South Carolina does not tax Social Security benefits or railroad retirement. Then, beginning with the first year you receive qualified retirement income and until you reach age 65, you can take a deduction of up to $3,00. You can take this deduction for income received from any qualified retirement plan. If both spouses receive retirement income, each spouse is entitled to a deduction. At age 65, all residents are eligible for a deduction of up to $15,00 from income, regardless of the source. A surviving spouse may continue to take a retirement deduction on behalf of a deceased spouse.

Property taxes for homeowners are generally low in South Carolina, as legal residences are exempt from the property tax that funds public school operations. Then, beginning at age 65, homeowners are exempt from property tax on the first $50,000 of the value of their legal residence, once they have applied for the Homestead Exemption at their local county offices. (FYI, I pay right around $500, with the Homestead Exemption, for a 1,350 sq. ft. home on a half-acre lot that has a market value of about $135K.)

Useful SC income tax publications:

"Moving to South Carolina: A Tax Guide for New Residents"
http://www.sctax.org/NR/rdonlyres/1A...1_01152014.pdf

"Information for Retirees and Seniors"
http://www.sctax.org/NR/rdonlyres/07...ND_SENIORS.pdf

Old 10-03-2014, 11:14 AM

104 posts, read 234,521 times
I just heard on the news yesterday about a proposed new nuclear plant in gaffney. That May or not bother you. I'm just providing the information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area