Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 06:32 PM

54 posts, read 69,850 times

Advertisements

A little about me and what I'm looking for in a place to live...

My wife and I originally emigrated from Long Island, NY to the Washington Metro area for employment and to raise a family, far away from the crime ridden and filthy New York area. That was 1977. Gaithersburg was a small town, known mostly for the "National Bureau of Standards" (NIST), and IBM. The major interstate into DC was 2 lanes each way, and there was some semblance of a rush hour. Now, the kids are grown and starting their own families. I'm 63, retired from IBM almost 2 years now and strongly considering relocating away from the East Coast, Gaithersburg, MD specifically, heading further inland and South to either Tennessee or South Carolina.

What I'm trying to get away from: The COLD, SNOW, Sanctuary Cities and Counties, increasing congestion, loss of rural / farm areas, large towns where people don't even look you in the eye anymore. I own an ocean front condominium in Ocean City, Maryland, but the three-hour hell-ride through or around Washington, DC to get there, and the throngs of tourists render it almost unusable. Out of control land development is rampant, just for the sake of increasing the tax base. Old farmers are dying and in their stead are signs that read "GRAND OPENING! THOUSANDS OF LUXURY TOWNHOMES" with undersized garages and inadequate parking as far as my aging eyes can see.

What I am trying to find: Warmth, in both climate and the people. Rule of Law, Small towns, where you recognize neighbors, and they talk to you. Water, lakes, fishing (sometimes), the right to not feel guilty about owning a gun and use it if need be to protect myself. Open roads.. I enjoy (quiet) motorcycling through the rural countryside, seeing barns, horses, cows, streams, located between old historic down-towns. NO major commercial corridors that will draw millions of new job seekers.

I don't care anymore about access to museums, theater, ballet, operas or orchestras.. or gyms. A reasonable drive to an airport would be nice, so I can threaten the kids with an occasional visit.

I'll probably add to this as I think of more. So tell me, do I have any hope of finding my refuge in South Carolina?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 07:07 PM

2,437 posts, read 2,838,519 times
Anderson, Pickens, or Oconee Counties could fit the bill, as well as parts of Spartanburg County if you want to be closer to the airport. Lots of friendly people everywhere here, and those areas are still rural.

Last edited by BigRedBeth; 12-03-2017 at 08:06 PM..

Old 12-03-2017, 07:40 PM

4,892 posts, read 7,380,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearchingForTheRightPlace View Post
A little about me and what I'm looking for in a place to live...

My wife and I originally emigrated from Long Island, NY to the Washington Metro area for employment and to raise a family, far away from the crime ridden and filthy New York area. That was 1977. Gaithersburg was a small town, known mostly for the "National Bureau of Standards" (NIST), and IBM. The major interstate into DC was 2 lanes each way, and there was some semblance of a rush hour. Now, the kids are grown and starting their own families. I'm 63, retired from IBM almost 2 years now and strongly considering relocating away from the East Coast, Gaithersburg, MD specifically, heading further inland and South to either Tennessee or South Carolina.

What I'm trying to get away from: The COLD, SNOW, Sanctuary Cities and Counties, increasing congestion, loss of rural / farm areas, large towns where people don't even look you in the eye anymore. I own an ocean front condominium in Ocean City, Maryland, but the three-hour hell-ride through or around Washington, DC to get there, and the throngs of tourists render it almost unusable. Out of control land development is rampant, just for the sake of increasing the tax base. Old farmers are dying and in their stead are signs that read "GRAND OPENING! THOUSANDS OF LUXURY TOWNHOMES" with undersized garages and inadequate parking as far as my aging eyes can see.

What I am trying to find: Warmth, in both climate and the people. Rule of Law, Small towns, where you recognize neighbors, and they talk to you. Water, lakes, fishing (sometimes), the right to not feel guilty about owning a gun and use it if need be to protect myself. Open roads.. I enjoy (quiet) motorcycling through the rural countryside, seeing barns, horses, cows, streams, located between old historic down-towns. NO major commercial corridors that will draw millions of new job seekers.

I don't care anymore about access to museums, theater, ballet, operas or orchestras.. or gyms. A reasonable drive to an airport would be nice, so I can threaten the kids with an occasional visit.

I'll probably add to this as I think of more. So tell me, do I have any hope of finding my refuge in South Carolina?
Wow. Can I relate! Both of us grew up in Chevy Chase, later lived off Jones Lane. Tried to escape to Purcellville but the lunacy followed. Husband retired and we got out as fast as possible.

We are now on the east side Spartanburg and love it. It doesn’t sound like you’d bringing liberal voting. I don’t want this ruined. $200k gets a 2500 sq ft rambler and lovely, lovely neighbors. Found a great conservative Bible Based church.

There’s a large state park with a lake and a gun club for $200/year.

You might like Greer, too. Cute little downtown.

Just bring southern manners and conservative attitude and I think you’d be welcome.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:43 PM

You lived off Jones Lane? I'm (still living) on Triple Crown Road. :-(
Peter

Old 12-03-2017, 07:53 PM

4,892 posts, read 7,380,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearchingForTheRightPlace View Post
You lived off Jones Lane? I'm (still living) on Triple Crown Road. :-(
Peter
Yes. Lloydminster. Then 17 years in Purcellville but the developement and nouveau riche followed. Husband retired and we said “outa there”. We do have SC connections so I think that’s helped. But our neighbors have been delightful.

We didn’t want rural but there are great areas/small towns in Spartanburg, look out by Lake Bowen and Boiling Springs. And never say “up north we . . .” Because they do it way better here.

Also, check Traveler’s Rest and anything out towards Clemson, Anderson etc.

We love it. (But don’t tell too many Montgomery County people — you know they’d ruin it and I’d hate to see that.

Last edited by LynchburgLover; 12-03-2017 at 08:11 PM..

Old 12-03-2017, 07:57 PM

1,016 posts, read 304,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Anderson, Pickesn, or Oconee Counties could fit the bill, as well as parts of Spartanburg County if you want to be closer to the airport. Lots of friendly people everywhere here, and those areas are still rural.
I second that!

Old 12-03-2017, 09:49 PM

Thank you all. I've already met nice people in SC :-) And don't worry - I will leave no bread crumb trail. Let them keep "fixing" Montgomery County to make it better in their eyes.
Peter

Old 12-04-2017, 04:26 AM

5,120 posts, read 7,242,601 times
You could also consider areas such as Hendersonville, NC or Rutherford County or Shelby which are closer to Charlotte. And if it weren't for the colder weather, I would suggest moving further into western Maryland such as Frederick, or perhaps Leesburg, Virginia or out to West Virginia. Or maybe Manassas. These areas are more rural and less congested than closer to DC or Baltimore. And for my own interests, most of the Roy Rogers are in these areas.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:08 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,026,274 times
North of Spartanburg is Inman, Campobello and Landrum... Then a little north of Greenville are Tigerville and Marietta, and Travelers Rest.

All are small, friendly towns with nice rolling hills at the foot of the mountains.. Landrum and Travelers Rest IMHO are especially nice with 'quaint' little downtowns.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:53 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,255,264 times
Sounds like you'd be happy in small, rural Appalachia. The NE corner of Georgia, far Western NC, East TN, SW corner of Virginia, West Virginia, etc. With the Upstate of SC you'd want to be in Pickens or Oconee counties (or far northern Greenville or Spartanburg Counties) to avoid the rampant development going on in the rest of the Upstate. The area around Greenville has been "discovered" and is seeing a lot of growth in the last 10-20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area