Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 10:32 AM

132 posts, read 114,283 times

Advertisements

So we are planning a move in August to the Greenville area. We are in our early 40’s and our then 20 almost 21 yr old son will be coming with us. He has expressed that he’d prefer to move closer to the beach, but he understands it’s not really his decision since he is moving with us.

Should I be worried that he will be bored? What do single 20 something’s do? Once he finds work I’m sure he’ll make friends. We love Greenville, but he’s never been so he’s coming in blind. We know people that are moving to Summerville and I’m sure he’ll be visiting them and their son once in a while to get a beach fix.

Any beaches by the area lakes that might interest him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 10:48 AM

12,638 posts, read 32,126,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe33075 View Post
So we are planning a move in August to the Greenville area. We are in our early 40’s and our then 20 almost 21 yr old son will be coming with us. He has expressed that he’d prefer to move closer to the beach, but he understands it’s not really his decision since he is moving with us.

Should I be worried that he will be bored? What do single 20 something’s do? Once he finds work I’m sure he’ll make friends. We love Greenville, but he’s never been so he’s coming in blind. We know people that are moving to Summerville and I’m sure he’ll be visiting them and their son once in a while to get a beach fix.

I know I am guilty of this too but we need to understand that the kids are adults now. You need to move where you like it. If he doesn't like it, he can move.

That being said, we moved to Greenville four years ago and my kids were in their early 20's to mid 20's. Although we like Greenville, they don't. It's been very hard for them to meet friends and they are bored. My daughter has kids now and met her fiance here so she's settled in somewhat. My son, otoh, has moved to Asheville, NC and loves it. He's only been there about 3 months, met friends and is never bored. He's into the music scene and Asheville is full of that.

As for your son, what is he into? There's Lake Keowee near Clemson which is a college town. Where are you guys coming from?

Old 01-13-2018, 11:19 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,434,530 times
Quote:

There are beaches at Lake Hartwell in Clemson. One is near the university rowing boathouse. Another is at the Snow Family Outdoor Fitness and Wellness Center, also known as Y Beach. https://www.clemson.edu/campus-life/...ke/center.html

Another lake beach in the Clemson area is Twelve Mile Recreation Area which is managed by the US Army Corps of Engineers. http://visitclemson.com/attractions/...creation-area/

What kind of interests / hobbies does your son have?

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-13-2018 at 11:32 AM..

Old 01-13-2018, 11:39 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,619,767 times
why are you worried that your adult child will be "bored"? let him move to the beach! more space for you!
I have 3 older children - if one of them stated to me they were "bored", I would roll my eyes, shake my head, and just walk away - I am not their event planner/activity coordinator
the Upstate is filled with indoor/outdoor recreation

Old 01-13-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I know I am guilty of this too but we need to understand that the kids are adults now. You need to move where you like it. If he doesn't like it, he can move.

That being said, we moved to Greenville four years ago and my kids were in their early 20's to mid 20's. Although we like Greenville, they don't. It's been very hard for them to meet friends and they are bored. My daughter has kids now and met her fiance here so she's settled in somewhat. My son, otoh, has moved to Asheville, NC and loves it. He's only been there about 3 months, met friends and is never bored. He's into the music scene and Asheville is full of that.

As for your son, what is he into? There's Lake Keowee near Clemson which is a college town. Where are you guys coming from?
My son is pretty easy going and acclimated pretty easy. We moved him to a private boarding school 8th-12th grade and most of those kids live all over the country and they have not stayed in touch. Once he went to school, he lost touch with his childhood friends. Then he went to college and found a good core group of guys, but found that college just wasn’t for him. Now he’s home. Has no friends. He does hang out with his cousin once in a while. Now we are moving. He can’t just move out on his own as he is just starting out in life.

I was just wondering what there is for someone his age to do. I don’t even know where we will end up. We will be renting in Greenville area , but who knows once we get down and check out other areas. Love Greenville, but never been to Charleston or Columbia. Love Asheville too, but not for me to live.

We are moving from NY about 60 miles north of NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
There are beaches at Lake Hartwell in Clemson. One is near the university rowing boathouse. Another is at the Snow Family Outdoor Fitness and Wellness Center, also known as Y Beach. https://www.clemson.edu/campus-life/...ke/center.html

Another lake beach in the Clemson area is Twelve Mile Recreation Area which is managed by the US Army Corps of Engineers. Twelve Mile Recreation Area – VISIT CLEMSON

What kind of interests / hobbies does your son have?
ClemVegas, he doesn’t have any true interest. He used to ski when he was in HS, but now doesn’t have anyone to go with. He’s a pretty easy going guy. I’m hoping he can find work. He wants to be a police officer. Like most kids his age, he likes to play some video games and just going out on the town with friends. That’s what he did when he was at school. Now he’s just home. Works for a landscaper, but that doesn’t start he until March. Thanks for the beach locations. Not really sure what his thing is with the beach, we have never been beach people. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
why are you worried that your adult child will be "bored"? let him move to the beach! more space for you!
I have 3 older children - if one of them stated to me they were "bored", I would roll my eyes, shake my head, and just walk away - I am not their event planner/activity coordinator
the Upstate is filled with indoor/outdoor recreation
Lol drfranklin. I’d do the same to him if he really came out and said it. I already told him he can move wherever he wants when he has a job and can afford his own way. I’m sure he will be fine, but as a mom I worry. I want everyone to be happy. We initially wanted to look for property on one of the upstate lakes, but as in most lake communities, the property is small. We need some acreage with no restrictions as we have classic cars and need to be able to build a large garage.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:43 PM

6,640 posts, read 4,341,899 times
Quote:

He can drive up to Asheville on the weekend. It has a young vibe..

Old 01-13-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
He can drive up to Asheville on the weekend. It has a young vibe..
Lol. I didn’t even think of that. He’s ready to leave NY and happy that we will be near a city. Right. Ow we rarely ever go into MYC.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:17 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,434,530 times
That's kind of a strange comment given Asheville is known as a retirement city.

The median age in Greenville is 34.1. In Asheville the median age is 38.2 which is above the US average.

In my view, there is no reason a young person living in Greenville needs to drive to Asheville. Greenville is a larger metro and it has more than Asheville.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:32 PM

20,192 posts, read 9,104,849 times
He'll have a hard time finding a decent police job with no college. Find him a girl.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:38 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,882,018 times
We moved here when we son was alnost 21; he has not made friends and is constantly bored as well. He doesn't drink and is nor particularly into music. He misses his Raleigh friends. Maybe my son can meet your son, LOL! Several of my friends/acquaintances have children about the same age but they moved away.
There are several meetup groups for that age group and I finally convinced me son to join one. I recommend your son do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area