Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support Greenville County breaking up into two school districts?
Yes, it's too big to only have 1 school district 18 40.00%
No, it's fine. Leave it the way that it is. 27 60.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 08:27 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,096,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatp View Post
If you're breaking it into two, why not even more. What happens at WHHS isn't the same at TR. Why should kids at WHHS not have to go to school when it's just TR?
They're 9.9 miles from one another.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Trav...8!2d34.8859564

Woodmont High School and Blue Ridge High School are 32.7 miles apart.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Blue...8!2d34.6886344

I know you're trying to be cute but the two examples are not even close to apples to apples, they're apples to cruise ships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 09:41 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,232,811 times
Quote:
That's my point. On this thread it is suggested that they draw the line at 85, but that still doesn't resolve the problem of TR having weather issues and WHHS/EHS not having those issues and still being closed because they are still in the district with TR.
It will take more than an interstate highway to divide Greenville County Schools into two or more districts. I would like to see a map of Greenville County Schools' geocodes by high schools. High schools could help determine the number of new districts and the territories of those new districts. Some districts may have two or more high schools.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:09 AM

843 posts, read 1,431,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post

I know you're trying to be cute but the two examples are not even close to apples to apples, they're apples to cruise ships.
The fact still remains that the weather at TR or Blue Ridge can be much different than WHHS or Eastside. You're still stuck with the same problem you're complaining about now with wasted days off.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:57 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,096,922 times
Quote:
The fact still remains that the weather at TR or Blue Ridge can be much different than WHHS or Eastside. You're still stuck with the same problem you're complaining about now with wasted days off.
"much different" between 9 miles? No, you're being hyperbolic. But when it's snowing and 38 at Tigerville Elementary and 58 and sunny at Fork Shoals Elementary, but they have to stay home because of what's taking place meteorologically 38.9 miles away, then we have a problem. To deny so is to ignore the obvious.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Fork...4!2d35.0740699

Old 03-05-2018, 12:04 PM

826 posts, read 1,125,495 times
Quote:
"much different" between 9 miles? No, you're being hyperbolic. But when it's snowing and 38 at Tigerville Elementary and 58 and sunny at Fork Shoals Elementary, but they have to stay home because of what's taking place meteorologically 38.9 miles away, then we have a problem. To deny so is to ignore the obvious.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Fork...4!2d35.0740699

Actually given that freeze line generally moves right through the county a few miles can make a substantial difference in the road conditions. WH and TR is just a bad example as they are both generally on the same side of the freeze line. I've witnessed this more than once going from Five Forks to Taylors (< 10 miles).

But back to discussion as a whole, a few things that make redistricting a bad idea IMO:

1. GCS doesn't zone its schools based on a feeder system. Its based on trying balance capacities at schools. So its not easy as splitting based on High school zoning. I could easily see a redistricting result in some schools being pushed above capacity, while leaving some schools under capacity.

2. Increased overhead through the introduction of a lot of redundancies. More than just admin staffs, think IT resources, specialized maintenance resources, special ed etc.

3. I could easily see redistricting going from a geographic issue, to a money issue, with wealthier pockets of the county try to form districts while excluding poorer sections. This will hurt the poor families a lot more than a few snow days. The prospect gets even more scary if you factor in the bond repayments from the BEST program. You could potentially end up with a private entity owning some of the school buildings if a district is unable to make its bond payments.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:17 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,047 times
Most of the "problem" could be solved by identifying "snow routes" for busses and then using the "snow routes" in specific areas on days when there is a bit or residual ice and/or snow.

Creating a separate district with all of the associated overhead to remedy the inconvenience caused by 3-4 snow days per year would be a colossal waste of resources. As has been pointed out by others, the rain/snow line frequently shifts north or south by a few miles so creating 2 districts might not even address the issue.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:26 PM

843 posts, read 1,431,557 times
Quote:

And technically they're only about 25 miles apart because weather doesn't drive.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:20 PM

632 posts, read 748,239 times
To paraphrase Winston Churchill's response to Lady Aster. "And I, madame, would drink it". SMH

Old 05-13-2018, 04:39 AM

927 posts, read 585,951 times
Quote:
I've been thinking about this for a while and after the snowfall 2 weeks ago, I decided to create this thread. I believe, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, that Greenville County is the largest county in the state size wise, and I think the most populous, if not second most populous. It stretches to the north to the NC border and south to almost Laurens; the topography and even climate are different. I live up in the Blue Ridge side of Greer near BR High School and my dad lives in Simpsonville off of W. Georgia road. When we get snow, he doesn't. When it's 96 degrees there in July, it's 92 by me. In other words, the county is huge and very diverse, yet for some reason we only have one school district in the entire county. When it snows by us, all of the schools in the county close down, even if there is literally not a drop of snow on the ground in the southern part of the county. The kids in south Greenville county suffer for what happened in the northern part of the county.

So my proposal is a very simple one, break up the county into two school districts, Greenville County North School District and Greenville County South School District and let 85 be the dividing line between the two. On a side note, Spartanburg County, which is smaller in both size and population than Greenville County has 7, yes, 7 distinct school districts.

https://www.spartanburgcounty.org/409/School-Districts

https://www.worldatlas.com/na/us/sc/...-carolina.html
Doing a street view tour of Greenville NC it's a HUGE area with a lot of differences for one county. People are too lazy these days to get a good comprehension so will ignore most of your links plus most folks are on phones so it's a lot harder to see on a tiny screen and whatever they call a "keyboard".

Old 05-13-2018, 08:08 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,873,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanRabbi View Post
Doing a street view tour of Greenville NC it's a HUGE area with a lot of differences for one county. People are too lazy these days to get a good comprehension so will ignore most of your links plus most folks are on phones so it's a lot harder to see on a tiny screen and whatever they call a "keyboard".

But this isn't NC, is SC, so.....Live long and prosper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area