Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 11:45 AM

17,562 posts, read 15,220,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmike View Post
Yep sorry about that. Can't go back and edit now.

Eh.. If there's a 50/50 way of looking at things.. I'll look at it the wrong way 100% of the time.

I pulled up the pricing.. Quite good. I just looked at a Vegas flight for mid-october.. Out on Wednesday, back on Saturday.. $64 out, $109 back.

Now.. Factor in Frontier's "A La Carte" pricing stuff.. $25 for a bag ($30 for a carry on, so makes more sense to check, pricewise) $3 for choosing a seat vs being assigned one, assuming you're traveling with someone and want to sit with them.. Probably puts it at a more realistic $200 per ticket. But, still.. I mean, I'm flying ATL to LAS in October and it was about $250 per ticket on Southwest roundtrip.

Wonder if Southwest has adjusted pricing at all.. Because flying from GSP was a good deal higher.. Of course, i'm traveling with people from Alabama, so, ATL was the 'middle ground' for meeting.

Same days.. Southwest wants $386 at the lowest.

Legacy carriers around $382 or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 11:47 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,774,241 times
Well, I booked a flight to Las Vegas on the very first flight out so I am doing my part.

Funny how much more fanfare and celebration there was when Southwest announced coming to GSP over this yet Frontier is doing the exact same thing if not more. Lol. Go figure.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:21 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,043,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedlogic View Post
Yeah, this is fantastic! I am a little surprised at the Florida flights as GSP already had so many Florida routes and it is driveable to begin with. I'm not sure about the departure time for Vegas, does not seem ideal. And I do hope there are some good one stops through Denver, to CA for example, that will be important for making this work. If our community will support this, I think it could be wonderful. If Frontier follows thier normal MO, good participation will lead to an expansion in service pretty quickly. They have added to CHS a couple of times already, and have exploded at RDU, now serving 27 nonstop destinations from that airport. This is great news though, and sorely needed.
It is great they are flying out of GSP but I thought about the same thing. Allegiant already services 3-4 cities in FL. It would be nice if they would add some flights up north, say to Philly. We use Frontier but have to fly out of Charlotte.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:59 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,440,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Funny how much more fanfare and celebration there was when Southwest announced coming to GSP over this yet Frontier is doing the exact same thing if not more. Lol. Go figure.
Because Southwest is a much more established airline, close to a legacy carrier, with a much better reputation, service, larger fleet network, and very transperent fees. I’d much rather more SW flights than Frontier, though its good GSP is being opened to the west regardless.

Plus they offered more back when in announced in 2010 than Frontier did today so I’d say it was warranted. Only real difference is Vegas.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:27 PM

513 posts, read 575,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Eh.. If there's a 50/50 way of looking at things.. I'll look at it the wrong way 100% of the time.

I pulled up the pricing.. Quite good. I just looked at a Vegas flight for mid-october.. Out on Wednesday, back on Saturday.. $64 out, $109 back.

Now.. Factor in Frontier's "A La Carte" pricing stuff.. $25 for a bag ($30 for a carry on, so makes more sense to check, pricewise) $3 for choosing a seat vs being assigned one, assuming you're traveling with someone and want to sit with them.. Probably puts it at a more realistic $200 per ticket. But, still.. I mean, I'm flying ATL to LAS in October and it was about $250 per ticket on Southwest roundtrip.

Wonder if Southwest has adjusted pricing at all.. Because flying from GSP was a good deal higher.. Of course, i'm traveling with people from Alabama, so, ATL was the 'middle ground' for meeting.

Same days.. Southwest wants $386 at the lowest.

Legacy carriers around $382 or so.
If you sign up for their emails you'll find they are constantly sending out sales and special fares. Everyweek i get notices for 25% or 50% off certain routes, and they are always offering "buy between these dates, fly between these" specials for between $19 and $39 or $49. each way. If you have any flexibility there are great deals to be found. Like others, though, I hope the times will be useable for a lot of people.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:01 PM

143 posts, read 217,957 times
Not feeling the love with this airline. If I fly the family to Orlando I loose the first day since we don’t get into MCO until 5:05 PM which means you are not going to be at your park of choice until around 7 PM. You can stay 3 nights or 7 nights coming home on Saturday or Wednesday. If you wanted to fly down for one of the bowl games you are out of luck.
Initial price of $86.90 RT looks good but the if you wish to pick your own seat and carry a bag as well as check a bag they hit you for another $60-$80 per per person depending on the perks package you choose. I am wondering if they have pay toilets as well
I will probably stick with an airline that gives me more choices. You get what you pay for.

JMHO

Old 06-19-2018, 02:32 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,774,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandBroker48 View Post
Not feeling the love with this airline. If I fly the family to Orlando I loose the first day since we don’t get into MCO until 5:05 PM which means you are not going to be at your park of choice until around 7 PM. You can stay 3 nights or 7 nights coming home on Saturday or Wednesday. If you wanted to fly down for one of the bowl games you are out of luck.
Initial price of $86.90 RT looks good but the if you wish to pick your own seat and carry a bag as well as check a bag they hit you for another $60-$80 per per person depending on the perks package you choose. I am wondering if they have pay toilets as well
I will probably stick with an airline that gives me more choices. You get what you pay for.

JMHO
Even with the perks that cost extra, it’s still cheaper than the other carriers. And they must be doing something right as they continue to expand rapidly.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:43 PM

513 posts, read 575,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Even with the perks that cost extra, it’s still cheaper than the other carriers. And they must be doing something right as they continue to expand rapidly.
Not only that but the passenger controls a lot of the perk cost, and you have to pay for checked bags everywhere but SW now and you still get a free small personal bag or item with Frontier. Despite that, I am flying nonstop from ATL to CA this summer and got four tickets for $800 total, luggage and all. From GSP on a legacy carrier it would have been $2200 with a layover, and an ovvernight for one stop. I'll tke $800 everytime!
The biggest limitation right now will be the scedule of flights, but if they do well the offerings will increase.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:47 PM

8,219 posts, read 13,335,971 times
WOW.. this is huge for Gville and SC in general.. A direct flight to Vegas...cool. I am not big on Vegas.. but know a lot of people who are..so... get your Hangover parties ready... Bachelors and Bachelorettes

Old 06-19-2018, 02:50 PM

8,219 posts, read 13,335,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Airbus A320

Is or will this be the largest aircraft serving GSP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area