Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2019, 12:43 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,362,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAndersonCo View Post
Checkers does need to get it going if it wants to have stores in the fast growing upstate market but would it be good to have Checkers here. Also, I am surprised Greenville, Spartanburg, and Anderson don't have a Krystal yet.

I find it humourous that Gaffney seems to have a lot of fast food that the rest of the upstate doesn't have yet like Popeyes and Krystal (I do know that Popeyes is being built in Powdersville and Greer). Maybe it is Gaffneys proximity to Charlotte or something?
The previously announced return of Checkers to the Upstate has indeed not yet transpired. Not sure what the holdup is, but this time they will face major competition from Cook-Out which was not here before. I was disappointed when Checkers closed down previously, but I do not recall if it was a franchise issue or a corporate decision. I hope they return sooner than later, and perhaps add indoor dining.

And Popeyes and Krystal have emerged first in Cherokee County indeed. But Popeyes has added Boiling Springs and will soon open locations in Greer and Powdersville. Hopefully Krystal will eventually return to Greenville or Anderson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 12:57 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,362,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Krystal was not serious about participating in Greenville. If it wants to take growth seriously, it will need to be proactive in planning, execution, and operation.
Krystal has a sporadic history in Greenville County, as they have had various locations open and close for years. Originally there was an old location on Pleasantburg across from Bob Jones. And later 2 locations were cobranded with Spinx stores near Cherrydale and Travelers Rest. And most recently, a location operated across from Costco on Woodruff Rd. They have had difficulty maintaining long term success. Perhaps a 24 hour location near I-85, downtown nightspots, or a college or university would draw more consistent business. Nearest Krystal locations remain in Blacksburg, SC near Gaffney and Commerce, GA. And multiple locations around Atlanta, Georgia, as well as the I-95 travel corridor in SC. Similar competitor White Castle does not enter the Southeast other than limited areas of Kentucky and Tennessee where both chains briefly overlap.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:26 PM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Krystal has a sporadic history in Greenville County, as they have had various locations open and close for years. Originally there was an old location on Pleasantburg across from Bob Jones. And later 2 locations were cobranded with Spinx stores near Cherrydale and Travelers Rest. And most recently, a location operated across from Costco on Woodruff Rd. They have had difficulty maintaining long term success. Perhaps a 24 hour location near I-85, downtown nightspots, or a college or university would draw more consistent business. Nearest Krystal locations remain in Blacksburg, SC near Gaffney and Commerce, GA. And multiple locations around Atlanta, Georgia, as well as the I-95 travel corridor in SC. Similar competitor White Castle does not enter the Southeast other than limited areas of Kentucky and Tennessee where both chains briefly overlap.

I just don't get Krystal or White Castle. I'm surprised that they succeed anywhere, short of college campuses.

I will say that their Woodruff Rd location was not ideal. But.. having a single location on Woodruff Rd isn't exactly ideal for anyone I don't think.

This got me thinking.. I just had to look up the Golden Chick on Pelham.. I am astounded that place is still open. Anyone know how the Spartanburg or Easley locations are doing?

I really like the place, think the food is really good.. But I never see that place busy at all.. And the Greenwood and Pleasantburg locations didn't last long at all.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:33 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,020,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I just don't get Krystal or White Castle. I'm surprised that they succeed anywhere, short of college campuses.

I will say that their Woodruff Rd location was not ideal. But.. having a single location on Woodruff Rd isn't exactly ideal for anyone I don't think.

This got me thinking.. I just had to look up the Golden Chick on Pelham.. I am astounded that place is still open. Anyone know how the Spartanburg or Easley locations are doing?

I really like the place, think the food is really good.. But I never see that place busy at all.. And the Greenwood and Pleasantburg locations didn't last long at all.

I thought the Krystal on Woodruff was one of the easier places to get out of with access to the light in front of Costco. It was so dark in the parking lot it always looked like it was closed to me after they removed the sonic style canopies/ordering that they were testing when first opened.

I remember when Krystal was originally on Pleasantburg near Bob Jones and on White Horse Rd.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:36 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times
Krystal's wasn't good to me. We have much better burgers in Greenville than that. I thought they were closed before they actually did close. The lights were always off in the parking lot even when it was open and the sign wasn't illuminated.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:40 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,759,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Krystal's wasn't good to me. We have much better burgers in Greenville than that. I thought they were closed before they actually did close. The lights were always off in the parking lot even when it was open and the sign wasn't illuminated.
I used to like Krystal on Pleasantburg back in the day(40 years ago). You know, back in the party days, if you know what I mean. We used to live in that place after midnight, after leaving the old Amvets Club. Anyone remember the Amvets Club? The Warehouse? O'Sullivans? Tramps Disco? I was so excited when Krystal came back to Greenville a few years ago. I ate there the first week it opened. It was nasty. I guess I had to have a few in me to stomach those nasty little sandwiches. Was that real meat between those buns? Oh the memories!

Old 03-18-2019, 04:05 PM

5,675 posts, read 5,885,028 times
What year did the Krystal in Mauldin close?

Old 03-18-2019, 04:39 PM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
What year did the Krystal in Mauldin close?

I can tell you it opened July 16, 1977.. And was at 504 N Main St.

White Horse opened May 28, 1977.

Check out the prices.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/29662755/

Anyway.. by 1987 that address was Century's Bargain Center. I presume this is the building?

The property was sold from Krystal to W.B. McDannald and Michael Long on July 8, 1986.. So.. Seems between 1979 and 1986 is the best answer I can give.

It is, and has been since 1995, owned by a William N Gressette, Jr

I also found some ads for Krystal Fried Chicken.. I'm not familiar with that one.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:02 PM

181 posts, read 133,033 times
Hey, does anyone remember the proposed lifestyle center in Anderson (it was proposed back in 2007 to be on a lot called the Sally Rose estate near exit 19A)? It was supposed to be on around 60 acres, have about 500,000 sqft, and cost about $50 million!

I don't think it has been active (might have been cancelled) but their is a possibility that it is coming back. It is currently for sale at $11,000,000 at this link: https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/4629...n-SC/13208483/!

I talked to the realtor for it and he didn't tell me much other than the fact that it might be possibly reemerging with different people in talks of buying the property to put the lifestyle center on it possibly. I find this as a cool emerging possibility.

Oh, and here is a photo of the plans as they were in 2007:

And here is a photo of the land undeveloped, from above:

Old 03-18-2019, 06:10 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,020,781 times
I remember something about Dillard's possibly anchoring a lifestyle center somewhere on Clemson Blvd but they ended up building at Anderson Mall. Not sure if it's this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area