Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2020, 07:30 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,210,414 times

Advertisements

I suspect you are right VT.Boy that Welcome store made a splash back in the day.Wasn’t it the largest grocery store in the US when it opened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2020, 07:36 PM

Part of my commentary about those Bilo locations was about them recently being owned by Phillips Edison and Co. when PECO decided to position themselves as strictly class A real estate those two Bilo locations were about the first to be dropped. They seemed to not be able to get rid of them fast enough.

Old 08-09-2020, 07:36 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
I suspect you are right VT.Boy that Welcome store made a splash back in the day.Wasn’t it the largest grocery store in the US when it opened?
Yes. Worked with a guy who worked there as a teen It had a big pineapple logo on the front. Not sure how I remember that.

Oddly enough I don't believe Greenville ever had an actual Kroger store. I think those two in Anderson were the only two in upstate. Of course Harris Teeter is owned by the Kroger Corp now.

Old 08-09-2020, 07:43 PM

I think the S Pleasantburg area has further deteriorated, and was not good 30 years ago, so that location will be climate controlled storage or simulator.I used to judge areas by the degree asphalt parking spaces were degraded by cars leaking transmission fluid!

Old 08-09-2020, 07:55 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Quote:
I think the S Pleasantburg area has further deteriorated, and was not good 30 years ago, so that location will be climate controlled storage or simulator.I used to judge areas by the degree asphalt parking spaces were degraded by cars leaking transmission fluid!
Agree I think they probably had some theft issues. I believe the Bloom/Food Lion location across the street did too. Food Lion had a security guard at the door towards the end. I noticed even the Gold's Gym in the old Bloom/Food Lion building did not last long.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:26 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Going way back on this one, but CK will correct my errors������ The old Vaughan’s at EN Bilo, as well as the S. Pleasantburg store, along with the Anderson Mall locations were built in about 1980 as the first Kroger’s stores in this area. The had attached liquor stores, which was unheard of in the south east. In today’s world a vacant 40 yo grocery store is worth less than vacant real estate since it must be torn down. In Mauldin a barely 10 yo vacant Winn Dixie was razed to make way for Publix.The existing boxes will not return to grocery stores.
BI-LO stores 5092 (Vaughn's at East North, East North Street) and 5563 (South Pleasantburg Drive) were initially A&P's Family Mart/Sav-A-Center stores.

Kroger entered Greenville with Welcome in 1987. Whether Kroger had Kroger stores planned across Greenville County is something I do not know.

Mauldin has seen two Winn-Dixie stores: 1020 (1971 - 1993) and 1051 (1993 - 2000). Publix #1012 opened in 2004.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Yes. Worked with a guy who worked there as a teen It had a big pineapple logo on the front. Not sure how I remember that.

Oddly enough I don't believe Greenville ever had an actual Kroger store. I think those two in Anderson were the only two in upstate. Of course Harris Teeter is owned by the Kroger Corp now.
I think Kroger would have been better off expanding the Kroger banner or acquiring a then-present competitor rather than concentrating on Welcome.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Agree I think they probably had some theft issues. I believe the Bloom/Food Lion location across the street did too. Food Lion had a security guard at the door towards the end. I noticed even the Gold's Gym in the old Bloom/Food Lion building did not last long.
Food Lion #2207 was a failure. Its issues were more than theft (i.e. pre-existing Food Lion issues and failures).

Old 08-10-2020, 10:17 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Food Lion #2207 was a failure. Its issues were more than theft (i.e. pre-existing Food Lion issues and failures).

I've said it before.. A GOOD supermarket is kinda needed around the area of Donaldson Center. You have that Aldi up there at the Mauldin and Pleasantburg area and the old, no longer Disco Ingles down in Moonville and that's about it.

I think we've talked a bit before that we're kinda surprised that Ingles hasn't rebuilt the Moonville store yet. That has to be one of the oldest, if not THE oldest, store in their system. They did a refresh on it about 3 years ago, replacing the exterior. Which.. I think was somewhat just lipstick on a pig.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I've said it before.. A GOOD supermarket is kinda needed around the area of Donaldson Center. You have that Aldi up there at the Mauldin and Pleasantburg area and the old, no longer Disco Ingles down in Moonville and that's about it.

I think we've talked a bit before that we're kinda surprised that Ingles hasn't rebuilt the Moonville store yet. That has to be one of the oldest, if not THE oldest, store in their system. They did a refresh on it about 3 years ago, replacing the exterior. Which.. I think was somewhat just lipstick on a pig.
ALDI, a limited assortment/discount food store, is good for grocery items. It is limited beyond that.

Ingle's #29 is one of four stores in Greenville County Ingle's Markets has to overhaul through expansion/rebuild/replacement. When its replacement store depends how quickly Ingle's Markets wants to dig into market share vacated by BI-LO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area