Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2020, 04:35 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,016,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Sky City and Bi-Lo really went together back in the day. Abbeville had Sky City with Ingles.. But Bi-Lo had RDR (A name from the past that I had forgotten all about) with them.

But, i can imagine the Bi-Lo there in Mauldin being one of them with the cows on the roof.
RDR -Revco Drug Store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2020, 05:59 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,877,474 times
In Fountain Inn there was a BiLo, Revco and Sky City. Laurens had Sky City, Revco and Ingles.

Old 09-03-2020, 06:50 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Y'all are old lol.

(I, too, remember RevCo and Sky City in my hometown in the same strip mall as a kid).

Old 09-03-2020, 09:00 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
In Fountain Inn there was a BiLo, Revco and Sky City. Laurens had Sky City, Revco and Ingles.

And Clinton had the TG&Y.. Had the sign longer than the store there at Copeland Plaza. That sign stayed up until they demolished the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
RDR -Revco Drug Store?

It wasn't a drug store.. Now, this place closed down I'd say by 1980 or so.. I was 7, so.. Can't tell you alot about it, but i recall it being a competitor to Sky City, etc.

The only place I can find a mention of it in papers is a 1977 article that just mentions RDR Plaza in Abbeville. Right next to an advertisement for a meeting of the Klan in Greenwood.. JEEEESUS! Are you effing kidding me? Thanks for that, vistatiger. Damn. I had to go looking, didn't I? Seriously.. Look at this crap.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/58616758/

I mean.. I know that crap happened around here.. Just look at that looney from Laurens that ran the Redneck Shop for years.. But still.. It's a cold slap across the face when you see something like that. A freaking ad in the paper!

But.. back on point.. Expanding the search a bit.. There's an ad for help wanted at "RDR Discount City" in Simpsonville at the "Simpsonville Shopping Mall" from 1978. by 1980, this was apparently called "Simpsonville Plaza".. Is that the one with the Big Lots? I'm guessing this is the same thing, and we just called it "RDR"

An ad for an auction at an RDR in Walhalla from 1979

And, the ad for Simpsonville.. Just noticed this.. Apply in person, and see Mr Mooney. That's fitting, this whole post is seeming like something out of a really crazy Lucy episode.

Old 09-03-2020, 09:51 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,098,854 times
Vacant lot next to the most disgusting Chinese buffet in the world (I know, kinda redundant) off of Wade Hampton/14 has a "sold" sign on it. Anyone have the scoop?

Old 09-03-2020, 10:28 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,245,104 times
Quote:
Thanks. I figured it was Sky City and Bi-Lo. Greenwood had same setup with Bi-Lo and Sky City in same plaza in 70's.

I do remember the Big Lots in the old Ingles next to the current Ingles before they moved it to Simpsonville. I think it is a thrift store now.
The present Ingle's #42 was built on a site that was previously Lowe's. The first Ingle's #42 has transited to Big Lots and Miracle Hill Thrift Store. Ingle's #42 is up for expansion/rebuild/remodel.

Old 09-04-2020, 04:11 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,049,508 times
Quote:
Thanks. I figured it was Sky City and Bi-Lo. Greenwood had same setup with Bi-Lo and Sky City in same plaza in 70's.

I do remember the Big Lots in the old Ingles next to the current Ingles before they moved it to Simpsonville. I think it is a thrift store now.
I recall Family Dollar being in the mix of stores those shopping centers featured. In 1988 I was heading south on 17A outside of Summerville, and passed a Bi -Lo shopping center that featured a Sky City, Family Dollar and drug store. It was nearly identical to the Bi-Lo shopping off Reidville Circle in Spartanburg.

Old 09-04-2020, 07:53 AM

3 posts, read 3,361 times
Default New York Butcher Shoppe

The Augusta Street New York Butcher Shoppe is moving into the much larger unit (formerly 4Rooms) in the Augusta Commons shopping center.

Old 09-05-2020, 06:34 PM

39 posts, read 73,066 times
What is going into the old Joe’s Crab Shack off Pelham Rd.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:30 PM

103 posts, read 129,066 times
Anyone know what is being built at the corner of Hwy 101 and Milford Church Rd. in Greer? The lot right behind the convenience store is being graded. Looks almost like a Dollar General (?) but there is one 2 miles away on Locust Hill Rd, so I can't see them putting another so close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area