Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 02:48 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,650,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
That is a description I've never seen applied to New Jersey. That must have been back in the 60s - the 1760s.
Much of the residential growth that took place in Monmouth, Ocean, Hunterdon, and Somerset Counties took place in the 1970s-1990s. When compared to many areas in Brooklyn, NJ's people were considered friendly, and there was room to stretch.

NJ taxes were lower than comparable areas on Long Island (and probably still are).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge1 View Post
Context of time is required to understand the past growth of this area.
Your edifying post did shine much needed light on my ignorance.

The wish for "wide center medians," points more towards the future, than it does the past. There are new developments that don't incorporate turning lanes, when they could have.

I say this not to complain, yet with the absence of road improvements, I can't help but wonder: "what's this area going to look like with a major addition to the local population?"

Quote:
I'm old enough now that I'll probably be gone before too much irreparable damage can be inflicted
This is the only part about your post that I disagree with. With respect, I bear witness to the 180 turn the Charlotte region has taken in a short ten year period, as there are many natives who would posit: "...what good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul?"

Given all that you've written however, perhaps my zeal is misplaced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 03:04 PM

632 posts, read 748,567 times
NDL
As an avid people watcher I will have to give credit where credit is due. There is a segment of our newcomers who have honestly attempted to adopt, or perhaps adapt, the local culture into their own daily existence. I'm not sure they fully grok what it means, but they like it enough to try. These tend to have an easier time assimilating than others.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:12 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
We have a similar situation in Charleston but without the wide expanses of land to handle the growth. To keep growing we are going to have to annex Columbia soon.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:21 PM
NDL

Quote:
As an avid people watcher I will have to give credit where credit is due. There is a segment of our newcomers who have honestly attempted to adopt, or perhaps adapt, the local culture into their own daily existence. I'm not sure they fully grok what it means, but they like it enough to try. These tend to have an easier time assimilating than others.
Words of hope and encouragement

Perhaps on this occasion my concern is unnecessary, because there are newcomers who distinguish, and cherish, y'all's traditions and mannerisms.

May the allure and charity of Southern hospitality be forever in the Greenville area

Old 04-26-2019, 02:44 PM

1,845 posts, read 2,763,744 times
Plan Greenville MRJ

Only a few posts so far, but interesting. A summary tutorial on how to provide input to the planning process.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:00 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
Plan Greenville MRJ

Only a few posts so far, but interesting. A summary tutorial on how to provide input to the planning process.
Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

It's interesting to note the Author's observation about a new development going in:

"...more subdivisions coming to Antioch Church Road. One development at the corner with Fork Shoals Road and one down by the pond bordering Huff Creek. These are cluster type housing."

Such speaks to the schizophrenic approach to planning in many areas:

"Cluster type housing" follows the traditional suburban model, yet this model has been decreed to be unsustainable. To ensure it's "sustainability" and adherence to smart growth principles, said plans are often modified with the addition of sidewalks and the allocation of open/green space. What's left is a new fangled suburban development that's more densely populated than it's predecessors, while using a "cluster" cul-de-sac development pattern that's dependent on secondary roads.

When you have a town consisting of such developments, traffic backs up on secondary roads, as drivers cannot cut across neighborhoods (as each neighborhood road is terminated by a cul-de-sac, unlike yesteryear's neighborhoods that follow a traditional grid street pattern).

And because these new fangled developments follow a semi-suburban style format, sidewalks often lead to nowhere; an automobile is still necessary to access most services. You're left with a low to medium density arrangement that's too heavily dependent on secondary roads, which conspires to create a heavily congested, trafficked, mess.

The solution is to hold density down, as was done with most traditional suburban style developments (which feature 1/4-1/2+ acre lots), or to follow a truly walkable format ala downtown Greenville. Either you develop land in such a way so as to make an area not heavily dependent upon services/infrastructure, or you build an area with the density to support walkable dining, shopping, mass transit, etc.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:14 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
A lot of the 'smart growth' people support things like demolishing the Church Street bridge downtown which would make traffic congestion worse.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:58 AM

33 posts, read 88,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

It's interesting to note the Author's observation about a new development going in:

"...more subdivisions coming to Antioch Church Road. One development at the corner with Fork Shoals Road and one down by the pond bordering Huff Creek. These are cluster type housing."

Such speaks to the schizophrenic approach to planning in many areas:

"Cluster type housing" follows the traditional suburban model, yet this model has been decreed to be unsustainable. To ensure it's "sustainability" and adherence to smart growth principles, said plans are often modified with the addition of sidewalks and the allocation of open/green space. What's left is a new fangled suburban development that's more densely populated than it's predecessors, while using a "cluster" cul-de-sac development pattern that's dependent on secondary roads.

When you have a town consisting of such developments, traffic backs up on secondary roads, as drivers cannot cut across neighborhoods (as each neighborhood road is terminated by a cul-de-sac, unlike yesteryear's neighborhoods that follow a traditional grid street pattern).

And because these new fangled developments follow a semi-suburban style format, sidewalks often lead to nowhere; an automobile is still necessary to access most services. You're left with a low to medium density arrangement that's too heavily dependent on secondary roads, which conspires to create a heavily congested, trafficked, mess.

The solution is to hold density down, as was done with most traditional suburban style developments (which feature 1/4-1/2+ acre lots), or to follow a truly walkable format ala downtown Greenville. Either you develop land in such a way so as to make an area not heavily dependent upon services/infrastructure, or you build an area with the density to support walkable dining, shopping, mass transit, etc.
This!! NDL nailed it.

This post should be required reading for all planners.
Or at least force them to play SimCity for a month or so ;-)

Old 04-27-2019, 09:17 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,135 times
Having lived down here from Ohio 15 years now watching Greenville's growth is nothing short of impressive. As a Vermont poster mentioned, in NW Ohio watching a new home being built is like seeing a cat and a dog on their hind legs dancing together. Down here entire communities spring up over night some times.

Old 04-27-2019, 01:40 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo77 View Post
This!! NDL nailed it.

This post should be required reading for all planners.
Or at least force them to play SimCity for a month or so ;-)
Thanks for the kind words

I can't take any credit for my conclusions, however; I grew up on Long Island, whose neighborhoods largely follow the "cul-de-sac" model, and I have seen the carnage that that wrought. Traffic in many Nassau County areas is simply terrible, and sidewalks lead to nowhere, so what's the point of walking to the store? It's too far; too inconvenient.

What makes today's suburbs worse than their predecessors, is that many of today's developments are built with greater density. Today's townhome developments might look green, clean, and spiffy, yet their density matches that of many innercity neighborhoods.

Conversely, as a child, Brooklyn was my second home, and curiously enough the reverse was true: traffic was dispersed across a grid like street pattern; if one road had an accident, you could easily take one of many alternatives. Each "neighborhood" had a main street shopping district; in many areas, if you wanted to go to the hardware store, restaurant, butcher, etc., you simply walked out of your front door, and a few blocks down was your destination. This planning model built community familiarity, and meant that you could accomplish many tasks without an automobile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area