Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 07:55 AM

211 posts, read 548,517 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate from Michigan to the Greenville area. We love the looks of Greenville, but aren't sure about living there, due to wanting to avoid the "big city life". My husband needs a good job with good pay (he is a broker/owner with Re/Max, income around $100K depending on the market.) I realize incomes are lower in the South, he is open to other job opportunities in banking/finance. We don't want to commute (20 min. is too much), sick of that.

The town we live in has to be charming, with lots to do with our 4 kids (1 more on the way! ), very good schools, FRIENDLY people, mall, GOOD grocery stores, farm markets, nice parks and sidewalks, playgrounds, town square, antiques shops, and great restaurants. We are Christians and want a town with family values. We don't go to bars or concerts, and we aren't "artsy", so those things don't matter. We just want a quiet, peaceful place to raise our family...but with lots of fun things to do. Also, we will not consider Spartanburg. We will either be in Greenville or towards the Greer area. So...can anyone answer these questions?

1.) Is our best bet for jobs in Greenville?

2.) Based on our criteria, should we live in Greenville, Taylors or Greer? Or, is there another town in the Greenville area that sounds like it would fit the bill?

3.) If we live in Greeville would we love it or hate it, based on what we are looking for?

4.) Has anyone moved from Michigan? Share your experience!

5.) If my husband has to commute how far is it?

If you have any other info. for us it would be a big help in making this decision! Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 11:42 AM

915 posts, read 2,423,815 times
1.) Is our best bet for jobs in Greenville? - Well, I think that Greenville has an excellent job market, but it obviously depends on the industry. The banking/finance industry is pretty good here, and will continue to grow with South Financial moving their headquarters here.

2.) Based on our criteria, should we live in Greenville, Taylors or Greer? Or, is there another town in the Greenville area that sounds like it would fit the bill? - I think they are all great areas, but it's all a matter of finding exactly what suits you. The one thing I had to get used to when I moved here in 2002 was the town names. I moved here from Pennsylvania, where everything was townships. Moving to Greer for instance, you could be 12 minutes from downtown Greenville, or you could be closer to 30 minutes if you're up towards the Spartanburg part of Greer. You might want to look into different areas of Simpsonville too. I live off of Woodruff Rd in Simpsonville (29681), and I love being convenient to everything. You can also be further south in Simpsonville (29680) where you would be better able to avoid "big city life", but still be less than 30 minutes from downtown Greenville.

3.) If we live in Greeville would we love it or hate it, based on what we are looking for? - I have met one person who moved here and didn't like it. Honestly, almost everyone I talk to says that they aboslutely love living here. I'm one of them.

4.) Has anyone moved from Michigan? Share your experience! - I was born in Michigan (north of Detroit), and went back frequently since much of my family still lives there. How do I put this nicely? I don't mind Michigan, but man, it feels good to come home.

5.) If my husband has to commute how far is it? - It all depends on where you live, and where he works. Commute times vary, and I think it also depends on who you talk to. If you talk to someone from Atlanta or Pittsburgh, they laugh when you mention traffic in Greenville. People from smaller towns tend to think traffic in Greenville is terrible. I don't think it is bad at all, and I also know people who commute to Greenville from Hendersonville! (don't ask me why they don't just move here) Put it this way, I live 6 miles east of where Woodruff and 385 intersect; last night I had a meeting in the center of downtown Greenville at 6pm. I made it from my house, 6 miles down Woodruff Rd, north on 385, and got to my meeting in less than 20 minutes.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:57 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
Hi Shabby Chick!

Let me be the first to invite you to at least come for a visit sometime soon. That is usually all it takes to help make your decision to move final. If you decide that you would like to look elsewhere, then I can guarantee that you at least will not regret your time spent visiting the city. Greenville has that ability to instantly charm its visitors and make them want to stay longer, if not permanently. I can say this with confidence, knowing exactly how other newcomers from all over constantly express their satisfaction. I can also feel comfortable saying such things because I am in love with this place just as much as the excited individuals who have moved here not more than a week ago.

Regarding your options for neighborhoods, I would say that the Taylors area could be the best fit on the list, although you will have a better idea once you are able to check them out in person. The reason I considered the Taylors area is because of its pleasant, established and quiet neighborhoods that are close to downtown, but also removed from the bustling action around the majority of the Eastside and the urban core. Another factor to consider would be schools, depending on what method of education you plan to pursue. There are other nice "quiet" areas in town that you might wish to consider as well, once you are able to refine your criteria and job situation.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:09 PM

Thank you so much! If you think of anything else please pass it on!

Old 04-04-2008, 02:57 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,642,263 times
CKeegan... I'm a fellow PA resident and am planning our move down there soon. My fiance is originally from Greenville and I am from FL and we constantly talk about how f-d up the roads around here are, how it's so difficult to find your way ANYwhere! I got a kick out of reading your post. Thanks for the laugh~

Old 04-04-2008, 07:43 PM

128 posts, read 613,192 times
I moved from Michigan and I LOOOOOOOOOOVE IT! I'd check out Taylors (in the Eastside High area only) and Greer (Riverside High area only)

Best of luck!

Old 04-05-2008, 07:49 AM

jpoole52-
Where in Michigan did you move from??? We have chosen Greer. We found a good church/Christian school there so it makes sense to live there. Housing looks nice and within our range. When looking at real estate online, how do I know if I'm looking in the Riverside High area???? How many minutes is it from downtown Greenville to Greer?

Old 04-05-2008, 09:06 AM

We have been looking at real estate in Greer, and can't figure out why everything is in a subdivision. There don't appear to be any homes on acreage.

Also, I am interested in Northern Greer, which I hear is so beautiful. How far is that from Greenville?

Old 04-08-2008, 07:04 PM

4 posts, read 15,114 times
Hi ShabbyChick!

We recently relocated from the Eastside of Seattle to the Eastside of Greenville.

We live in Greer close to the Greenville city limit right off Pelham Road, in the same subdivision as my in-laws. Non fixer-upper houses on acreage are pretty rare in this area, as you've already learned :-(

We are Jews, but if you are willing to say what church you're planning to join I'd do my best to suggest convenient subdivisions. We have looked at EVERYTHING on the Eastside in the past few months...

Old 04-08-2008, 09:10 PM

7 posts, read 19,553 times
Hi Shabby Chick,

My husband and I just moved to Greenville from Michigan (Macomb County) about 8 months ago. We love it here.

First I wanted to say don't automatically assume that incomes are going to be lower in SC. I thought that too. I was transferred here with my company at the same salary that I was making in Michigan. I have since learned that people in my field here with the same level of experience often earn more than I am making now.

Based on what you are looking for, I think you will be happy here. Greenville is definitely a charming town. I love downtown Greenville- there are several great parks, the zoo, shopping. There are tons of family friendly activities.

We moved here sight unseen (based on a very fast transfer with work) and we have not regretted our decision. The weather is wonderful. And South Carolina is such a beautiful state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area