U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 11:48 AM

76 posts, read 162,084 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I thought I had read somewhere, but can't seem to find it now, about the 2 zip codes in Simpsonville, with one being better than the other, and possibly wanting to avoid one.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Any thoughts? Is there a better zip code?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 06:24 PM

2 posts, read 22,762 times
My family has lived in both 29681 and 29680.

Main Street is 29681 and would be my preference for a single family home. Good value and location especially in Poinsettia subdivision.

Across I-385 is 29680. Lot of new development (residential and commercial) has created congestion, but this is also true as you go away from town toward Woodruff Rd in the 29681 zip.

Simpsonville is a super community, but we moved to Greenville b/c we chose a private high school and the commute into Greenville on I-385 each morning is nuts. It worked much better for me to commute to Simpsonville from Greenville than for my family to commute the other way.

Old 12-16-2006, 03:24 PM

Default yupstate

Thanks for the info. We were looking in 80 zipcode at a new development but want to be in the best or better part of Simpsonville.

Do you have any input on technology jobs? Are there any in Greenville? I telecommute now, but I want to make sure if ever there were a lay off that I would be able to get another job.

Thanks for the help!

Old 12-17-2006, 08:38 AM

107 posts, read 499,744 times
I am moving my family to Simpsonville next summer from the Boston area. We have made several trips to the area and done much research. On our last trip, just this past week, we bought a home to be built by Ryan Homes in the 81 area. If I could be of any assistance by sharing the information I have gathered on the area, just give me a holler. I am in the medical field, so I don't know much about other technology opportunities in the area. I do know that we ran across some run down neighborhoods in the other zip code area, but there is also alot of nice subdivisions and new building going on in both zips.

Old 12-17-2006, 04:11 PM

We are originally from MA....

We are also looking at Ryan homes, Park Ridge. Its in the 80 zipcode and have taken 2 trips up to SC from FL. We definitely don't want to be on one side wishing we had bought on the other side (we have done that 2 already).

Old 12-17-2006, 04:44 PM

We bought at White Hall. Ryan has been very nice to deal with so far. We'll see how it goes once building begins.
We chose the area, unaware of the zip code, due to the fact that it fell in a district with good schools and a new one planning to be built, also because it's at the end of Woodruff Road amidst farmland and far from traffic, while the burgeoning commercial zone of Woodruff Road is only 5-10 minutes away.
I should point out that on my first trip to the area, I was given a daylong tour of the area by my future manager who is from New York originally and has been in the Greenville area for 10+ yrs now. His advice for housing was to avoid anything west of I-385. I know he built a home in East Simpsonville and built one for his parents there as well. We took heed because he was very knowledgable and helpful in every respect.

Old 12-18-2006, 06:42 AM

We received the info on Whitehall. All of the Ryan developments look nice. We like that most have the wooded lots.

We are planning on another trip up there so maybe we will have our realtor take us to see some developments on the east side of Simpsonville.

The Ryan agent we have been speaking with has been very helpful and has been giving us constant updates on the development incase we decide to by there. We definitely want to be in the nicer section of Simpsonville, although from our visits so far it all looks nice to us.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:23 PM
jac

388 posts, read 945,723 times
I have never heard of one Simpsonville zip code being "better" than another. I also have never heard that west of 385 should be avoided. I have yet to find any parts of Simpsonville to be undesirable. I think it just depends on what you are looking for. So, what exactly are you looking for in the "nicer section" of town?

You did mention Park Ridge. Isn't that right by Southside Park? The facilities there are really nice.

Also, concerning schools, you will be in the same district regardless of what Simpsonville zip code you have. Your school assignment is based on your subdivision, not your zip code. School assignments are posted on the Greenville County School website. I have heard good things about most of the schools in the Simpsonville area. I know my experience has been positive thusfar.

We will close on our Ryan home next week. My only suggestion is to do your paperwork in the neighborhood you are buying in. The standards (things you automatically receive with your home) are different for each neighborhood. It can be very confusing to work with a salesperson in one neighborhood while buying in another.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:01 PM

We have been working with someone from Ryan homes in Park Ridge and she has been outstanding. It looks like it is going to be a great development. We are also looking at Whitehall as well as Moss Creek in Taylors. We like the wooded lots and the floor plans.

As for the different zipcodes, from reading the posts that I have seen the 81 zipcode and 80 zipcode differ in feel and traffic. We definitely need to explore some more before we make a decision on a development. All of the schools seem like they are really nice and being updated. Our realtor took us around and I didn't notice a difference from one part to the next....reason for my post.

I love hearing from people making the same move or having made a move to the same area since we will be in the same boat soon...atleast I hope to be.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:12 PM

I agree, it is very nice to be able to communicate with others about all this. Jac, let us know how things transpire after the closing with Ryan, I'll be shortly behind you and would like to be prepared for whats to come. I'm very interested in the timeline they'll give you for clearing the lot, building and completion, etc... I'll communicate anything significant that occurs on my end as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area