Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 01:19 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,502 posts, read 5,587,146 times

Advertisements

If we make the move to Greenville, we'll probably wind up around the mall area, or in Taylors.

I have looked up a couple of addresses via TVFOOL, and it's telling me not to have high expectations with OTA reception.

How many channels are y'all getting? I would be renting before buying, so I wouldn't be using a roof or attic mounted antenna.

Also, are Greenville's channels making the shift from UHF to VHF?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 04:45 PM

266 posts, read 298,479 times
Not sure about the move, but WSPA 7 is VHF7 and Wlos13 is VHF13. You should recieve alot of stations and sub stations with a decent outdoor antenna. The only catch is WLOS 13. It is hit and miss. So if you can live without ABC, you are good to go.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmelfi View Post
Not sure about the move, but WSPA 7 is VHF7 and Wlos13 is VHF13. You should recieve alot of stations and sub stations with a decent outdoor antenna. The only catch is WLOS 13. It is hit and miss. So if you can live without ABC, you are good to go.
Thanks nmelfi. So how many channels do you get in total?

Old 11-14-2018, 08:19 PM

266 posts, read 298,479 times
43 here on a makeshift antenna. Once I get my Stellar Labs 30-2476 VHF high antenna back up on the roof I will gain a few Charlotte channels also.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmelfi View Post
43 here on a makeshift antenna. Once I get my Stellar Labs 30-2476 VHF high antenna back up on the roof I will gain a few Charlotte channels also.
Appreciate the reply. That's a LOT better than I expected.

I assume you're getting all of Greenville. Are you getting any Asheville, Atlanta, or Columbia channels?

Last edited by NDL; 11-14-2018 at 10:47 PM..

Old 11-15-2018, 07:06 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,265,042 times
We get 50+ channels but that's using a really good antenna in the attic. Among the networks, channel 13 WLOS (ABC) is the only one that is particularly difficult to receive.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:00 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,821,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
We get 50+ channels but that's using a really good antenna in the attic. Among the networks, channel 13 WLOS (ABC) is the only one that is particularly difficult to receive.
Same. I just installed a clearstream 2v in my attic.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:44 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,906,050 times
Reception is affected by terrain. In a hilly area like Greenville, you can have "valleys" in reception so channel X comes in fine on one street but not the next street over. See:

https://www.disablemycable.com/blog/...-tv-reception/

I get 14 stations at my location near Woodruff Road with a Mohu internal antenna, several of them religious broadcasting that isn't of interest to me. I'm going to try mounting a larger flat antenna high on a wall to see if that makes a difference. Here's a couple more sites on reception that might be useful:

https://nocable.org/availability-rep...-greenville-sc
https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

Old 11-15-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
I appreciate the reply, and information. 50+ channels is better than I ever hoped for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
Same. I just installed a clearstream 2v in my attic.
Thanks for the antenna mention. You're not the first person that's held that antenna in high regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Reception is affected by terrain. In a hilly area like Greenville, you can have "valleys" in reception so channel X comes in fine on one street but not the next street over. See:

https://www.disablemycable.com/blog/...-tv-reception/

I get 14 stations at my location near Woodruff Road with a Mohu internal antenna, several of them religious broadcasting that isn't of interest to me. I'm going to try mounting a larger flat antenna high on a wall to see if that makes a difference. Here's a couple more sites on reception that might be useful:

https://nocable.org/availability-rep...-greenville-sc
https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps
Appreciate your time, and the information you've enclosed. Thanks

Old 11-16-2018, 07:11 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,819,616 times
Expect that you won't be able to get an ABC affiliate. You can get the other three pretty well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area