U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2018, 04:55 PM

5,128 posts, read 6,046,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post

That's ugly even for South Florida.
I agree that it's ugly. It just fits in better with South Florida.

And for those who say that if we don't like it, we're stick-in-the-muds who want boring brick buildings, where did I ever say that? I didn't. No one said that.

I SAID that modern design can reference classical buildings. I have nothing against modern design. I have something against bad modern design. Really graceful modern design will stand the test of time.

I think this building is generic modern design. I've seen a thousand buildings just like it. Not inspiring in the least.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 05:07 PM

5,128 posts, read 6,046,868 times
Here's a graceful modern building.

It's the Innovation, Science, and Technology Building at Florida Polytechnic University in Lakeland, Florida.

Last edited by Yac; 01-07-2019 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: please, provide the source when posting a picture

Old 12-30-2018, 05:12 PM

695 posts, read 311,020 times
Just an FYI, y’all are arguing about midrises and calling this a highrise, but by definition it would be a skyscraper. It would be only the second one built in the state, after the Capitol Center in Columbia.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:20 PM

5,715 posts, read 5,830,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Here's a graceful modern building.

It's the Innovation, Science, and Technology Building at Florida Polytechnic University in Lakeland, Florida.
That's a great looking building but has nothing to do with what we're talking about. I'm afraid you have a fear of heights (buildings).

Old 01-04-2019, 09:14 AM

140 posts, read 209,369 times
That looks great. Keep the "old timey" buildings in Charleston. Greenville is a modern city and should have modern buildings.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:42 AM

2,547 posts, read 2,319,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
Just an FYI, y’all are arguing about midrises and calling this a highrise, but by definition it would be a skyscraper. It would be only the second one built in the state, after the Capitol Center in Columbia.
I thought the term "skyscraper" started with 40+ floors and/or over 150m (~500 feet).

By the commonly accepted definitions, this building would be a highrise (13-39 stories)

Old 01-05-2019, 10:58 AM

429 posts, read 375,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
I thought the term "skyscraper" started with 40+ floors and/or over 150m (~500 feet).

By the commonly accepted definitions, this building would be a highrise (13-39 stories)
Here is the Wikipedia page on the topic, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyscraper

An excerpt:

A skyscraper is a continuously habitable high-rise building that has over 40 floors[1] and is taller than approximately 150 m (492 ft).[2] Historically, the term first referred to buildings with 10 to 20 floors in the 1880s. The definition shifted with advancing construction technology during the 20th Century.[1] Skyscrapers may host commercial offices or residential space, or both. For buildings above a height of 300 m (984 ft), the term "supertall" can be used, while skyscrapers reaching beyond 600 m (1,969 ft) are classified as "megatall".[3]

And another:

The term "skyscraper" was first applied to buildings of steel framed construction of at least 10 stories in the late 19th century, a result of public amazement at the tall buildings being built in major American cities like Chicago, New York City, Philadelphia, Detroit, and St. Louis.[4] The first steel-frame skyscraper was the Home Insurance Building (originally 10 stories with a height of 42 m or 138 ft) in Chicago, Illinois in 1885. Some point to Philadelphia's 10-story Jayne Building (1849–50) as a proto-skyscraper, or to New York's seven-floor Equitable Life Building (New York City), built in 1870, for its innovative use of a kind of skeletal frame, but such designation depends largely on what factors are chosen. Even the scholars making the argument find it to be purely academic.[5][6]

I definitely think it is pretty relative (in personal opinion and on a city by city basis) in conversation, and that the idea of what constitutes a "highrise" or "skyscraper" has changed over time. For this day and age, I don't consider Greenville to have any real highrises, let alone skyscrapers (even compared to peer cities). I would maybe consider the Landmark Building to be a highrise, but I think of the others as just mid- rises, with may of the new buildings (barely above tree line for example) being low-rises. It's neat to see others' interpretations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
That's a great looking building but has nothing to do with what we're talking about. I'm afraid you have a fear of heights (buildings).
That is a very cool looking building for sure. But I agree it doesn't show a great example for the kind of building being discussed in this topic. For those of you who don't like the conceptual rendering, what would you like/propose for a similar size building in this part of DT? Pictures?

Old 01-06-2019, 06:22 PM

31,268 posts, read 28,985,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelloslug View Post
That looks great. Keep the "old timey" buildings in Charleston. Greenville is a modern city and should have modern buildings.
Greenville does have modern buildings. A building can be lowrise or midrise and still be modern...or do you think Greenville has been building nothing but a bunch of "old timey" buildings this entire time?

Old 01-06-2019, 07:53 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,574,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Greenville does have modern buildings. A building can be lowrise or midrise and still be modern...or do you think Greenville has been building nothing but a bunch of "old timey" buildings this entire time?
Lol. I think they were really trying to refer to height, but used different wording.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:21 PM

140 posts, read 209,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Wut?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or