Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 06:47 AM

5,142 posts, read 7,298,141 times

Advertisements

I have recently relocated from Mauldin in Greenville County to near Inman in Spartanburg County. I have noticed limited options for newspaper distribution other than the Spartanburg Herald Journal. Only Publix carries the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and the Charlotte Observer. And I have not seen the Greenville News anywhere. Are there any other options for purchasing newspapers in Spartanburg County? It still irritates me that QT stores stopped carrying regional and national newspapers except for USA Today and the local paper. Used to be a good option. Although I may still see some orange Observer racks here and there, perhaps still the Peach Blossom Diner and a few Ingle's stores, but not really sure. And I though there used to be a newsstand near the downtown area of Spartanburg, but I am not sure. Any options other than Publix? They usually sell out of the Charlotte paper by the time I get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 07:12 AM

21,008 posts, read 27,105,781 times
I am not aware of any locations in Spartanburg County that sells a diversity of newspapers.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:05 AM

958 posts, read 2,615,626 times
I've seen the Greenville News at a couple Walgreens locations.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:33 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,272,777 times
I worked in retail 20 years ago and even back then the drugstore chain I worked for had reduced the newspapers we carried down to only the local paper. The reason was we just didn't make any money off of selling newspapers and once you factored in the time to check in the new inventory and get credit for unsold inventory each morning, it was a money loser even back then. I have to imagine that even fewer people read the newspaper now. Printed news has become a dinosaur in the age of online media.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:52 AM

1,942 posts, read 2,742,311 times
Seriously, why would any store carry newspapers?

Old 01-11-2019, 09:19 AM

4,893 posts, read 7,412,188 times
Hard-copy newspapers are fading into history. Obviously you are computer literate, so sign up for digital copies of any newspaper from Spartanburg to NY to Sidney, Australia.

Quite a few of the papers I read offer a limited number (usually about five)per month for free. Just choose judiciously.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:58 AM

5,643 posts, read 5,814,407 times
Libraries used to have them. Free to use but couldnt take home.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
Seriously, why would any store carry newspapers?
Publix still carries newspapers as a service to those customers who prefer to read a physical newspaper, and I appreciate that. They carry either Greenville or Spartanburg newspapers, Charlotte Observer, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Hard-copy newspapers are fading into history. Obviously you are computer literate, so sign up for digital copies of any newspaper from Spartanburg to NY to Sidney, Australia.

Quite a few of the papers I read offer a limited number (usually about five)per month for free. Just choose judiciously.
I can view the digital replica of the Charlotte Observer as a paid subscriber, but I still prefer a physical paper copy. But the digital eEdition does offer more content in a national daily Extra section for all McClatchy newspapers.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:17 PM
NDL

4,514 posts, read 5,607,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I have recently relocated from Mauldin in Greenville County
I can't answer about newspapers, but congratulations on your new home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area