Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:01 PM

354 posts, read 1,074,191 times

Advertisements

This may sound like a strange question but after something that happened today, I feel the need to ask.
How do the adults view children in the South in general?
To be more specific, something disturbed me that my husband's potential boss (if he transfers to Greenville) said to him.
He was referring to life in Greenville, the company my husband would be working for, etc.
He stressed how well behaved the children of the families that worked for the company were. He commented several times about their respect for people in authority, their politieness, their willingness to help clean up at family/company functions, etc.

This is all wonderful in my opinion, but there was something about what he was saying that seemed to be referring to more than just "well behaved children".
Keep in mind.......he did not meet our children yet (we have 3)

Something about the way he spoke reminded me of an aunt of mine. Growing up, I remember her having the "children should be seen and not heard" mentality. "Mind your business"......."speak when spoken to", etc.

I believe in raising my children to be respectful, polite, moral, (which they are) ........but I also encourage my children to tell me anything. I have the belief that just because they are children doesn't mean their views aren't important or valid, etc.

After this interview/meeting with the potential boss, it has raised a few concerns for my husband and I........along with something I saw in a private school website in Greenville (I won't mention their name) that they believe in "traditional forms of discipline".
What does this mean? Are children still given the "strap" in some schools in the South? I would really appreciate some honest comments on this matter.

My son has some attention difficulties that he is being treated for and would not do well in an environment that has no/little tolerence for any sort of behaviour that may be perceived as "disobidient" to authority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 11:06 PM

835 posts, read 2,298,232 times
I'd say some children see the line between adults and children instead of treating them like one of their friends. Like not calling an adult "dude" or "man" to their face.

Just so long as you kid says "please, thank you, yes/no sir/ma'am." He'll be okay.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:12 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,129,640 times
i value southern traditions. i live on the coast and have seen the damage done. spock lied, time out does not work. more violent, more unruly than 30 years ago. the south produces most of our soldiers. discipline, family, loyalty, fidelity, perseverance & courage, these are southern traditions, these are military traditions. we learn them or don't learn them young. we cannot bear to see our children denied what we did not have, of course that was what made us strong.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:17 PM

11,689 posts, read 24,671,546 times
I'm confused. LOL. I attended elementary, middle, and high school here and never had any problems. Just like any other public school in the country. Didn't have to wear uniforms or anything. You could talk to your classmates and teachers. It's also illegal to whip a student with a belt in school if I recall correctly.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:22 PM

835 posts, read 2,298,232 times
Maybe back in the day they could but now they just stick to slaps across the face. lol.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:25 PM

11,689 posts, read 24,671,546 times
^^Nope. They pull out a gun instead. That's for the females now. They kick the males where it hurts the most. LOL.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:38 PM

96 posts, read 442,557 times
I got regular a$$ whooopings . In elementary school our principle had " ol' roy" it was a thick paddle with holes in it for less wind resistance. in high school it was done by the football coach with a belt . he was asick bastard. but we probably deserved it . This was 70s 80s .

Old 03-28-2008, 11:52 PM

128 posts, read 611,977 times
I teach here, moved down from Michigan in June, and yes, most of the children say yes m'am, no m'am, but they aren't any different from children in the north.

I think you'll be fine.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:10 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,758,859 times
Sorry if this is off-topic.

I didn't have a job when I first got to Greenville. After the first two interviews in this town, I thought I had moved to the twilight zone. I've noticed a lot of people kind of dance around some subjects in a sort of "code" language, for lack of a better description. My first two interviews really started out as a speech by the interviewer (both small-business owners) and frankly at the end of the first one, I just wanted out of the room. I gave a horrible interview and I didn't care. Oddly the guy called me over a month later to offer a job, though. But he talked about Sundays a lot, marriage, values, people moving here from out of state, traffic, Mexicans - basically a whole lot of things that had nothing to do with the job itself or my ability to perform it. When I mentioned my fiance, he jumped in and started asking me about marriage and why I hadn't married yet, then made an inappropriate comment about gays people.

Anyway, as a white, clean-cut, liberal agnostic man, I find myself in some awkward conversations sometimes here in Greenville. Conversations that involve words I don't usually use in polite conversation myself. A seventeen year-old kid at the bi-lo told me a n igger-joke the other day - that was lovely. I have a neighbor that is concerned about a "mexican" family down the street. I haven't met them, but from the flag on one of their cars they are Puerto Rican. And every once in a while people start slipping in family values-type words in there. I just feel like sometimes I am being sized up as to whether I am on the "right team" or not. Maybe that is what your husband's potential employer was doing - saying stuff like that to get a reaction to determine what kind of "values" he'd bring as an employee.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:15 AM

10 posts, read 49,373 times
Southern kids are somewhat respectful but don't bank on totally.Julie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area