Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 08:10 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Food Lion is not going anywhere and I don't think Ahold/Delhaize is going to bring any form of Giant Food Stores to the Carolinas anytime soon. From what I have seen FL had growth and the strongest fiscal results of any of the Ahold-Delhaize banners in 2018. They just announced this week investment in 92 stores in SC. (Myrtle Beach-Florence, Charleston and Columbia markets)

supermarketnews.com/store-design-construction/food-lion-readies-store-remodels-south-carolina
I wouldn't count it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 01:45 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,364,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
I'm very interested in this.Our youngest daughter lives in DC with no car and shops at the Dupont Circle Whole Foods.When we visit we load her up with heavy bulky grocery items.This concept would work great in DC.

It also excites me that there is an evolving omnichannel, and Amazon will not dominate! The folks in the industry I listen too have told me this is the future.
There used to be a Safeway in DC in walking distance of Dupont Circle on 17th st NW. It may still be there. And they have also added inner city Wawa stores in Philly but not sure about DC. Plenty of 7-11 stores if I recall. But I always thought Giant was the best supermarket, although they have now added Harris Teeter and Wegman's in the region.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:57 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,213,113 times
I think she went into that safeway once...a thin skinned millennial!

Old 03-08-2019, 02:08 PM

446 posts, read 415,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
There used to be a Safeway in DC in walking distance of Dupont Circle on 17th st NW. It may still be there. And they have also added inner city Wawa stores in Philly but not sure about DC. Plenty of 7-11 stores if I recall. But I always thought Giant was the best supermarket, although they have now added Harris Teeter and Wegman's in the region.
There was another Safeway in DC closer to Georgetown on Wisconsin Avenue that I went to a few times when going to college in DC. They used to call it swinging Safeway where singles would meet potential mates. I did not partake.

Old 03-08-2019, 04:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Food Lion runs circles with "remodels". It "updates" stores by doing nothing.
My humble Knight, the new decor that the stores being remodeled in SC will get, is already horrendous and blech since it debuted at several Food Lions in the Richmond area and later in the Roanoke and Hampton Roads areas.

Their new "Priced Low Every Day" stuff..... bunch of baloney!

Old 03-09-2019, 12:53 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,262,444 times
I know Food Lion has "updated" stores in North Carolina and Virginia. Food Lion did not do anything significant to those stores. It does encourage shopping more at its competitors (i.e. Harris Teeter, Kroger, Publix, Walmart, Wegman's).

Old 03-09-2019, 11:09 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,050,331 times
Quote:
I think BI-LO went the wrong direction and made many bad decisions post-Ahold ownership. Bad decisions and abandonment of standards have led to stores closed and market exits.

I have been at two BI-LO stores within the past month. Neither store had many customers. Grocery shelves had holes, or empty spaces for products. Excluding self checkout, one register was open.
Bi-Lo’s fate was sealed with Aholds accounting scandal in the early 2000’s.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:51 AM

181 posts, read 133,092 times
Quote:
If Harris Teeter wants to make moves in South Carolina, it should consider acquiring a quantity of BI-LO stores in other areas. Two stores in Greenville are not enough to compete with Ingle's and Publix.

Publix has no problem acquiring stores.
Im not 100% certain but isn't the footprint of a BiLo store usually smaller than most Harris Teeters?

Other than that, it would be a good idea to expand into the upstate. Start by maybe adding one more to Greenville/Simpsonville, then one each to Spartanburg and Anderson.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:29 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,022,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAndersonCo View Post
Im not 100% certain but isn't the footprint of a BiLo store usually smaller than most Harris Teeters?

Other than that, it would be a good idea to expand into the upstate. Start by maybe adding one more to Greenville/Simpsonville, then one each to Spartanburg and Anderson.
After seeing that beautiful new Harris Teeter on Augusta Rd, I am not sure what they would do with some of the Bi-Lo buildings unless it was a complete teardown. For whatever it's worth I was told by an employeee they plan on four additional Greenville county stores eventually. Not sure if that includes the future Stone Avenue location under construction. HT had two stores in Spartanburg before. I could see HT interested in the two Lowes Foods stores if they ever decided to leave the market since they are in higher end areas.

Last edited by vistatiger; 03-11-2019 at 10:43 AM..

Old 03-11-2019, 10:46 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
After seeing that beautiful new Harris Teeter on Augusta Rd, I am not sure what they would do with some of the Bi-Lo buildings unless it was a complete teardown. For whatever it's worth I was told by an employeee they plan on four additional Greenville county stores eventually. Not sure if that includes the future Stone Avenue location under construction. HT had two stores in Spartanburg before.
If they had 5 in Greenville county plus 1 in Easley, 1 in Anderson, and 2 in Spartanburg, that would at least be enough to justify some advertising. Their slow entry into the market is reminiscent of their last entry here that floundered due to getting off to a slow start. I went to the opening of their store off of Roper Mtn. Road and it was one of the nicer grocery stores in the area at the time. If they had ever opened a store near us, we would have shopped there but it was just too inconvenient to drive 20 minutes to the store to shop.

Kind of the same situation now with the store on Augusta and the planned store on Stone Ave. Neither of those stores is a realistic shopping destination for us in Powdersville or almost anyone in Simpsonville, 5 Forks, or Greer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area