Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 11:16 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,232,811 times

Advertisements

Food Lion continues to run circles in failure. Harris Teeter, which has issued of its own, is opening stores elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 11:44 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,211,197 times
The terms I keep hearing for future success are omnichannel and "experiential".

Old 03-07-2019, 12:04 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
Yes, but Ipads to facilitate home delivery is a decidedly upper middleclass play.Their latest Foodlion attempts look like brand new bilo's from 30 years ago.I see no evidence that the Foodlion parent company understands what todays Harris Teeter type shopper desires, but what do I know, I'm an old Winn Dixie store manager!
I suspect that Ahold has had the upper hand since the merger. Their 2 Giant chains have been successful, for years.

If the small footprint Giant Heirloom concept is successful in the city, there are plenty of nearby small towns to try it in. Once they work out any bugs, they can head south. I doubt that they'll stop at DC.

I was looking for a product a while back and someone said that she thought she saw it at Food Lion. I went in and it looked like a 1960s A&P. That was the doing of Delhaize, before the merger. They didn't have what I was looking for and I haven't been back.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:47 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,012,126 times
Food Lion is not going anywhere and I don't think Ahold/Delhaize is going to bring any form of Giant Food Stores to the Carolinas anytime soon. From what I have seen FL had growth and the strongest fiscal results of any of the Ahold-Delhaize banners in 2018. They just announced this week investment in 92 stores in SC. (Myrtle Beach-Florence, Charleston and Columbia markets)

supermarketnews.com/store-design-construction/food-lion-readies-store-remodels-south-carolina

Last edited by vistatiger; 03-07-2019 at 05:57 AM..

Old 03-07-2019, 06:45 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,809,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
AholdDelhaize is testing a new banner in Philadelphia, Giant Heirloom, as a small footprint grocery store. If it is successful I suspect that they'll expand it south to replace some of the small Food Lions. They might use it to their advantage in areas where they don't need bigger stores, to increase their presence. It remains to be seen.
The concept is interesting. I like smaller stores like Aldi or Trader Joes.

Sam's Club is experimenting with a new smaller concept called Sam's Club Now in Dallas. It looks to be mostly a grocery store. Something like that would do well in our area, especially since it's so difficult to get the main Sam's Club store on Woodruff Rd. Plus the size, about 32,000 sf, would fit into some of the existing Bi-Lo stores.

https://www.supermarketnews.com/stor...l-and-tech-lab

Old 03-07-2019, 07:13 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,012,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
The concept is interesting. I like smaller stores like Aldi or Trader Joes.

Sam's Club is experimenting with a new smaller concept called Sam's Club Now in Dallas. It looks to be mostly a grocery store. Something like that would do well in our area, especially since it's so difficult to get the main Sam's Club store on Woodruff Rd. Plus the size, about 32,000 sf, would fit into some of the existing Bi-Lo stores.

https://www.supermarketnews.com/stor...l-and-tech-lab
Wow. I thought Walmart tried something similar to this small concept with Walmart Express a few years ago. It failed and vanished quickly. Whole Foods just cancelled its smaller concept 365 recently. I supposed they are all trying these things because they are concerned about the growth of small store chains like Sprouts, Trader Joes etc.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Food Lion is not going anywhere and I don't think Ahold/Delhaize is going to bring any form of Giant Food Stores to the Carolinas anytime soon. From what I have seen FL had growth and the strongest fiscal results of any of the Ahold-Delhaize banners in 2018. They just announced this week investment in 92 stores in SC. (Myrtle Beach-Florence, Charleston and Columbia markets)

supermarketnews.com/store-design-construction/food-lion-readies-store-remodels-south-carolina
If Food Lion is smart, it would be doing extensive remodels and overhauls in South Carolina to include food and pharmacy departments and improved customer service, improved quality and freshness standards, and lower prices.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
If Food Lion is smart, it would be doing extensive remodels and overhauls in South Carolina to include food and pharmacy departments and improved customer service, improved quality and freshness standards, and lower prices.
I think it's been about 2 years since the last remodel. They must be about due for another. It never helps, though.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:05 AM

Food Lion runs circles with "remodels". It "updates" stores by doing nothing.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Food Lion runs circles with "remodels". It "updates" stores by doing nothing.
I still haven't figured out a purpose for the black windows from the last remodels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area