Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 07:25 AM

738 posts, read 416,650 times

Advertisements

One day there will probably be a option to take a cable car to the top of Table Rock like the Skyride at Stone Mountain.

Kentucky has a basic chairlift that runs to the natural bridge in the Natural Bridge State Park even though it is a pretty easy 1 mile hike to the top.

Perhaps they could build a incline railroad to the top like the one in Chattanooga on Lookout Mountain. A Table Rock incline railroad would probably have a steeper grade than that one.

Table Rock would probably become the most popular attraction in Blue Ridge if it gets transportation to the top. I can see the Blue Ridge Parkway being extended south starting in the Shining Rock Wilderness area if Table Rock is made more accessible.

The parkway would follow highway 178's route in SC route past Sassafras Mountain, Horsepasture Road to Jumping Off Rock, and Twin Falls to Highway 11 which would then basically be a Blue Ridge Parkway spur.

If the state really wants to dominate Blue Ridge tourism, they would then add a zipline from the top of Table Rock.

Last edited by Huckleberry Knob; 01-17-2021 at 07:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 08:51 AM

The Raven Rock loop trail in Keowee Toxaway State Park is the 10th highest rated hike in the country on All Trails for hikes featuring a lake, beach, waterfall, forest and views. It is #4 in the country if you filter these hikes for 5 miles or less.

I feel like All Trails should add jump off rocks as one of their trail attractions. Raven Rock has to be one of the best hikes in the country to a jump off rock which are usually only accessed by boat.

SC's state park website doesn't mention you can jump off the cliff into the lake in the 'top 5 things to do' at Keowee Toxaway State Park.

Old 01-17-2021, 01:22 PM

792 posts, read 496,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry Knob View Post
One day there will probably be a option to take a cable car to the top of Table Rock like the Skyride at Stone Mountain.

Kentucky has a basic chairlift that runs to the natural bridge in the Natural Bridge State Park even though it is a pretty easy 1 mile hike to the top.

Perhaps they could build a incline railroad to the top like the one in Chattanooga on Lookout Mountain. A Table Rock incline railroad would probably have a steeper grade than that one.

Table Rock would probably become the most popular attraction in Blue Ridge if it gets transportation to the top. I can see the Blue Ridge Parkway being extended south starting in the Shining Rock Wilderness area if Table Rock is made more accessible.

The parkway would follow highway 178's route in SC route past Sassafras Mountain, Horsepasture Road to Jumping Off Rock, and Twin Falls to Highway 11 which would then basically be a Blue Ridge Parkway spur.

If the state really wants to dominate Blue Ridge tourism, they would then add a zipline from the top of Table Rock.
Great idea. Additionally they could drain the lake at Table Rock, pave the bottom and put in some roller coasters, maybe a go-cart track and a ferris wheel too. A t-shirt shop at the top of the railroad track (I survived the Table Rock Railroad!") and a snowcone stand would be good too.

Yes, excellent. We do need more roads cut through the woods to get motorists to the area. Table Rock has really struggled to get visitors the past few years, glad someone has some ideas to get those numbers up.

Old 01-17-2021, 01:43 PM

513 posts, read 576,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
Great idea. Additionally they could drain the lake at Table Rock, pave the bottom and put in some roller coasters, maybe a go-cart track and a ferris wheel too. A t-shirt shop at the top of the railroad track (I survived the Table Rock Railroad!") and a snowcone stand would be good too.

Yes, excellent. We do need more roads cut through the woods to get motorists to the area. Table Rock has really struggled to get visitors the past few years, glad someone has some ideas to get those numbers up.
You beat me to it and said it better than I could have! That's one idea I hope NEVER comes to fruition. I can't imagine scarring up such a beautiful area like that. One of the things I like so much about Greenville and the upstate is the lack of cheesy tourist money traps; see Myrtle Beach and Pigeon Forge. Greenville will thankfully never be on the same level as those areas for tourism, but as it becomes more well known, I hope it doesn't start putting up stuff like that.

Old 01-17-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post

I never advocated for anything. I'm not the big 'economic development' guy on this forum.

Never said Table Rock struggles to get visitors. I pointed out its popularity upthread based on All Trails rating.

I don't think a sky car or chair lift to the top of Table Rock is the equivalent of a go-cart tract and ferris wheel. Would only be a way for little kids, season citizens, and people with knee issues or other health issues to get access to the top. For example, I could take my father who is an invalid after having a stroke up there. He was a big hiker prior to the stroke. I think it is good to have some nature things accessible to all.

There's still plenty of wilderness out there.

Last edited by Huckleberry Knob; 01-17-2021 at 02:02 PM..

Old 01-17-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedlogic View Post
You beat me to it and said it better than I could have! That's one idea I hope NEVER comes to fruition. I can't imagine scarring up such a beautiful area like that. One of the things I like so much about Greenville and the upstate is the lack of cheesy tourist money traps; see Myrtle Beach and Pigeon Forge. Greenville will thankfully never be on the same level as those areas for tourism, but as it becomes more well known, I hope it doesn't start putting up stuff like that.
Table Rock isn't Greenville. Don't think Table Rock getting a sky cab is going to turn Greenville into Gatlinburg or MB.

Look at all the tourist stuff Chattanooga has on nearby Lookout Mountain. Nooga isn't like MB or Gatlinburg. Not even close.

I don't think anybody thinks the Blue Ridge Parkway, Natural Bridge Resort State Park in Kentucky, and Stone Mountain near Atlanta have scarred up their areas.

Last edited by Huckleberry Knob; 01-17-2021 at 02:22 PM..

Old 01-17-2021, 02:09 PM

792 posts, read 496,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry Knob View Post
Table Rock isn't Greenville. Don't think Table Rock getting a sky cab is going to turn Greenville into Gatlinburg or MB. lol

I don't think anybody thinks the Blue Ridge Parkway, Natural Bridge Resort State Park in Kentucky, and Stone Mountain near Atlanta have scarred up their areas.

Old 01-17-2021, 02:10 PM

I would call that art. It isn't like teenagers spray painting the bald at Glassy Mountain.

Complaining about that is like complaining about the Indian petroglyphs on rocks or complaining about Mt Rushmore.

Archeologists a thousand of years from now will disagree with you.

Old 01-17-2021, 02:14 PM

Table Rock could always cap the number of visitors a day. They've done that this year essentially at times.

I guess you guys are opposed to Rock City, Incline Railroad and Ruby Falls in Chattanooga. All three were created for tourism.

Would also need to eliminate ski resorts, or whitewater rafting resorts along rivers like the NOC in Bryson City if we commit to your line of thinking.

Going with your logic, the city putting Liberty Bridge, which isn't needed to cross the river, over the waterfall is a scar. I personally would not have done Liberty Bridge to save money and to keep the area around the falls more rustic.

. It wasn't needed to draw people given the waterfall is right off main street.

Last edited by Huckleberry Knob; 01-17-2021 at 03:25 PM..

Old 01-17-2021, 03:57 PM

There wouldn't be a Gatlinburg as we know it if there were no official hiking trails in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. Managed hiking trails are man made 'tourist traps'.

Never understood why people get worked up about Gatlinburg, it is a nice looking town built on fun.

It is supposed to be a bad thing if a town like Pickens becomes like Gatlinburg? which doesn't seem likely under any scenario. The GSMNP is the most visited park in the country.

Helen GA or Eureka Springs AR would probably be the most touristy a SC town near Table Rock could possibly be in the future. Nobody who has been to those two towns would have a problem with that.

Last edited by Huckleberry Knob; 01-17-2021 at 04:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area