Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 07:09 AM

37 posts, read 39,160 times

Advertisements

Will be making brief visit to explore area and housing and not sure which area to see. Lots of homes for sale on realtor site but i dont know streets so i dont know which are east, west etc.
I suppose ill start with whatever is closer to my desired place of work which would be a reputable nursing home if you know of one. Single, schools unimportant; a little land, trees, trails. Under 200K. Open to short term lease also.
Where should i focus? And landmarks and streets would be helpful. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 08:27 AM

37 posts, read 38,734 times
If you don't mind homes that were built in the 60's and 70's but have been updated, the east side of Spartanburg could be right for you. Both Hillbrook and Fernwood neighborhoods (these are true neighborhoods with trees and large lots, not clear cut subdivisions) feature lots of square footage and usually 1/2-1 acre lots. Hillcrest is another neighborhood that is lower priced than that.

As for landmarks, look up Hillcrest shopping center or the new Spartanburg High School. Plenty of good restaurants on this side as well and close (3-4 miles) to a booming downtown scene.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:54 AM

27 posts, read 21,482 times
Agree with blkmtndude that Spartanburg's eastside is the place to look.

For reference, Spartanburg, especially the city, has developed mostly along an east-west axis. There is development to the north, for sure, but its beyond I-85. In years past there's been a "divide" or "rivalry" between the east and west sides of town but I believe that has largely diminished.

The eastside is more established, somewhat genteel in places, old money. The westside is a little more transient, middle class, faster paced. The westside is more convenient to the interstates.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:02 PM

4,902 posts, read 7,479,415 times
I also agree with the above. I don’t know too much about the west side but the east side is definitely long-term Spartanburg families. Many at our church are grandparents, children and grandchildren who all live in the area. It has a real sense of community and stability.

The neighborhoods are also deceiving. The house may look small from the street but a lot of the people that live there are very well-off. There isn’t a lot of show-off, gaudy wealth. It’s definitely quiet old money.

I love it.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:04 PM
NDL

4,521 posts, read 5,683,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
The neighborhoods are also deceiving. The house may look small from the street but a lot of the people that live there are very well-off. There isn’t a lot of show-off, gaudy wealth. It’s definitely quiet old money.
That sounds terrible.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
That sounds terrible.
Why?

Old 06-27-2019, 04:08 PM

37 posts, read 39,160 times
Thanks much for the tips and advice, gives me a starting point. Excited to come.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:06 PM

300 posts, read 257,272 times
You will love Spartanburg! What Lynchburg lover is trying to say is that people in Spartanburg are very friendly no matter what there economic status. My wife and I live on the eastside of Spartanburg and we love it. I also have a condo on the westside and have lived over there too. It is like two cities in one. The eastside has a lot of beautiful parks, lakes, and trails. it is connected to downtown. There are a lot of very nice neighborhoods. Converse Heights, Fernwood, Hillbrook, Pierce Acres, Eastway Park, Lake Forest, Woodburn Hills, Duncan Park, Oak Creek, Glen Forest, Roberts Meadows, Hillcrest, and Andrew Farms. Hampton Heights has very old homes. The westside has a more urban feel and is very large and stretchs all the way to Duncan/ Lyman and Reidville to the west and Pauline to the southwest. There are trails on the westside and beautiful neighborhoods over there too. Park hills and Woodland Heights are two of the older neighborhoods over there that I know of. The Wadsworth trail is on the westside. On that trail there are probably fifteen or twenty neighborhoods on that trail system alone. The westside is exploding with new homes and neighborhoods. Then you have Boiling Springs and Inman to the north of Spartanburg which is exploding with new neighborhoods and homes too. If you need any help please let us know!

Old 06-28-2019, 06:25 AM

37 posts, read 38,734 times
I will add that even if you are on the east side (as I am), there is a back way where you can cut over the I-85 and be there in like 5 minutes if you need interstate access. I have been on the east side my whole 55 year life living in Duncan Park (a great underated neighborhood), Hillcrest, Converse Heights, and now Hillbrook. Homes in Converse Heights are very nice but mainly 1920's bungalows with bad electricity and plumbing, no closet space, and no carports. Even to this day on about 25% of the homes have been totally redone.

Not blowing my own neighborhoods horn too loudly but you get a lot of bang for the buck in Hillbrook and a fair amount of the homes are in the county (no city sewer taxes) even though most of the neighborhood is in the city. I work on the west side but other than that spend very little time over there. There is nothing really wrong with it other than very crowded but prefer east side and downtown.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmtndude View Post
I will add that even if you are on the east side (as I am), there is a back way where you can cut over the I-85 and be there in like 5 minutes if you need interstate access. I have been on the east side my whole 55 year life living in Duncan Park (a great underated neighborhood), Hillcrest, Converse Heights, and now Hillbrook. Homes in Converse Heights are very nice but mainly 1920's bungalows with bad electricity and plumbing, no closet space, and no carports. Even to this day on about 25% of the homes have been totally redone.

Not blowing my own neighborhoods horn too loudly but you get a lot of bang for the buck in Hillbrook and a fair amount of the homes are in the county (no city sewer taxes) even though most of the neighborhood is in the city. I work on the west side but other than that spend very little time over there. There is nothing really wrong with it other than very crowded but prefer east side and downtown.
Converse Heights does have a lot of bungalows. I was amazed by how many only had one bathroom. However, there are also a LOT with big additions not easily seen from the street and a good number of quite large, expensively remodeled homes. Either way, they command a premium price for the sense of community and location.

Our goal was finding a one level with at least a partial basement so Fernwood was perfect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area