Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2019, 07:34 AM

468 posts, read 465,968 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are in our late 60s and are contemplating a move from Venice Florida to Savannah Lakes Village near McCormick SC. Does anyone have any knowledge of this area? Savannah Lakes is a golfing community and even though we are not golfers we believe we would find the climate more suitable. We've been in Florida for many years and have never adapted to the heat. The explosive population growth here has been a problem also. It's far too crowded here in winter to suit us. We like walking, biking, and being outdoors but those activities have become more difficult to enjoy here. My girlfriend is somewhat social too. We were wondering if people our age would be a good fit for that area. TIA for any info you can provide.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 08:39 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,395,968 times
Augusta Georgia is the closest major city to Savannah Lakes. Greenville is 1.5 hours away.

My family used to go on summer vacation to Hickory Knob State Resort which is next to Savannah Lakes Village.

That is a rural area and I would think it is mostly active retirees.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 08-18-2019 at 08:48 AM..

Old 08-18-2019, 09:54 AM

I would love a rural area as I lived in rural Indiana for much of my life. My girlfriend has tired of life here in southwest Florida so I think she would like that too. We are tired of the relentless heat in summer and also tired of the snowbirds in winter. Individually, snowbirds are fine but en masse they are a pain in the rump.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:12 AM

604 posts, read 583,760 times
Bear in mind that the heat is pretty relentless here during the summer, too. The closer to the mountains, the better it is. I lived in FL for 30 years, and it is much better here, but we are up near the NC border. At least summers are shorter here.

Old 08-19-2019, 04:28 AM

We went to Gatlinburg area last year and liked that except for the tourists. We get enough of that in our current area. I looked at the current temps in the McCormick area and, you are right, it is just as hot there as it is in southwest Florida.

Thank you for your input. We are in the exploratory phase. Two of our friends are contemplating this same move too so we will pass all information we get into them as well.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:24 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,047 times
You are going to get better responses in either the general SC forum or maybe the Augusta GA forum. McCormick isn't remotely close to the Greenville area.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:11 AM

Yes I believe that is true. I'll see if I can figure out how to close this post.

Thanks

Old 08-19-2019, 11:03 AM

5,487 posts, read 8,318,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
You are going to get better responses in either the general SC forum or maybe the Augusta GA forum. McCormick isn't remotely close to the Greenville area.
Debatable. McCormick is just SW of Greenwood. I have family down there. You'll be surprised how often they come to Greenville.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:22 PM

696 posts, read 1,335,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniceman View Post
My girlfriend and I are in our late 60s and are contemplating a move from Venice Florida to Savannah Lakes Village near McCormick SC. Does anyone have any knowledge of this area? Savannah Lakes is a golfing community and even though we are not golfers we believe we would find the climate more suitable. We've been in Florida for many years and have never adapted to the heat. The explosive population growth here has been a problem also. It's far too crowded here in winter to suit us. We like walking, biking, and being outdoors but those activities have become more difficult to enjoy here. My girlfriend is somewhat social too. We were wondering if people our age would be a good fit for that area. TIA for any info you can provide.
It's a pretty nice area. I think it would be a blast to live there for an active retired person. It may be remote, but you can do all of your immediate needs shopping in McCormick, plus Greenwood isn't far at all, and Augusta isn't much farther. You have two great state parks on either side of you. Hickory Knob is especially nice.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:31 AM

428 posts, read 362,264 times
I live in North Augusta, SC. McMcormick is about 38 miles from Augusta. Meanwhile Greenville is about 80 miles away. The town is pretty small. Not my kind of place, but if you want rural that is perfect. Augusta has made some changes since I moved here in 2001. Not that many though. Greenville has completely blown up since my parents moved there in 1995. If you want my opinion I'd move to a small town closer to Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area