Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 09:44 PM

4 posts, read 6,083 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone me and my partner may be moving to SC as i have been offered work in Fountain inn, I was wondering what the surrounding area's are like to live in. Any advice on my move would be appreciated. thanks Craig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 09:50 PM

5,556 posts, read 15,329,977 times
Hi CRAIGUK!

Coming from overseas, I recommend contacting the International Center of the Upstate for more information about the Greenville area. They are great about helping people from other countries around the globe. Here is a page for newcomers (http://www.internationalupstate.org/Newcomers.html - broken link) that provides links to other sites with important information.

I really hope you will be able to move to Greenville someday soon, or at least come for a visit!

Old 03-19-2008, 03:53 PM

6 posts, read 15,814 times
Smile Hi!

Hi CRAIGUK - I moved to the US from the UK a few years ago and I love the Greenville area in fact we are moving there in two weeks. You may or may not love it depending on what you are looking for in a place. One thing you will love is the price of petrol, property and food compared to the UK ...and of course the weather...unless you love that grey weather.
Where in the UK are you coming from and how well acquainted are you with the USA?

Old 03-19-2008, 05:55 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,823,277 times
HAHAHA! I have never felt like such a spoiled american as I just did. when Talieja said they loved the price of petrol I was thinking to myself, this person is off their rocker. not many americans realize how expensive fuel is in europe.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:18 AM

Hi Again, I will be coming over from Liverpool and am looking for a safe , clean and family place to settle down and raise my own family

Old 03-21-2008, 02:16 AM

6 posts, read 15,814 times
Wink Well then...

Well then I'd say take the job and come on over, you are gonna love it here!

Old 03-25-2008, 02:34 PM

46 posts, read 139,074 times
Hi CraigUK,
You might guess from the name I'm originally from Newcastle (well Scotland actually but lived in Newcastle), I moved to the States 7 years ago, lived in New York for 5 years or so then moved down here to Simpsonville about 18 months ago.
Simpsonville is the next 'city' (no towns in the USA!) to Fountain Inn and you'll find there is pretty much all you will need as far as regular shopping, restaurants etc within a couple of miles, and the Greenville Mall is only about 8 miles away for all the other things.
One thing you will need to do as soon as you get here is sort out your drivers license (learners permit) and pass the driving test - shouldn't be any problem, the test here is easier than New York City, and that only took 10 minutes. People think it's ok to drive using their UK license untill they get used to driving on the right (wrong) side of the road, but if you are moving here then your UK license is no good, if you get stopped by a traffic cop you can get all sorts of tickets - no license, no insurance (cos your insurance becomes void when the ins co. finds you don't have a license) etc etc. Car Insurance is a little bit more expensive than the UK, and as a 'new driver' you will pay a slightly higher premium for the first 4 years (I couldn't find an insurance co. that would take my 20+ years of driving in the UK into consideration at all).
No buses to speak of (except for school buses which you will learn to avoid at all costs untill your kids start using them - you'll find out why when you start reading up on your driving test) so a car is essential, and again, compared to NYC car prices are pretty good (and definitely better than UK).
Apart from the above all you need to get used to is nice weather most of the time - occasional ice storms and tornado warnings (warnings but not actual tornados so far), temps up into the 70'sF from sometime in March during the day and down into the 30's at night, but that will change soon then it'll feel hot all day and warm/hot all night untill you turn on the AC!
So, all in all it's a lot like Liverpool or Newcastle............right? (no need to answer).
When are you planning on moving?
Dave

Old 03-25-2008, 02:45 PM

4 posts, read 13,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAIGUK View Post
Hi Again, I will be coming over from Liverpool and am looking for a safe , clean and family place to settle down and raise my own family
HEY THERE!! ANOTHER PLACE YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN IS THE LAURENS AREA. ONLY 20 MILES FROM FOUNTAIN INN. LAURENS IS A SMALLER TOWN, CONTINUING TO BUILD ALL THE TIME. YOU WILL GET THE COUNTRY LIFE BUT STILL HAVE EASY ACCESS TO GREENVILLE, SIMPSONVILLE, AND EVEN SPARTANBURG. THEY HAVE A WONDERFUL PRIVATE SCHOOL, LAURENS ACADEMY. MY SON IS IN THE 6TH GRADE AND HAS BEEN ATTENDING LAURENS ACADEMY SINCE K-4. THERE IS ALSO A SUBDIVISION LOCATED RIGHT THERE NEARBY. YOU WOULD ONLY BE 20 MIN. FROM FOUNTAIN INN. THE SCHOOL IS LOCATED RIGHT OFF 385. YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK IT OUT. LAURENSACADEMY.COM. GOOD LUCK WITH WHATEVER YOU CHOOSE.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:30 AM

Hi, Geordie am still waiting on the Job offer but i guess if it comes off, i will be moving around June.
Am i right in saying i would be better to rent at the moment???

Old 03-26-2008, 07:28 AM

169 posts, read 569,672 times
Hi Craig, we are new residents of South Carolina. We rented for a few months in Simpsonville and bought a house in Fountain Inn. Your question is a good one and I would suggest renting. Until you have been here it is very hard to determine where you want to live. We were unsure for a few weeks, but driving around with the help of a gps helped us decide where we thought would be best for us. My husband works at GE and his commute isn't too bad. We preferred I385 to an I85 commute and had decided to stay away from the madness of Woodruff Road. The area where your job is going to be is where we settled. We love Fountain Inn, the subdivision we live is is about 20 years old, with alot of trees, away from the busy roads, yet close to I385 and Fairview Road shopping. Exactly what we were looking for. Right now I believe there are 2 homes for sale here. If you want more info let me know....and if I can answer any other questions, feel free to PM or post. Good Luck, I can only imagine how stressful a relo to a new country is. We only moved from Pennsylvania, and it was alot. Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area