Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 09:27 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,258,079 times

Advertisements

At long last the downward slide and decline of BI-LO is now over and Food Lion is taking over. Sorry to see the end of another Upstate legacy brand just like Ryan's. But BI-LO's better days have long passed and is no longer a strong locally based business. Hopefully the new upgraded Food Lion under Ahold/Delhaize will be an improvement. Ahold does a good job with its Giant divisions and hopefully that will carry over with Food Lion, but that still seems a work in progress. I still remember way back when BI-LO had the big cow on the roof and in the signage. Memories of the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 10:06 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,194,549 times
How about the old retired guy sitting in the raised office with a pump shotgun hanging just over his head?

Old 06-04-2020, 10:34 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,667,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
They will get their share especially with Bi-Lo gone now. I just find Publix and Ingles expensive on many items and some I know just despise Walmart for grocery shopping.

I'll say this for Food Lion. The prices are competitive. I pick up the FL ice cream for my dad at the Greenwood Food Lion. Many weeks it's cheaper than Walmart and certainly Publix and Ingles. Think I paid like $1.99 for it last week. It's normally around 2.39. The Food Lion brands are better than Bi-Lo IMO. The Publix Ice Cream is something like 2 for $7 when it goes on sale. $4 or $5 when it's not.
I agree that their prices are competitive to Walmart, espeically their house brands.

What confuzzles me a bit is that the FL on W. Georgia is never really super busy. I can go in and out of there easier than any other grocery store in town (maybe except for a Friday after work). They will have 3-4 self checkouts and 1-2 manned cashiers open and very little chance you will have to wait in line for more than a minute or two. I have also observed that it seems like there are less weekly grocery shopping (aka full carts) being done at W. Georgia Food Lion...more people are just picking up a few items. (Which is what I'm usually doing).

Go up the road to Walmart NM and there is almost always a wait with more cashiers open.

The Hwy 25 Food Lion is often busy from what I've been told.

Old 06-04-2020, 11:45 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,920,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ForksSC View Post
Welcome back Ahold - I have to say they were great corporate citizens the first time around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I agree that their prices are competitive to Walmart, espeically their house brands.

What confuzzles me a bit is that the FL on W. Georgia is never really super busy. I can go in and out of there easier than any other grocery store in town (maybe except for a Friday after work). They will have 3-4 self checkouts and 1-2 manned cashiers open and very little chance you will have to wait in line for more than a minute or two. I have also observed that it seems like there are less weekly grocery shopping (aka full carts) being done at W. Georgia Food Lion...more people are just picking up a few items. (Which is what I'm usually doing).

Go up the road to Walmart NM and there is almost always a wait with more cashiers open.

The Hwy 25 Food Lion is often busy from what I've been told.
That's why I question the need for 4 supermarkets on that stretch of W. Georgia.

I have been in that Hwy 25 FL many times and it can get quite busy. Guess it serves that end of things with less competition.
I just don't get the appeal of Neighborhood Market or the Supercenters and their lines especially right now. I look for the places with less people. LOL.

Last edited by vistatiger; 06-04-2020 at 12:28 PM..

Old 06-04-2020, 12:12 PM

14,384 posts, read 20,452,244 times
The story we saw says they will sell x number of stores and look for other opportunities to get rid of the rest. In our town we have a Food Lion and Bi-Lo less than 1/4 mile from each other. Food Lion abandons their current store and moves or our Bi-Lo will be one that is closed for other reasons than a sale. Unless they want to change it to a Winn Dixie.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:16 PM

285 posts, read 453,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
How about the old retired guy sitting in the raised office with a pump shotgun hanging just over his head?
But when you were a kid, he would give you a sucker!

Old 06-04-2020, 01:17 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,384,440 times
Bilo didn't adapt with the times and they had bad ownership. This is what happens in business. Food Lion isn't really anything special, but at least the buildings will continue to stay grocery. And Bilo's local memory will forever live on with the Bilo Center.

Old 06-04-2020, 03:11 PM

2,208 posts, read 2,816,164 times
Bilo should have focused on their core competency of running a successful entertainment venue and dropped the supermarket part long ago. :->

Old 06-04-2020, 05:13 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,040,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Bilo didn't adapt with the times and they had bad ownership. This is what happens in business. Food Lion isn't really anything special, but at least the buildings will continue to stay grocery. And Bilo's local memory will forever live on with the Bilo Center.
If only ahold didn’t commit securities violations- Bi-Lo may have continued to grow the banner up market, but that didn’t happen. They served the mill towns and the suburbs well. But never made the transition with a more affluent “middle class” customer the operators continue to earn exorbitant fees for these machinations. With food lion, the stores will be better stocked and staffed. Employees have much better benefits and opportunities for advancement fresher product, convenience, and a happy landlord - and community. It really is great news What puzzles me is, again, C&S role in this. Food Lion gets distribution center too? Will C&S receive capacity from ahold /delhaize supply chain? Stores from SEG? Something will need to be decisioned soon regarding the “orphaned” stores. super Bi Lo store gresham plaza Simpsonville -highway 14 and main - comes to mind as a site that could use a redevelopment. The potential is huge Publix could pull that off. The Lyman lease is prob month or close It could go dark. And at no cost to FL.

Old 06-04-2020, 05:42 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,920,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ForksSC View Post
If only ahold didn’t commit securities violations- Bi-Lo may have continued to grow the banner up market, but that didn’t happen. They served the mill towns and the suburbs well. But never made the transition with a more affluent “middle class” customer the operators continue to earn exorbitant fees for these machinations. With food lion, the stores will be better stocked and staffed. Employees have much better benefits and opportunities for advancement fresher product, convenience, and a happy landlord - and community. It really is great news What puzzles me is, again, C&S role in this. Food Lion gets distribution center too? Will C&S receive capacity from ahold /delhaize supply chain? Stores from SEG? Something will need to be decisioned soon regarding the “orphaned” stores. super Bi Lo store gresham plaza Simpsonville -highway 14 and main - comes to mind as a site that could use a redevelopment. The potential is huge Publix could pull that off. The Lyman lease is prob month or close It could go dark. And at no cost to FL.
The DC is going to Ahold Delhaise according to this. I guess there could be other potential transactions with the remaining stores and announcements forthcoming. Not sure who would be interested unless it is Publix. Doesn't seem to be common for Harris Teeter or Lowe's to acquire a competitors footprint. They have been building from ground up.
Wonder if this explains Lowe's Foods reversal and decision to build the Pelham Rd store if they heard these changes were coming.

https://www.supermarketnews.com/reta...astern-grocers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area