Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 07:10 AM

130 posts, read 77,509 times

Advertisements

I will say that if you had told me 15 years ago that today we'd be talking about how good the food is at gas stations, I would have told you that you were out of your mind. Yet here we are...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 09:33 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,824,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
I will say that if you had told me 15 years ago that today we'd be talking about how good the food is at gas stations, I would have told you that you were out of your mind. Yet here we are...
It used to be that a C-store could sustain itself on gas, cigarettes and coffee. That began to change in the early 90's. Back then the big fuel companies owned a large percentage of these stores (Exxon, Mobil, CITGO). Margins began to decline, so the oil companies pulled out. Sales from just fuel dipped as cars became more fuel-efficient, customers smoked less. So the smaller chain C-stores saw an opportunity to evolve if they wanted to survive. The better chains, like Wa-Wa, QT, etc, saw what customers really wanted and reacted to it.

There is still a lot of room to evolve even more. With electric vehicle charging coming online, customers will have more time to mill around the store. I can see more products being offered that maybe you would get from a CVS or Dollar Store. Prepared foods to go or even sit down dinners may become the norm. You will certainly see a blurring of the lines in the future of C-stores.

Old 07-06-2021, 10:28 AM

826 posts, read 1,126,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
It used to be that a C-store could sustain itself on gas, cigarettes and coffee. That began to change in the early 90's. Back then the big fuel companies owned a large percentage of these stores (Exxon, Mobil, CITGO). Margins began to decline, so the oil companies pulled out. Sales from just fuel dipped as cars became more fuel-efficient, customers smoked less. So the smaller chain C-stores saw an opportunity to evolve if they wanted to survive. The better chains, like Wa-Wa, QT, etc, saw what customers really wanted and reacted to it.

There is still a lot of room to evolve even more. With electric vehicle charging coming online, customers will have more time to mill around the store. I can see more products being offered that maybe you would get from a CVS or Dollar Store. Prepared foods to go or even sit down dinners may become the norm. You will certainly see a blurring of the lines in the future of C-stores.

Sheetz already has EV chargers at a lot of their stations. I'm guessing those will start to be come more common at gas stations over the coming years. Wouldn't surprise if they start popping up at restaurants along interstates too. Charge while you stop for lunch or dinner on the road trip.

Old 07-06-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmike View Post
Sheetz already has EV chargers at a lot of their stations. I'm guessing those will start to be come more common at gas stations over the coming years. Wouldn't surprise if they start popping up at restaurants along interstates too. Charge while you stop for lunch or dinner on the road trip.
To encourage dining at restaurants, I could see offering free or subsidized charging.

Old 07-25-2021, 10:17 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
Buc-ee’s billboards now up all along I-85 in Anderson County. It’s a sign of things to come…literally.

Old 07-25-2021, 10:11 PM

192 posts, read 207,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Buc-ee’s billboards now up all along I-85 in Anderson County. It’s a sign of things to come…literally.
Great to hear. Out of curiosity, do you remember what any of the billboards said?

I'm hearing that Buc-ee's is slated for 2023 / 2024 due to the road improvements that will have to happen at that exit.

(Meanwhile, you will have to housing communities coming soon to that exit, right next to and across from Buc-ee's, that will have about 300 units and another 3 residential units within 2 miles that will have another 350 to 400 units. A lot of growth on a two lane highway in Anderson County but Buc-ee's will be working with SCDOT to widen the bridge and the road to 7-Eleven along with redoing the interchange and the bridge, at least that is what I heard.)

Old 07-26-2021, 05:09 AM

They basically just said how many miles it is to the closest Buc-ee’s. Had the big beaver logo on them too. 180-190 miles depending on the billboard. They’re located between mile markers 20-30 heading southbound on I-85. There’s at least three of them.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:23 AM

192 posts, read 207,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
They basically just said how many miles it is to the closest Buc-ee’s. Had the big beaver logo on them too. 180-190 miles depending on the billboard. They’re located between mile markers 20-30 heading southbound on I-85. There’s at least three of them.
I will assume that those particular Billboards are probably in reference to the Buc-ee's location in Calhoun, Georgia that will be opening next month.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim.brayden.sherman View Post
I will assume that those particular Billboards are probably in reference to the Buc-ee's location in Calhoun, Georgia that will be opening next month.
g-man is easily excitable.

Old 07-26-2021, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
g-man is easily excitable.
Well, they didn’t put them on this section of I-85 by coincidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area