Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2020, 07:29 PM

4 posts, read 4,437 times

Advertisements

Any info on living in Travelers Rest? I see land for sale. Surprised it hasn't been scooped up by developers. Is it a good place to live if you're commuting to Greenville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 03:10 AM

604 posts, read 583,919 times
We live about 5 miles north of TR. My wife worked at St. Francis Hospital in downtown Greenville. It was 17 miles door-to-door, and took right at a half an hour. Compared to where we lived in FL, it was a breeze. When we bought land, we carefully considered quality of life with work needs. When you come home to rural acreage at the end of a work day, it's liking being on vacation.

What I'm glad of is that neither of us had to commute on I-85. That's where I see the most traffic problems on a daily basis. There are other spots on surface roads where development has quickly outpaced road construction. Roads such as Locust Hill Rd (290) are getting to be a hassle because of all of the subdivisions springing up. It depends upon where in TR you live, and where you are headed to determine whether commuting will be a hassle. For us, going down 25 to 276, and on down into the downtown area is not so bad, and going on down 25 to the west side of Greenville isn't bad, either.

As for land- even out here, it is getting scooped up by developers if it's good, buildable land. When we searched for property back in 2006, we only found two properties out of 25 or so that we would have considered. We had a budget, a maximum distance from Greenville, and didn't want any land with 'issues'. Most of the land we looked at was either too steep, or in a flood zone. Steeply sloped land can be built on, but can't be used for anything else. When you consider land, look it up on the Greenville County GIS maps to check for things like flood zones. With our hilly terrain and clay soil, you do NOT want to build at 'the bottom of the hill'. We built on a ridge, and every time there are flash flood warnings, we roll over and go back to sleep.

Old 12-16-2020, 12:23 PM

Thank you! VERY helpful!

Old 12-21-2020, 08:56 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,446,932 times
We've been here since '08 and love it, half hour into downtown Greenville, and my job is roughly the same distance, with light traffic.

We have one acre, it backs up to woods that can't be developed, which is nice.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:17 PM

14 posts, read 10,196 times
We looked at some open plots that looked inviting until we visited and they were very steep, we wouldn’t have been able to build without doubling our budget at least. That caused us to look at existing homes.

Old 12-31-2020, 07:34 PM

Thanks for the info everyone!

Old 01-05-2021, 09:25 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
We've been here since '08 and love it, half hour into downtown Greenville, and my job is roughly the same distance, with light traffic.

We have one acre, it backs up to woods that can't be developed, which is nice.
That's always nice! Some of the nicer (ahem, MUCH nicer) homes in one development near me actually back up to Army Corps of Engineers land. Great, quiet neighbors just don't damage their trees...

Old 01-12-2021, 12:40 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,446,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutoro View Post
We looked at some open plots that looked inviting until we visited and they were very steep, we wouldn’t have been able to build without doubling our budget at least. That caused us to look at existing homes.
Great point. Ours needed a slight bit of excavation work as we are on a hill.

Old 01-12-2021, 03:51 AM

604 posts, read 583,919 times
We're on a hill, too, and a walk-out basement was the perfect set-up for us. There's a big difference between 'hill' and 'cliff', though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area